Jellyfin Forum
Server for Hardware Transcoding - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-off-topic)
+--- Forum: Self-hosting & Homelabs (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-self-hosting-homelabs)
+--- Thread: Server for Hardware Transcoding (/t-server-for-hardware-transcoding)

Server for Hardware Transcoding - kutosan - 2023-07-19

I have been a Kodi user for many years, but I am not up to date with the new technologies. I usually had a NAS that had my media and then installed Kodi clients (previously on fire tv 4k or nvidia shield tubes) on each tv. Recently with the cheaper android TVs, I just sideloaded Kodi and pointed it to the NAS. I am now noticing that certain mkv media isn't able to keep up and I'm pretty sure it's the low powered TVs that are the problem since a tablet in the same area can run just find.

I am considering revamping my entire setup but am trying to use my existing NAS ( Synology DS418 ).

If I were to get a small low power machine such as an intel NUC, point it to the NAS, and make it a dedicated Jellyfin server, would this be enough to stream and perform hardware transcoding to the android TVs? I would like 2 concurrent 4k streams if possible but 1 would be sufficient if it's significantly cheaper.

I know I probably need to provide more specs but even if someone has an article to help me understand how to properly size the environment that would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Server for Hardware Transcoding - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-19

Most newish Intel CPUs should be able to transcode two 4K streams. Which Intel CPU generation depends on whether you need AV1 or not. 13th gen+ for AV1. 11th and 12th gen if you only need HEVC.

RE: Server for Hardware Transcoding - traptegies - 2023-07-25

(2023-07-19, 09:27 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Most newish Intel CPUs should be able to transcode two 4K streams.  Which Intel CPU generation depends on whether you need AV1 or not.  13th gen+ for AV1.  11th and 12th gen if you only need HEVC.

Looks like 10th gen is also sufficient for HEVC: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057555/graphics.html

RE: Server for Hardware Transcoding - Shadowghost - 2023-07-25

If you just want HEVC and HDR tonemapping, any Intel CPU/iGPU combo sice 7th gen is sufficient. More recent gens are more efficient though and might produce better output.
E.g. my J4105 handles one 4k HDR -> 1080p SDR trancode with tonemapping just fine (it might struggle with high bitrates though, I'd advise for something more recent).

RE: Server for Hardware Transcoding - jamhandman - 2023-08-26

(2023-07-19, 09:12 PM)kutosan Wrote: I have been a Kodi user for many years, but I am not up to date with the new technologies. I usually had a NAS that had my media and then installed Kodi clients (previously on fire tv 4k or nvidia shield tubes) on each tv. Recently with the cheaper android TVs, I just sideloaded Kodi and pointed it to the NAS. I am now noticing that certain mkv media isn't able to keep up and I'm pretty sure it's the low powered TVs that are the problem since a tablet in the same area can run just find.

I am considering revamping my entire setup but am trying to use my existing NAS ( Synology DS418 ).

If I were to get a small low power machine such as an intel NUC, point it to the NAS, and make it a dedicated Jellyfin server, would this be enough to stream and perform hardware transcoding to the android TVs? I would like 2 concurrent 4k streams if possible but 1 would be sufficient if it's significantly cheaper.

I know I probably need to provide more specs but even if someone has an article to help me understand how to properly size the environment that would be greatly appreciated.

Have you considered reencoding your content to get direct play working?
I run jellyfin of my NAS and direct play makes this possible.
Audio transcoding is fine, but van also be avoided if needed...
Video transcoding is the worst...