Jellyfin Forum
Current state of Android TV - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Current state of Android TV (/t-current-state-of-android-tv)

Current state of Android TV - Frenetic89 - 2024-01-09

Hi,

I have android TV and I'm a big fan of Jellyfin. I exclusively stream local movies/shows.
But I've left Jellyfin for Emby due to 2 major reasons:
  • Embedded subtitles are an absolute nightmare
  • When browsing Shows/Movies etc. the title is not displayed below them so you have to select the item to see what it is

I see there's a new major release (0.16.4 currently), but couldn't see clarification on whether these 2 things are fixed. Are they fixed?

Thanks Smiling-face

I also see a call to developers. If need be, I'm happy to release my own version with these fixes, but wouldn't know where to start.
I'm proficient in Java/JavaScript/Python/C#, but can pick up whatever if need be.

RE: Current state of Android TV - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-09

(2024-01-09, 09:56 PM)Frenetic89 Wrote: Hi,

I have android TV and I'm a big fan of Jellyfin. I exclusively stream local movies/shows.
But I've left Jellyfin for Emby due to 2 major reasons:
  • Embedded subtitles are an absolute nightmare
  • When browsing Shows/Movies etc. the title is not displayed below them so you have to select the item to see what it is

I see there's a new major release (0.16.4 currently), but couldn't see clarification on whether these 2 things are fixed. Are they fixed?

Thanks Smiling-face

I also see a call to developers. If need be, I'm happy to release my own version with these fixes, but wouldn't know where to start.
I'm proficient in Java/JavaScript/Python/C#, but can pick up whatever if need be.

Embedded subtitles are an absolute nightmare; no change, still problematic
When browsing Shows/Movies etc. the title is not displayed below them so you have to select the item to see what it is; no change, still no labels

I'm happy to release my own version with these fixes, but wouldn't know where to start.; clone the repo to your pc, make changes, compile, test changes https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-androidtv
if the changes work then fork the repo, make changes in your fork then submit a PR to the original

RE: Current state of Android TV - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-10

Embedded subs aren't a nightmare with transcoding   Upside-down-face

RE: Current state of Android TV - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-01-10

(2024-01-10, 12:32 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Embedded subs aren't a nightmare with transcoding   Upside-down-face

Yeah, 99% of my media has embeded subs and if the client can't direct play it, transcoding still plays the subs fine.

However, I have an issue here. I have a Synology NAS & a Truenas system.

On the Synology NAS, transcoding videos causes the subs to be misstimed early a bit. On my Truenas server, transcoding actually places the subs with correct timing. I haven't been able to figure out why this is. Direct play on clients like MPV Shim or Jellyfin Media Player work fine with sub timing (as expected). Both servers are set up with HWA.

I don't remember if this issue also happens on the Synology NAS with CPU transcoding.

How are you running Jellyfin on your Synology NAS? A docker container with the official image? Or from their "app store"?

RE: Current state of Android TV - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-01-10

I'm using the official image in a Docker container. This issue persists with both VAAPI & Quick Sync HWA options.

It's not really a priority for me to figure this out since I almost never watch my content on something that can't direct play the media. That and I don't use the Synology NAS anymore and have it as a backup server.

(2024-01-10, 07:08 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: That and I don't use the Synology NAS anymore and have it as a backup server.

I wish more people did this.  NAS appliances are almost always underpowered and the restrictive OS is problematic for some features.  I.e.: No tone mapping on Synology NASes when running Jellyfin 10.8.13.  There was an Intel driver updates that dropped support for Linux kernel 4.4.X, which is the kernel in Synology's latest version of DSM on most models.