Jellyfin Forum
mkv nvidia shield pro issue - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: mkv nvidia shield pro issue (/t-mkv-nvidia-shield-pro-issue)

mkv nvidia shield pro issue - spookyfish - 2024-01-19

Sorry if this is not posted in the correct place, I didn't see anywhere else to ask a question. Please move as needed.

I have a Win10 laptop hosting jellyfin (version 10.8.13-1) with files stored on harddrives connected via USB 3.0 ports. I have a new nvidia shield pro running the jellyfin app. When trying to play any .mkv video files, the file will be slow to start, and stutter or freeze multiple times within the first two minutes, then after abotu two mintues or so will freeze for good and no longer play. These same files play just fine on other devices - a laptop and a desktop, using both the jellyfin desktop app or a web browser. Has anybody else run into this issue? Below I have the vide details of two random .mkv files, both confirmed working on the lapdopt and desktop but not the shield:

Random file #1
Video
Title1080p H264 SDR
CodecH264
AVCNo
ProfileHigh
Level40
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.976025
Bitrate3668 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Video rangeSDR
Color spacebt709
Color transferbt709
Color primariesbt709
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
NAL0
Audio
TitleAAC - Stereo - Default
CodecAAC
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate125 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
ForcedNo
ExternalNo

Random file #2
Video
Title1080p HEVC SDR
CodecHEVC
ProfileMain 10
Level150
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.976025
Bitrate3170 kbps
Bit depth10 bit
Video rangeSDR
Pixel formatyuv420p10le
Ref frames1
Audio
TitleAAC - Stereo - Default
CodecAAC
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate128 kbps
Sample rate44100 Hz
DefaultYes
ForcedNo
ExternalNo

RE: mkv nvidia shield pro issue - mikesulsenti - 2024-01-19

My library is 100% MKV files so I will say that MKV being an issue with Jellyfin is not a thing

However, what may possibly happening here is that your laptop Jellyfin server is utilizing CPU for something before sending the video to your client

When you perform playback of one of these MKV files, can you check in both the dashboard and the logs to see if it is transcoding or remuxing these files?

Otherwise, it could be something Nvidia Shield related but I doubt it since it seems to be a very capable media device. But I don't have one to provide experience or tests with.

RE: mkv nvidia shield pro issue - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-19

agree shield shouldn't have any issue with those video codecs or resolutions, or mkv or aac
is that the complete mediainfo from the files? (no subs/other tracks omitted?)

RE: mkv nvidia shield pro issue - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-19

90% certain the MKV file was not properly authored. Usually bad packet timestamps. You can use ffmpeg to regenerating the packet timestamps without having to reencode.

This is how you would do it in Linux. You can probably do something similar with the Windows command prompt.

Code:
/usr/lib/jellyfin-ffmpeg/ffmpeg -fflags genpts -i "/path/to/your/video.mkv" -map 0:v -map 0:a -map 0:s -map_chapters 0 -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s copy outputFile.mkv