Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Playback very stop/start over Wifi - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Playback very stop/start over Wifi (/t-solved-playback-very-stop-start-over-wifi)

Pages: 1 2

Playback very stop/start over Wifi - S7ewie - 2023-12-25

I feel like I'm slowly working my way through the issues but unfortunately still having a few..

Setup:
Running JellyFin on a home media NAS server. CPU: i5-12400 for quick sync transcoding. OS: Unraid.

Last night me and my partner were trying to watch a 4K HDR film on our new Samsung TV via the JellyFin App in Tizen (LAN connection). Every now and then the film would stop and wouldn't restart until we quit and re-opened the app. 

I concluded that, since the JellyFin app wasn't officially supported on Tizen, maybe there would issues there so we decided to move to our 1080p bedroom TV with Chromecast with Google TV. 

After a while it started stopping too. Thought this time it would restart if I hit pause and play.. strangely though, when it resumed, it would resume with Chinese subtitles so I'd have to keep turning that back off. In the end we got fed up. I had a flick through the settings and set subtitles to None and also found that some people had issues with transcoding throttling so I turned that off. After doing this the media would still stop, but seemingly less frequently and it would now start by itself with without Chinese subtitles.

I thought it might have been an issue with transcoding but from looking at the Admin dashboard it seems as though transcoding was staying ahead of the playback. I doublechecked this on my pc using the browser (LAN connection), playback was fine even though it needed transcoding.

I decided to try with the Chromecast on the 4K TV and this was stopping and starting even more frequently. It's definitely not the media though as JellyFin admin says that the media is compatible so no transcoding is necessary.

So I'm kind left thinking that the WiFi transfer speeds are bottlenecking? I don't really understand what my WiFi speeds between devices are capable of and if this is likely to be the cause of the issue. Is it the Chromecast? I was going to buy a second one of these for the 4K TV but do I need to look for something with an Ethernet connection instead?

RE: Playback very stop/start over Wifi - Serge K - 2023-12-25

Of course your WiFi is bottlenecking. What is the technology of your WiFi? 2.4 or 5 or AC or WiFi6?

RE: Playback very stop/start over Wifi - S7ewie - 2023-12-25

(2023-12-25, 07:20 PM)Serge K Wrote: Of course your WiFi is bottlenecking. What is the technology of your WiFi? 2.4 or 5 or AC or WiFi6?

I think the router is capable of all. But the Chromecast has opted to use 2.4 WiFi 4

I have a Ubiquiti Dream Router.

https://eu.store.ui.com/eu/en/products/udr

Chromecast must support AC or is it old model ?
If Cromecast does not see 5/AC wifi net try to change wifi channel on the router

Sorry what do you mean by AC? 802.11ac? I'm not sure to be honest. Its the Chromecast with Google TV but it was probably the first generation of it, I don't know how many there are now and/or if the first versions did or didn't support it. I can't seen to find anything to suggest that there's a 2nd or 3rd gen.

yes AC = 802.11ac

so play with router settings - Chromecast supports wifi 5 or AC

Okay so after a bunch of playing around and resetting devices it seems to be on 802.11ac now. But.. same problem Confused-face so I'm not really sure what the problem is now.

Jellyfin server on the PC? Media files are on the PC?
What is the connection between PC and router?

Ok so I noticed that when it was stopping and starting, the sound was being a bit weird. So I changed the Audio from "Stereo" to "Direct".. no more issues 😳

Was that seriously the reason why it wasn't working?

Yes, because transcoding is doing for video and/or audio. Possible client is not compatible with audio from media file.