Jellyfin Forum
Continue watching not working at all - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Continue watching not working at all (/t-continue-watching-not-working-at-all)

Pages: 1 2 3

Continue watching not working at all - Tombar - 2024-01-14

Hi all,

I am using the latest version 10.8.13 and I have issues with the "continue watching" feature. It is not working at all.

What I tried:
  • watching a TV show/movie until 50% and then returning to the main menu. I would now expect that if I restart the same movie/episode that I would continue watching from where I left.
  • I tested it with different media files. None worked
  • The section of continue watching does not appear on my homepage
  • I tested it via watching within the browser and via the Tizen app on a Samsung TV

Settings I checked:
  • The percentage settings for min/max are set to the standard values of 5% and 90%
  • For the homepage of the user the "continue watching" feature is enabled and assigned to area "2"

Any idea? Am I missing something?

Cheers

RE: Continue watching not working at all - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-14

Can you share your jellyfin logs with us via sourcebin? The log contains messages about the playback tracker that we can use to investigate.

RE: Continue watching not working at all - fromage9747 - 2024-05-29

Since upgrading to 10.9.x, my watch history and continue watching for movies ONLY is broken.  I don't understand why it keeps track of my series and forgets my movies. Prior to 10.9.x it worked without issue. There was a 10.9.3 update that occurred yesterday that appears to have kept track of my resume status, but at some point during the night it gets removed from continue watching. What can I look for in order to fix this? It is my biggest headache at the moment as then I have to use search which is also horrendously slow since the 10.9.x upgrade which then creates another headache.  If the movie can at least be kept track of and stay in my continue watching, then I don't need to touch search.

Please point me in the right direction to find the issue.  The only thing I can find that looks like it might be relevant is:

Code:
[ERR] [66] MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Savers.MovieNfoSaver: Error reading existing nfo
System.Xml.XmlException: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 255, position 1.
  at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
  at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)
  at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseRootLevelWhitespace()
  at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
  at MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Savers.BaseNfoSaver.AddCustomTags(String path, IReadOnlyCollection`1 xmlTagsUsed, XmlWriter writer, ILogger`1 logger)
  at MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Savers.BaseNfoSaver.Save(BaseItem item, Stream stream, String xmlPath)

RE: Continue watching not working at all - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-29

Sounds like your NFOs are missing elements or something. Are you using an external app to generate NFOs? Or Jellyfin?

RE: Continue watching not working at all - fromage9747 - 2024-06-05

I have been using the same configuration as I have been for a couple of years now and haven't had any issues prior to updating to 10.9.x. I have Sonarr and Radarr dealing with nfo's. My series do not get removed from my continue watching.

Since upgrading to 10.9.4, the resume status is kept, so I can search through the HORRENDOUSLY slow search (since 10.9.x), find the movie and click play, it will pick up where I left off BUT, DAILY, any movies that I had started are removed from Continue Watching, series are unaffected. 10.9.0, 10.9.1, 10.9.2 and 10.9.3 would completely forget the resume status and I would have to skip through the movie from the start in order to get back to where I was. Series resume and continue watching status have not been affected at all in any of the 10.9.x versions.

RE: Continue watching not working at all - fromage9747 - 2024-06-06

Updated to 10.9.5. Resume status got lost and of course removed from continue watching. Search is faster, better than it was since updating to 10.9.x so it was quicker to locate the movie again. Now, when I skip through the film to get back to where I was, the film does not get added to continue watching at all.... Series still remain unaffected...

RE: Continue watching not working at all - TheDreadPirate - 2024-06-06

(2024-06-06, 03:56 AM)fromage9747 Wrote: Updated to 10.9.5.  Resume status got lost and of course removed from continue watching. Search is faster, better than it was since updating to 10.9.x so it was quicker to locate the movie again.  Now, when I skip through the film to get back to where I was, the film does not get added to continue watching at all.... Series still remain unaffected...

I was able to reproduce this issue, and I noticed database "read only" messages in my log. And it affected both movies and shows.  I restarted Jellyfin and the issue went away for now.  I will keep an eye on this.

This is a known issue. After adding new content and scanning this condition will occur.

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/11980

RE: Continue watching not working at all - fromage9747 - 2024-06-06

Restarting the Jellyfin instance got the Continue Watching for movies to work again. I also noticed that the resume status got lost when I restarted, so I restarted again, and it appears that the Continue watching and resume status has been retained after another restart.

I will continue to monitor, but I had hoped that I had found the source of the issue for causing the resume status to be lost daily.

If the problem persists, I will be back here tomorrow to report it!

Setting max library scan threads to 1 appears to be a temporary workaround until 10.9.6 is released. After making that change I haven't been able to trigger the bug.