Jellyfin Forum
High CPU usage - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: High CPU usage (/t-high-cpu-usage)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

High CPU usage - tsgillx - 2024-01-16

Hi,

I have installed JellyFin on TrueNAS Scale. Library and plugins are set up and works as expected. I am switching from Plex to JellyFin but I am not sure why but Jellyfin is very slow.

It runs fine when I restart JellyFin but after a while it is very unresponsive. I do not see any plugins/schedules running. Even when I stop streaming a video file the cpu usage of true nas scale goes to almost 100%. I checked the process in truenass ffmpeg is using the cpu even if there is no activity. 

JellyFin has 2 Cores (4 threads) assigned. Once i stop jellyfin cpu usage goes down to 1%. Running the latest version of Jellyfin 10.8.13_1.2.610.8.10.8.13_1.2.613_1.2.6

I searched the net and could not find a solution. Not sure what is causing this. Transcode is not enabled because I cannot assign a GPU to it.

RE: High CPU usage - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-16

disable extract *anything from video files; thumbs, subs, etc.
allocate more memory to jellyfin; 4gb is probably not enough, try 6,8,12
provide a server log to a public pastebin site; otherwise not sure what is going on in your setup

RE: High CPU usage - tsgillx - 2024-01-16

Thank you for your reply.

I tried just simple files, no sub no thumbs. Even when i stop the stream ffmpeg still using the cpu. I have assigned 8 GB and not even half of it is used.

If you do not mind how do I get the server log? TrueNAS or JellyFin?

RE: High CPU usage - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-16

(2024-01-16, 05:47 PM)tsgillx Wrote: If you do not mind how do I get the server log? TrueNAS or JellyFin?

dashboard -> logs for logs

only jellyfin logs please, if this requires truenas logs then it would be a truenas issue for the truenas forums

RE: High CPU usage - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-16

We would need your jellyfin logs. Also, what plugins do you have installed? Did you enable chapter image extraction in your library settings?

I have chapter image extraction enabled during library scan but it seems not to be working. If i check the scheduler none of the plugins are running.

I will try to recreate the problem and post the logs.

Plugins:
Fanart.TV
Intro Skipper
Jellyscrub
Merge Version
Open Subtitels
Playback Reporting
Reports
TVmaze
TheTVDB
Trakt

If ffmpeg is the one using your CPU it is either the chapter image extraction still running, Intro Skipper, or Jellyscrub. Since you said that the plugins aren't running, that narrows it to chapter image extraction. Depending on how big your library is, that is going to take quite a while with the limited compute power of your NAS.

I have setup chpater extraction during library scan plus its not working at all.

Anyway I think I found the issue. I would like to use hardware transcoding but I cannot passthrough nvidia gpu to my trueNAS Scale. I have TrueNAS Scale running as a VM in Hyper-V and I cannot find a way to use the GPU. So found a setting under users. If disable transcoding for audio and video under the user account it works.

However if I uncheck the following options the CPU usage i much reasonable but still little higher the PLEX.
UNCHECKED: Allow audio playback that requires transcoding
UNCHECKED: Allow video playback that requires transcoding

Now I cannot forward or select in the timeline the video. If select the middle of the video it jumps randomly somewhere else. Cannot figure out the pattern. Really odd. No issue with PLEX. Rather use JellyFin.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/1312325/how-to-add-video-card-in-hyper-v-virtual-machine

Check this post out for GPU passthrough in hyper-v. Sounds like you are out of luck for NVENC with your setup. Is redoing your setup a possibility?

Thank you will check it out. Redoing is possible.

Are you suggesting something else then Hyper-V?