Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: JF Suddenly Stopped Working (noob) - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Networking & Access (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-networking-access)
+---- Thread: SOLVED: JF Suddenly Stopped Working (noob) (/t-solved-jf-suddenly-stopped-working-noob)

Pages: 1 2

JF Suddenly Stopped Working (noob) - ronnymcdonald - 2024-01-11

Hey all, on 1/5/2024 I decided to use an old Acer laptop as a media server (I have zero experience in this). I hooked the PC straight to my Ubiquiti router (which I fixed the IP address to; and it is using Google Fiber) via ethernet and installed Ubuntu Server on the PC. I followed this guide mostly to install Jellyfin and Samba. 

The server and Jellyfin were running perfectly fine until today when Jellyfin just randomly stopped working on all my devices (Chromecast, PC, and mobile phone). The Jellyfin log in page UI was showing on my browser, but it would give me an error when I tried to log in (something about being unable to access the server). I thought that maybe restarting the server or even restarting Jellyfin could work, so I SSH'ed a restart through my PC, but now the Jellyfin UI doesn't even show up when I try to access the server in Chrome (through http://192.xxx.x.xxx:8096/), and Chrome just shows that the site can't be reached.

The server is still showing as connected through my Ubiquiti router, FYI. Also, I do know that I'm a little low on disk space (I plan on adding external hard drives soon), if that affects anything. Any help would be very appreciated, as I'm pretty new to all this Smiling-face

Also, I'd include logs but I'm not 100% sure of the command to access the logs through SSH. 

RE: JF Suddenly Stopped Working (noob) - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-11

Your logs are in /var/log/jellyfin/. Give us the latest jellyfin log.

"jellyfin20240110.log" probably.

Post it to pastebin and link back here.

RE: JF Suddenly Stopped Working (noob) - ronnymcdonald - 2024-01-11

(2024-01-11, 04:24 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Your logs are in /var/log/jellyfin/.  Give us the latest jellyfin log.

"jellyfin20240110.log" probably.

Post it to pastebin and link back here.

Thanks DreadPirate. Here's the Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/7eMtkHEm

Note that I believe the server stopped working in the afternoon during or after a movie was playing (I wasn't watching it), and I tried to connect multiple times later that day.

RE: JF Suddenly Stopped Working (noob) - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-11

here are good questions
is the drive full?
did the drive get an error and get remounted read only? (errors=remount-ro)
no mention of it but is the drive formatted in a non-linux fs? (NTFS,ExFat)

RE: JF Suddenly Stopped Working (noob) - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-11

(2024-01-11, 10:42 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote: here are good questions
is the drive full?

I 2nd this.

The problem started shortly after a transcode.  The log file suddenly ending.  100% sounds like the OS volume filled up.

RE: JF Suddenly Stopped Working (noob) - ronnymcdonald - 2024-01-12

(2024-01-11, 11:42 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote:
(2024-01-11, 10:42 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote: here are good questions
is the drive full?

I 2nd this.

The problem started shortly after a transcode.  The log file suddenly ending.  100% sounds like the OS volume filled up.

Thanks all. The disk on my PC/server is about 90% full, but I didn't think about the ramifications of that on playing media or connecting to the server. 

I'll try removing some media and report back in a couple days. With regards to the other two questions, I'm not sure how to answer.

RE: JF Suddenly Stopped Working (noob) - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-12

90% of what? Also, it's 90% now, but what about when you were mid-transcode?

RE: JF Suddenly Stopped Working (noob) - ronnymcdonald - 2024-01-17

(2024-01-12, 03:32 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: 90% of what?  Also, it's 90% now, but what about when you were mid-transcode?

I just now removed some media off of my laptop/server and Jellyfin is unfortunately not working still (blank page in my web browser). I rebooted my server and even restarted Jellyfin on the server and it still isn't working unfortunately. Here is the log from just now. 

And when I check the status of Jellyfin, the following shows:

Code:
× jellyfin.service - Jellyfin Media Server
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/jellyfin.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/jellyfin.service.d
            └─jellyfin.service.conf
    Active: failed (Result: core-dump) since Wed 2024-01-17 01:37:02 UTC; 27min ago
    Process: 1062 ExecStart=/usr/bin/jellyfin $JELLYFIN_WEB_OPT $JELLYFIN_RESTART_OPT $JELLYFIN_FFMPEG_OPT $JELLYFIN_SERVICE_OPT $JELLYFIN_NOWEBAPP_OPT $JELLYFIN_ADDI>
  Main PID: 1062 (code=dumped, signal=ABRT)
        CPU: 331ms

Jan 17 01:37:02 acer systemd[1]: jellyfin.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Jan 17 01:37:02 acer systemd[1]: Stopped Jellyfin Media Server.
Jan 17 01:37:02 acer systemd[1]: jellyfin.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jan 17 01:37:02 acer systemd[1]: jellyfin.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.
Jan 17 01:37:02 acer systemd[1]: Failed to start Jellyfin Media Server.

Should I just re-install at this point? Thanks Smiling-face

RE: JF Suddenly Stopped Working (noob) - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-17

100% certain your disk filled up. The log indicates that some of the Jellyfin configs are empty or corrupt. Probably the database too.

Go ahead and reinstall. It isn't recoverable.

RE: JF Suddenly Stopped Working (noob) - ronnymcdonald - 2024-01-20

(2024-01-17, 02:13 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: 100% certain your disk filled up.  The log indicates that some of the Jellyfin configs are empty or corrupt.  Probably the database too.

Go ahead and reinstall.  It isn't recoverable.

Thanks Dread. Do you know which directories need to be deleted for a full reinstall?