Jellyfin Forum
Movie Cover Image Inside mkv File - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Movie Cover Image Inside mkv File (/t-movie-cover-image-inside-mkv-file)

Movie Cover Image Inside mkv File - Ahsoka - 2023-12-19

I'm going through and ripping my movie disc collection to mkv for use on Jellyfin and a lot of the movies will have cover images that'll get saved into the mkv output. Is there a way to get Jellyfin to use that image art inside of the mkv file?

Looking to use local metadata as I would think that would be more performant than grabbing from external sites (will have to work on setting up caching and such for the metadata on the server also).

Thanks!

RE: Movie Cover Image Inside mkv File - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-19

(2023-12-19, 04:32 PM)Ahsoka Wrote: I'm going through and ripping my movie disc collection to mkv for use on Jellyfin and a lot of the movies will have cover images that'll get saved into the mkv output. Is there a way to get Jellyfin to use that image art inside of the mkv file?

Looking to use local metadata as I would think that would be more performant than grabbing from external sites (will have to work on setting up caching and such for the metadata on the server also).

Thanks!

Jellyfin always saves and caches metadata it pulls from the Internet.  It is not retrieving data from the Internet each time you load the page.

To answer your question, Jellyfin can extract embedded images, but you have to set the priority of the embedded image higher than online sources.  For shows, this is only available for the image of each episode.

RE: Movie Cover Image Inside mkv File - Ahsoka - 2023-12-20

Thanks a ton again for all your help.

Where does Jellyfin cache the metadata, within the appdata or alongside the media?

I been seeing mentions of metadata being slow to load (ie poster wall) and I can't quite find what's the main cause of this and how to avoid it.

Ahh, I see the extract embedded images, had it unchecked. Once I checked this it worked for embedded images on special features of movies, but not on the main movie itself (which also has the embedded image).

RE: Movie Cover Image Inside mkv File - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2023-12-20

You have the option of storing metadata all in your config folder or along with your media files.

No matter where you chose to store them, when they are read, they will be saved to the cache folder. Things like images will have its quality downgraded a bit as they're saved to the cache folder so that clients can access them faster. You can find where this is by going to your dashboard and seeing where the /cache folder mount points to on your container or system. There's a setting in the dashboard to clear out this cache folder on a regular basis.

When your cache folder gets called, that metadata from it will get stored in ram until it's no longer needed and the space is replaced with something else.

Basically you have:
1. Permanent metadata storage
2. "Temporary" metadata cache storage
3. Temporary location in ram

RE: Movie Cover Image Inside mkv File - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-20

I would need to know your OS and whether you use virtualization to say exactly where it is stored. On my bare metal Linux install it is stored in /var/lib/jellyfin/metadata and /var/cache/jellyfin.

I'm running Unraid w/ Jellyfin Docker and have all of the appdata/config saved exclusively on my 1TB SSD cache disk. I'm guessing this is where the metadata would be stored? Generally, how large does the metadata cache get for a library that is 100+?

RE: Movie Cover Image Inside mkv File - tmsrxzar - 2023-12-20

(2023-12-20, 05:57 PM)Ahsoka Wrote: Generally, how large does the metadata cache get for a library that is 100+?

for comparison, my current setup is using 1.8GB for 687 Movies and 8 Shows containing 1061 Episodes total in the cache folder
the data folder is using a total of 3.8GB

combined in total jellyfin is using 6.8GB outside of it's docker volume
the docker volume is an additional 728MB

Thanks that was very helpful for sizing!