Jellyfin Forum
Setting Jellyfin Docker on NVMe - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Setting Jellyfin Docker on NVMe (/t-setting-jellyfin-docker-on-nvme)

Setting Jellyfin Docker on NVMe - Manatee3866 - 2024-01-02

Hi All,
I want to setup Jellyfin server on Synology NAS. I have installed my "Container Manager (previously named Docker)" on NVMe storage pool (Volume 2).

I plan to keep the actual media on Volume1 setup on traditional HDDs while all docker related data on NVMe storage pool to boost the speed of Jellyfin (and other dockers). 

I am following this guide and I have already created /Volume2/docker/jellyfin/cache and /Volume2/docker/jellyfin/config folders and my media (movies) are located in /Volume1/media/movies folder
  • Is there anything else that I need to do in terms of docker compose or the Jellyfin settings to make the Jellyfin docker make full use of NVMe storage?
  • I don't want to use any hardware transcoding so how can I completely disable it so that Jellyfin never tries to transcode any media.
  • I intend to setup reverse proxy on Synology (for LAN only) so that I can reach Jellyfin and other containers by URL rather than IP address of NAS and different ports like 8096 for Jellyfin. I plan to follow this guide. Do I have to make any changes inside the Jellyfin docker compose file to make the reverse proxy work?
Kind regards

RE: Setting Jellyfin Docker on NVMe - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-01-03

(2024-01-02, 06:20 PM)Manatee3866 Wrote:
  • I don't want to use any hardware transcoding so how can I completely disable it so that Jellyfin never tries to transcode any media.

Disabling HWA will not prevent transcoding. All it will do is move the job of transcoding to the CPU (software encoding). If your Synology NAS has an iGPU, I would still enable it. HWA can always be toggled on or off in Jellyfin's dashboard.

I believe there are some settings in the dashboard for user settings that will prevent transcoding.

RE: Setting Jellyfin Docker on NVMe - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-03

(2024-01-03, 12:52 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote:

Disabling HWA will not prevent transcoding. All it will do is move the job of transcoding to the CPU (software encoding). If your Synology NAS has an iGPU, I would still enable it. HWA can always be toggled on or off in Jellyfin's dashboard.

I believe there are some settings in the dashboard for user settings that will prevent transcoding.

Dashboard -> Users -> (username) -> Uncheck "Allow * playback that requires transcoding"

even though transcoding will be disabled it will just mean those files cannot be played at all
the only way to not use transcoding is to use a client that supports all the media on the server and ensure all the media is compatible with all the clients

RE: Setting Jellyfin Docker on NVMe - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-01-03

• Is there anything else that I need to do in terms of docker compose or the Jellyfin settings to make the Jellyfin docker make full use of NVMe storage?

Having the cache and config folders already on the NVMe will make Jellyfin exclusively use it for config and caching purposes.

As for the Docker container itself, it will be running on the volume your DSM was installed on, which I assume are most likely HDDs in your case. This shouldn't cause too much of a slowdown. You'll have to look online or ask in the Synology forums on how to install Container Manager on your SSD volume.