Jellyfin Forum
Keep watch history when changing drives? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Keep watch history when changing drives? (/t-keep-watch-history-when-changing-drives)

Keep watch history when changing drives? - msterwayne - 2024-01-09

Hi! Pretty much the title. My media collection has expanded and I recently bought two new, larger hard drives. When I copy my movie collection and TV collection to the new drives will I lose my watch history/Up Next/etc? Because when I tell Jellyfin where the media files are now located, it's gonna rescan them all as new right? Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions! 

(running latest Jellyfin version on a Windows 8.1 (enterprise) Thinkpad)

RE: Keep watch history when changing drives? - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-09

use the trakt plugin; it will store watched states based on their content (tvshow/movie/episode) rather than physical drive filename
export everything; transfer to a new jellyfin then there is a task you can run from the dashboard to import watched states
if you're concerned about privacy you can create a dummy anonymous account and use it just the one time then cancel and delete the plugin

RE: Keep watch history when changing drives? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-10

Do this

Stop jellyfin
Move your library to the new drive
Change the drive letter of the new drive so it is the same as the original
Start jellyfin

When Jellyfin starts it won't know the difference if the path is exactly the same.

RE: Keep watch history when changing drives? - msterwayne - 2024-01-10

(2024-01-09, 04:41 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote: use the trakt plugin; it will store watched states based on their content (tvshow/movie/episode) rather than physical drive filename
export everything; transfer to a new jellyfin then there is a task you can run from the dashboard to import watched states
if you're concerned about privacy you can create a dummy anonymous account and use it just the one time then cancel and delete the plugin

Thanks! Will trakt pick up/backfill what is already watched? Or will it just start from after installation?

RE: Keep watch history when changing drives? - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-10

when you install trakt on the existing setup you will "export library to trakt"
then when you reinstall, after rescraping, you will "Import watched states and playback progress from trakt.tv"

then everything will be as it was on the old install

if you keep it active it's configurable to track per user account and if the server ever gets reset you can always import again, it's rather handy

RE: Keep watch history when changing drives? - Revv23 - 2024-01-10

Thanks for this thread I haven't even thought about watch data but I need to do this.

Edit - Question about trakt. Does each user need an account for this method to work?

(2024-01-10, 03:36 AM)tmsrxzar Wrote: when you install trakt on the existing setup you will "export library to trakt"
then when you reinstall, after rescraping, you will "Import watched states and playback progress from trakt.tv"

then everything will be as it was on the old install

if you keep it active it's configurable to track per user account and if the server ever gets reset you can always import again, it's rather handy

How do you trigger the export? I've created an account & linked it to my JF, I have the export option box selected, save & nothing happens. Restarted the server nothing happens. It looks like trakt has a scheduled task in dashboard do I just need to wait 24 hours or is there a way to trigger it?

RE: Keep watch history when changing drives? - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-10

(2024-01-10, 04:39 AM)Revv23 Wrote: or is there a way to trigger it?

to manually start a scheduled task click the triangle on the right of it that looks like a Play icon, when you hover it will say "Start"

(2024-01-10, 04:45 AM)tmsrxzar Wrote:
(2024-01-10, 04:39 AM)Revv23 Wrote: or is there a way to trigger it?

to manually start a scheduled task click the triangle on the right of it that looks like a Play icon, when you hover it will say "Start"

Boom!

Instantly synced up.

Thank you!