Jellyfin Forum
Subtitles Causing Roku Streams to Fail - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Subtitles Causing Roku Streams to Fail (/t-subtitles-causing-roku-streams-to-fail)

Subtitles Causing Roku Streams to Fail - GavGaddis - 2024-01-09

First, the details:

Jellyfin version: 10.8.13
Installation method: Linux Docker on an unRAID server.
Clients used: A 4K Roku TV and a small HDMI Roku box plugged into another TV (two or three years old). Everything's on the same network in the same apartment. Rarely does the server have to handle more than 2 instances of Jellyfin viewing at once.

Expected behavior: The viewer can turn subtitles on/switch tracks while watching video content, regardless of if they require burn-in transcoding or not.

Experienced behavior: Since the big 2.0 update, things have gotten fiddly when it comes to any form of subtitles, though SRTs seem to play nice most often. ASS and PGS in particular prove to be problematic (surprisingly nobody). The one consistent behavior is clicking on a subtitle track to select it will cause about a second of loading, and then an error messaging saying there was a problem loading the file. Sometimes the media then keeps playing without subtitles. Sometimes if you select the subtitle a couple more times it'll work. Sometimes if you back out of attempting to watch and resume watching Jellyfin remembers the subtitle selection and they work from that point onward.

Here are the logs from last night from a period of several minutes where I was spam-trying to make both PGS and ASS subtitles across multiple anime episodes that have worked fine in the past.

Part of the issue is the error is inconsistent in showing up. Last night I would've sworn in court "this can be consistently replicated with these files" but, I'll be damned, I just loaded up the same episode of Megalobox that failed in the logs so I could cause it to fail and get the exact wording of the error. Of course it worked perfectly this morning.

All of my subtitle settings in Jellyfin's backend are the default settings, as they've worked fine for my purposes up to this point. Automatic decision on what to burn-in, default visual settings for SRTs.

Any ideas? Regardless, thanks for reading!

RE: Subtitles Causing Roku Streams to Fail - deductivemonkee - 2024-01-10

Exact same issue here since the update. Really infuriating. Most of the time to get subtitles to work you have to:

Enable subtitles
Playback failed
Exit, select a different episode, don't enable subtitles
Exit, go back to the current episode that failed with subtitles
Rewind 10 seconds to sync subtitles to video
Profit

It's stupid. The old ugly roku app worked so much better. Never had a single issue with the subtitles whether SRT or PGS.

RE: Subtitles Causing Roku Streams to Fail - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-10

Can both of you check if you are on the latest version of Roku OS? A couple other Roku users found that, for some reason, their Rokus hadn't updated the OS even when an update was available for a long time.

RE: Subtitles Causing Roku Streams to Fail - 1hitsong - 2024-01-10

Looking at your logs I see this line Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app "Jellyfin Roku" "2.0.0" playing "The Room"

We fixed a ton of subtitle issues in the 2.0.1 release. Check for updates and install the 2.0.1 update and let us know if things change for you.