Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Jellyfin Media Player Crashes - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Jellyfin Media Player Crashes (/t-solved-jellyfin-media-player-crashes)

Jellyfin Media Player Crashes - polol - 2024-01-20

Up til recently my Jellyfin Media Player on Windows has been working flawlessly

Few days ago - it started crashing the moment I try to play any movies/shows, even old ones that it used to play fine.

Things I've tested/tried:

- Playback on other devices are fine
- Webplayer on the same device works
- Complete uninstall and reinstalled Media player client with latest releases and past releases - still experiencing crashes
- Created a test server instance on the same device and connected Media player client to it, still experiencing crashes

Doesn't seem like its server side or network connection issues. Might be a compatibility/drivers thing with the client maybe? Though I haven't tweaked anything in that regard.

Could always start getting used to using Webplayer, but somehow prefer the UX with the Jellyfin Media Player client.

RE: Jellyfin Media Player Crashes - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-20

I don't recall if uninstalling also clears the APPDATA folder for JMP.

C:\Users\yourUSER\appdata\local\JellyfinMediaPlayer

Something like that. Uninstall, delete that folder, reinstall.

RE: Jellyfin Media Player Crashes - polol - 2024-01-20

Can confirm that the uninstaller does not remove the APPDATA folder.

Have tried that and it still doesn't work unfortunately. Even went as far as to use something like Revo Uninstaller for a more thorough wipe of it and still no dice.

Not sure how relevant this might be but after every reinstall of the JMP Client, the Select Server screen returns "No servers have been found using the automatic server discovery." For both my actual server and/or the test server on localhost. Am able to manually connect afterwards but playback still crashes.

Can't remember if I had to do it manually during the previous working setup back then but it feels kinda odd.

RE: Jellyfin Media Player Crashes - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-20

I don't have access to my desktop at the moment. Click on your icon in the top right and click on Client Settings. I recall there are some settings for how it renders video. Try fiddling with those.

What are the specs of your desktop client?

RE: Jellyfin Media Player Crashes - polol - 2024-01-20

Think I might have played around with it a little during my initial troubleshooting but will give it a more thorough go.

Desktop client specs are:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 3070Ti, 32GB DDR4 Ram

RE: Jellyfin Media Player Crashes - Detention9-Unlit3 - 2024-01-21

Do you by chance use any audio routing software (Wavelink, VoiceMeeter, etc)? Or have the audio output of JellyFin set to something other than default (maybe to speakers or a headset or something)?

I was having the exact same issue suddenly in the last week or so (last big Windows update I installed was 11 Jan, maybe around then).

Digging into the Event Viewer logs, Jellyfin was crashing due to an access violation for C:\WINDOWS\System32\msvcrt.dll. It appears to be fighting some other app or service for memory access.

I launched Jellyfin through WinDbg and stepped through and the access violation started occurring immediately after Jellyfin loads C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUDIOSES.DLL.

I tried Googling around for a while and found plenty of other people have issues relating to msvcrt access violations, but couldn't really find any solutions. Given that it starts happening after loading AUDIOSES.DLL I thought there might be some kind of audio problem. I use Wavelink and have Jellyfin routed to one of the virtual channels. Tried Dism and and a SFC scan, updating audio and video drivers, rolling back the most recent Windows update, etc. Tried closing essentially every other app, killing all tasks. Nothing seemed to work.

Eventually ended up in App volume and device preferences (in Sound Settings) and clicked the 'Reset' button under 'Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults'. Jellyfin Player worked the 1st try after. Out of curiosity I set the Output back to a Wavelink channel, rebooted, and it still works. Not sure if it was just a coincidence and it was something else I previously tried that fixed it or if that actually did it, but worth a shot. 

Might want to dig into your Event Viewer / Jellyfin logs to see if you can get a little more insight. Your problem might be something different entirely.

RE: Jellyfin Media Player Crashes - polol - 2024-01-21

I did previously have Jellyfin output set directly to my Speakers.

Tried Resetting my App volume and device preferences, rebooted and just like that it started working perfectly again.

Not at all sure what the root cause was but man I am relieved it works. Never would've thought to try that without your input. Thanks a bunch.

Even tried changing my Output back to Speakers out of morbid curiosity but it didn't cause any more problems again either(thankfully!)