Jellyfin Forum
Casting Jellyfin through Tailscale connected device - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Networking & Access (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-networking-access)
+---- Thread: Casting Jellyfin through Tailscale connected device (/t-casting-jellyfin-through-tailscale-connected-device)

Pages: 1 2

Casting Jellyfin through Tailscale connected device - Checkerknight - 2023-07-14

To preface, I am not educated when it comes to network configuration so I will most definently need some deep explanation and guiding here.

I have a raspberry pi running a jellyfin server, with Tailscale installed to allow for remote access. Jellyfin works great, Tailscale and remote access works great, and I can cast to any device on the network with no problems at all. Aside from Tailscale and setting a static IP for the pi, I have done NO other network configuration to any of the setup.

My goal is to be able to cast my media to devices off network. I would like to sit at a friend's place, or hotel while on a trip, connect to a Chromecast device, and cast from my Tailscale network through my phone.

From what I understand I will need to (in a sense) trick the pi into thinking that Tailscale is in fact the lan network, so that it thinks it's casting media locally? Kinda pulling this out of my ass so I could definently use some guidance here, and need to know if this is possible. Any and all information I will provide. Thank you Jellyfin family.

RE: Casting Jellyfin through Tailscale connected device - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-14

This is probably better asked on the Tailscale forum since Jellyfin is only involved by proxy. There is probably more expertise about the ins and outs of Tailscale there.

WITHOUT Tailscale, just a plain ole Internet accessible Jellyfin server (behind a reverse proxy), this is 100% possible. I've done it.

Having said all that...

I would assume that to get Tailscale to communicate over whatever local network you are on, you would need to bridge the virtual NIC that Tailscale creates with the physical NIC in your phone/PC/whatever you are trying to cast from. I have no idea whether Tailscale can do that or how to if it does.

I am also pulling this out of my ass.

RE: Casting Jellyfin through Tailscale connected device - Checkerknight - 2023-07-15

I will look to Tailscale as well, but is Tailscale not just the equivalent of a reverse proxy and adding remote access? If you did it without Tailscale how do you remote access?

RE: Casting Jellyfin through Tailscale connected device - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-15

Tailscale is just a fancy node-to-node VPN. It would be like accessing it from the same network.

Without tailscale you would need to install a web server app (apache, nginx, caddy, etc), acquire a DDNS address, and optional, but highly suggested, get a cert for https.

Jellyfin's site has guides for the latter process.

RE: Casting Jellyfin through Tailscale connected device - Checkerknight - 2023-07-20

I've spent a few days looking into it but I am having extreme difficulty getting anywhere. I attempted installing caddy and setting it up but I do believe that Tailscale was causing issues. Tomorrow I will attempt to just abandon Tailscale and try to set up nginx. Would you be willing to PM me to assist if I have further trouble?

RE: Casting Jellyfin through Tailscale connected device - Jellix - 2023-07-20

I use Tailscale w/o any hassels exactly according to your description without any additional configuration. As an Apple user in the Hotel I take my IOS device (where Tailscale is always connected with my Jellyfin server at home) and stream Jellyfin content by Tailscale-VPN to any Airplay-enabled device somewhere around. I dunno if this might be a problem if it's about Chromecast but Airplay does the job.

RE: Casting Jellyfin through Tailscale connected device - Checkerknight - 2023-07-20

Not sure if the technical differences between Airplay and Chromecast, but regardless I have an Android device and in no way plan to change over to apple products. It could be that your Airplay devices are also running through Tailscale, which is not an option for a chromecast. (Apart from the android TV implemented versions)

RE: Casting Jellyfin through Tailscale connected device - Jellix - 2023-07-20

I also use Android devices, which have been my main devices in the past. But to be honest, I became tired about all this hassels and exceptions regarding this or that won't work like expected. Also Chromecast was one of the worries I put much time into. However, in your case it might be a solution just take a simple cable and connect by wire since modern smartphones are delivering audio and video through their USB-C connectors.

Connect what by wire? The TV to my phone? Either way wirelessly casting is what I am aiming to do so a wire doesn't really appeal to me 😅

RE: Casting Jellyfin through Tailscale connected device - Revv23 - 2023-10-09

tailscale is easy...

1. install tailscale on every device you want to use it on
2. log in on each device
3. find the tailscale assigned ip of your JF server
4. use that IP in whatever jellyfin client you are using as the server address.

a few drawbacks...
1. cant run tailscale on TV based clients (roku, appletv, smart tvs, etc.)
2. no way (or at least beyond my understanding) to match tailscale addresses to local ip addresses so you have to change server addresses as you are entering and exiting your local network.

For your usecase wireless casting it should be perfect.