Jellyfin Forum
The client isn't compatible.. - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: The client isn't compatible.. (/t-the-client-isn-t-compatible)

The client isn't compatible.. - chemsciguy - 2023-12-20

I've got a Raspberry Pi 4 with Libreelec, Kodi and NextPVR recording Live TV.  I saw some info about Jellyfin and I was hoping it would let me watch the shows I recorded on the Pi with my Fire tablet and/or iPhone.  On the Raspberry Pi I've downloaded the Jellyfin from the Libreelec addon repository.  I got the app installed on the fire tablet and iphone and I can see all of the recorded shows but I can't play any of the mpeg2 files on either device or via the localhost:8096 web portal.  I've added the logs so I hope that's enough to get some help.  The error I'm getting is: "The client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible media format".  Thanks in advance.

RE: The client isn't compatible.. - Venson - 2023-12-20

Hey.

I can only recommend you to reading our docs on the matter of SBC's.
RaspberryPIs are only ever usuable with media servers, including Jellyfin if you only have media in a format that your client can actually play. In any other case you have to configure Transcoding and RPI's are just not equipped for that task.

RE: The client isn't compatible.. - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-20

Whatever repo you got this from is not using the latest build. And it is using an especially old version of ffmpeg. Not that the RPi can do any kind of transcoding at a useful resolution or frame rate, which is what your setup is trying to do.

Whatever client you are using does not support your media directly, which is why Jellyfin is trying to transcode.

Code:
TranscodeReason=ContainerNotSupported, VideoCodecNotSupported, AudioCodecNotSupported

RE: The client isn't compatible.. - chemsciguy - 2023-12-20

(2023-12-20, 01:50 AM)Venson Wrote: I can only recommend you to reading our docs on the matter of SBC's.
I did see that bit of information in the documents.  Unfortunately, I didn't discover Jellyfin until well after I embarked on my DVR project and I'm just trying to see if I can get everything working to justify getting proper hardware.

RE: The client isn't compatible.. - chemsciguy - 2023-12-20

(2023-12-20, 02:03 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Whatever repo you got this from is not using the latest build.  And it is using an especially old version of ffmpeg.  Not that the RPi can do any kind of transcoding at a useful resolution or frame rate, which is what your setup is trying to do.

Whatever client you are using does not support your media directly, which is why Jellyfin is trying to transcode.

Code:
TranscodeReason=ContainerNotSupported, VideoCodecNotSupported, AudioCodecNotSupported

Is it possible to do without transcoding?  I've been trying to avoid it up to this point because I was aware of the limitation for SBCs.  As far as I know, FFmpeg Tools was installed automatically with the other addons and is version 11.0.0.0 by Team LibreELEC.

RE: The client isn't compatible.. - tmsrxzar - 2023-12-20

pretty sure LibreELEC installs jellyfin into a little arm docker container which has it's own ffmpeg
in any case there should be no interaction with other installed addons like ffmpeg tools

and ffmpeg is ffmpeg no matter the package, it's not going to overcome lack of rpi hardware capability just because you used a different package

pre-encoding media to fit your clients is about the only option you have since you chose hardware the defeats jellyfin's capability of transcoding on-the-fly