Jellyfin Forum
Playback stopping randomly (Local & Remote) - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Playback stopping randomly (Local & Remote) (/t-playback-stopping-randomly-local-remote)

Pages: 1 2

Playback stopping randomly (Local & Remote) - Bummerten - 2024-01-16

Half a year ago, i upgraded to a new jellyfin setup running on an older HP Elitedesk setup. Everything has been working flawlessly, and i love the system, but i have been encountering some random hickups - that im unable to identify.

Let me try to sum it up:

The problem started with very HQ remux files, that had issues with buffering. I could watch 1.5 hours of a movie, and then it would start buffering every 30 seconds. Looking at my setup, i see no unusual activities, no overheating or any hard load on any specific components - huh.
CPU is running at 30% and the Media HDD is maxed out reading and sending the file. It looked like the bandwidth could be too much for my wifi, so i went that direction for troubleshooting. First i tried too test a stream on my internal SSD and not from my media HDD, so rule that out. Same issue happened here (M2 SSD vs Sata HDD)
So i cashed out for a new Wifi 6 router.

This helped alot on the stability of our connection, but not the above issue. It started again at random times. The connection was still too poor. I ended up upgraded to a wired setup to my TV, and now have double the connection: 200-300 mbps.
Still the playback would stop once in a while on high quality streams.

A few weeks passes, i reinstall everything, try to debug - but found absolute nothing wrong. Tested with Emby, Plex and more, but didnt seem to have any issues. This must be some kind of software bug, but im just puzzled.
Fast forward to today, and it struggles to play even a regular 4-8gb 1080p with low bitrate. It will stop at least once every fifteen minutes, and often it starts in the first five minutes of a movie. To get it running again, i just need to rewind a few seconds and press play -> it will not start again by itself, like it would if it was buffering. The logs show nothing informative, and when it notices at all, it only tells me that the Client stopped playback. It happens on both AndroidTV and the official/sideloaded WebOS app, both remotely and on LAN.

Note: Everything plays as direct play, nothing is transcoding.

Specs:
Intel 7500T CPU
32 GB Ram
1 TB m.2 SSD as system drive
3 TB sata HDD for media
Network - Wired (200-300 mbps)

Running on Win 10 (since its not supported in Win11).

Now that i have ruled out bandwidth, somewhat completely, what could be the cause?
The CPU has been and should be more than enough for several simultaneous 4K streams, so i'm thinking software? Either missing drivers, some configurations missings, anything really.

RE: Playback stopping randomly (Local & Remote) - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-16

Can you share your jellyfin logs with us via https://sourceb.in/ ?

RE: Playback stopping randomly (Local & Remote) - Bummerten - 2024-01-16

Here is a snippet from my test tonight. You can see that we start The Pact from the D: drive and then midway through, i move it to a test library on the C: drive.

https://sourceb.in/DJsyJrOirT

RE: Playback stopping randomly (Local & Remote) - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-16

note:
video is not always the only cause for this behavior; audio codecs and some subtitles also can have these adverse affects on clients
in rare cases container format as well; however jellyfin should overcome that very easily so less than 1% likely

RE: Playback stopping randomly (Local & Remote) - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-16

Is your server configured to never allow the hard drive and CPU to go to sleep? I am 90% certain this is a Windows problem. Not a Jellyfin problem.

(2024-01-16, 11:12 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote: note:
video is not always the only cause for this behavior; audio codecs and some subtitles also can have these adverse affects on clients
in rare cases container format as well; however jellyfin should overcome that very easily so less than 1% likely

I have noted both the audio and video codec with the various files, and what usually works flawless, would suddenly not work on some weird occasion Smiling-face
Actually have a issue with subtitles, so i started running Subtitle Extract on all my media at night Smiling-face
Doubt it is a audio codec or container issue, but thanks for the note!

(2024-01-16, 11:15 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Is your server configured to never allow the hard drive and CPU to go to sleep?  I am 90% certain this is a Windows problem.  Not a Jellyfin problem.

It is actually running on a power saving mode and it is putting hard drives to sleep after 20 minutes. I will try to disable it, and see it helps, thanks!
Definitely, just wondering what the hell it could be - but you may be on to something Smiling-face

RE: Playback stopping randomly (Local & Remote) - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-16

as far as your ios device, it looks pretty obvious

Profile="Expo iOS Video Profile"

client requests transcode

PlayMethod=Transcode, TranscodeReason=ContainerNotSupported, AudioCodecNotSupported, SubtitleCodecNotSupported

but transcoding is disabled for user Elite

EnablePlaybackRemuxing: False EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: False EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: False

so the client just quits

Playback stopped reported by app "Jellyfin Web" "10.8.13" playing "The Pact". Stopped at "0" ms

the other device exceeds 20 minutes of playback so not sure it's the hard drive sleep

Stopped at "5136606" ms

5136606/1000/60 > 85 minutes

(2024-01-16, 11:36 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote: as far as your ios device, it looks pretty obvious

Profile="Expo iOS Video Profile"

client requests transcode

PlayMethod=Transcode, TranscodeReason=ContainerNotSupported, AudioCodecNotSupported, SubtitleCodecNotSupported

but transcoding is disabled for user Elite

EnablePlaybackRemuxing: False EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: False EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: False

so the client just quits

Playback stopped reported by app "Jellyfin Web" "10.8.13" playing "The Pact". Stopped at "0" ms

the other device exceeds 20 minutes of playback so not sure it's the hard drive sleep

Stopped at "5136606" ms

5136606/1000/60 > 85 minutes

Oh yeah, that is exactly because i'm not allowing transcoding on this user. I have another for remote play, when i'm out.
I was trying to cast it just as a test - i know that it wouldn't work. I then proceeded to move it to the C drive instead.

And yeah, not sure if its the hdd either, but it could be some other power saving feature kicking in. All other suggestions are of cause welcome Smiling-face

Edit:
And remember, that there are about five "stops" that are not noted in the logs for some reason. They rarely are

RE: Playback stopping randomly (Local & Remote) - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-17

well that closer lines up with the 20m; 85/5=17

RE: Playback stopping randomly (Local & Remote) - Bummerten - 2024-01-17

Seems to have solved the issue. At least, we were able to watch a two hour movie without interruptions. Hopefully it wont return too some degree Smiling-face

Appreciate the help, guys.