Jellyfin Forum
Help - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Help (/t-help--3531)

Pages: 1 2

Help - Veoxer - 2023-12-29

Hello, so I got me recently an old Intel NUC (NUC7i5BNK) running Win 10 Pro and got me Jellyfin server. I noticed something that bothers me a lil bit and that's when I play an episode/movie it takes a few seconds to actually start playing. I have Hardware Acceleration enabled and set to Intel QuickSync (QSV) and the following sttings :

[Image: YnsJ0Xp.png]

I checked the codec info of that video and here it is : 

[Image: nOXwFNR.png]

And when I check playback reports on Jellyfin it says that the video was direct played.

Is there anything I can do to improve this please?
Thanks.

RE: Help - Serge K - 2023-12-29

what do you want to improve?
it is very good if media is playing without transcoding (directly).
Trancoding can not make from 1080 to 4k or 720 to 1080 but vise verse it is working.

RE: Help - Veoxer - 2023-12-29

I don't like how slow it is, launching an episode or a movie and having to wait like 10sec for it to actually start playing.

RE: Help - Serge K - 2023-12-29

which client are you using?

Jellyfin installed on my Chromecast

RE: Help - tmsrxzar - 2023-12-29

(2023-12-29, 03:58 PM)Veoxer Wrote: Jellyfin installed on my Chromecast

makes sense now, no there's nothing you can do from jellyfin to make Chromecast work better, it is a device limitation

RE: Help - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-29

10 seconds is on the slower side, but not out of the ordinary for transcoding on older hardware.

Is your transcode directory on a SSD or HDD?

(2023-12-29, 04:07 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote:
(2023-12-29, 03:58 PM)Veoxer Wrote: Jellyfin installed on my Chromecast

makes sense now, no there's nothing you can do from jellyfin to make Chromecast work better, it is a device limitation

Really? hmm okay.

(2023-12-29, 04:36 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: 10 seconds is on the slower side, but not out of the ordinary for transcoding on older hardware.

Is your transcode directory on a SSD or HDD?

But on the logs it says that it's using Direct Play.
I'm using an HDD to store the media files, but the system is running on an SSD.

RE: Help - TheDreadPirate - 2023-12-29

When I switched my Jellyfin server from Windows to Linux, Jellyfin became much more responsive. I think Windows Defender is the cause of your sluggish-ness.

You could either turn off Windows Defender (not recommended). I think you could also exclude Jellyfin from scans so Windows Defender isn't interfering with it.

(2023-12-29, 06:01 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: When I switched my Jellyfin server from Windows to Linux, Jellyfin became much more responsive.  I think Windows Defender is the cause of your sluggish-ness.

You could either turn off Windows Defender (not recommended).  I think you could also exclude Jellyfin from scans so Windows Defender isn't interfering with it.

Any tutorial or something that I can follow to do that please?