Jellyfin Forum
Moving to a new server - use old metadata - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Moving to a new server - use old metadata (/t-moving-to-a-new-server-use-old-metadata)

Pages: 1 2

Moving to a new server - use old metadata - Revv23 - 2024-01-09

Greetings -

This is probably a dumb question so bear with me.

I'm in the process of setting up a new server; on my outgoing server I have my metatdata stored as .nfo & all artwork is saved in media folders.

Will my new server pick up this old info or is it going to rescrape everything?

Thanks!

RE: Moving to a new server - use old metadata - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-09

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/metadata/nfo/

see the first highlighted note after the caution

Quote:It's currently not possible to disable .nfo metadata. Local metadata will always be fetched and has priority over remote metadata providers like TMDb.

RE: Moving to a new server - use old metadata - Revv23 - 2024-01-09

I've seen that.

I already have local metadata and .nfo's in the media files from the old server. I'm wondering if it will pick them up or re-scrape and replace everything.

Guess I'll just give it a shot and report back.

(2024-01-09, 09:26 PM)Revv23 Wrote: I've seen that.

I already have local metadata and .nfo's in the media files from the old server. I'm wondering if it will pick them up or re-scrape and replace everything.

???

it's clearly a yes it will from the text i quoted

it says, you cannot turn off scanning nfo files - which is what you want
it says, nfo files take priority over online metadata - which is what you want

i dont know what this give it shot business is

RE: Moving to a new server - use old metadata - Revv23 - 2024-01-09

(2024-01-09, 09:31 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote:
(2024-01-09, 09:26 PM)Revv23 Wrote: I've seen that.

???

it's clearly a yes it will from the text i quoted

it says, you cannot turn off scanning nfo files - which is what you want
it says, nfo files take priority over online metadata - which is what you want

i dont know what this give it shot business is

I don't even know what you are talking about?

What is yes? I proposed an either/or question. Yes is not  an answer. Yes it will rescrape? Yes it will use existing files?

Anyways - I gave it a shot; and it either replaced or modified the NFO's. However it used the existing images. So I guess in practice it's a little bit of both.

nevermind ... go have fun

RE: Moving to a new server - use old metadata - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-10

I'm not entirely sure. After my server died over the summer I decided to save NFOs, but I haven't had an opportunity to see if NFOs are read without change.

But if your server is Linux, I would ensure that your NFOs are read only for the jellyfin user.

RE: Moving to a new server - use old metadata - Revv23 - 2024-01-10

(2024-01-10, 12:38 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: I'm not entirely sure.  After my server died over the summer I decided to save NFOs, but I haven't had an opportunity to see if NFOs are read without change.

So I'm still in the middle of migration - But have learned some interesting things. In my TV library the new server has replaced all metadata. Both NFO's & Photo's have been rescraped. In movies it has only replaced the .nfo's and the images are still original.

I'm going to compare my settings for both and see if I have them configured differently. My eventual goal is to figure out how to have the metadata and media live together with JF being sort of front end... kind of like a music player. 

Quote: But if your server is Linux, I would ensure that your NFOs are read only for the jellyfin user. 

The files are moving to a synology, the server will be elsewhere but for a few weeks its going to be on the nas itself (going through a move) I'm not sure how to lock only .nfo's; I could make the whole volume read only to the NAS - but then i'd run into problems when adding new content - unless im misunderstanding what you mean.

(2024-01-09, 09:56 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote: nevermind ... go have fun

Sorry my response was too aggressive. Please don't be upset with me & cheers!

RE: Moving to a new server - use old metadata - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-10

(2024-01-10, 02:49 AM)Revv23 Wrote: The files are moving to a synology, the server will be elsewhere but for a few weeks its going to be on the nas itself (going through a move) I'm not sure how to lock only .nfo's; I could make the whole volume read only to the NAS - but then i'd run into problems when adding new content - unless im misunderstanding what you mean.

On my server, once Jellyfin writes the NFOs I run a script to find all the NFOs in my library and chown/chmod the file.

From 660 jellyfin:jellyfin to 640 chris:jellyfin.  Jellyfin can read the file, but can't overwrite it.

RE: Moving to a new server - use old metadata - Revv23 - 2024-01-10

(2024-01-10, 03:25 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote:
(2024-01-10, 02:49 AM)Revv23 Wrote: The files are moving to a synology, the server will be elsewhere but for a few weeks its going to be on the nas itself (going through a move) I'm not sure how to lock only .nfo's; I could make the whole volume read only to the NAS - but then i'd run into problems when adding new content - unless im misunderstanding what you mean.

On my server, once Jellyfin writes the NFOs I run a script to find all the NFOs in my library and chown/chmod the file.

From 660 jellyfin:jellyfin to 640 chris:jellyfin.  Jellyfin can read the file, but can't overwrite it.

Thanks - this is something I will do once everything lands at it's final destinations. I mean it will stay on the NAS but the server won't be.