Jellyfin Forum
Insisting on treating some TV shows as movies - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Media Scanning & Identification (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-media-scanning-identification)
+---- Thread: Insisting on treating some TV shows as movies (/t-insisting-on-treating-some-tv-shows-as-movies)

Insisting on treating some TV shows as movies - ProsjektX - 2024-01-23

I'm really lost about this. New to JF, but quickly running into issues with TV shows. From what it looks like some TV shows are treated like movies, resulting in no metadata for them. And since they are treated as movies, I cannot identify the series either as a TV show manually.

I've tried both with and without extra tags in the folder names with e.g. TVDBID and so on, but it makes no difference. Have deleted and recreated the library several times, no difference. How to fix this..? The library is configured as tv-series/movies

Some examples

/tv-series/Come Fly With Me/Come Fly With Me s01e01.mkv
/tv-series/Come Fly With Me/Come Fly With Me s01e02.mkv
/tv-series/Come Fly With Me (2010)/Come Fly With Me s01e01.mkv
/tv-series/Come Fly With Me (2010) [tvdbid-212571]/Come Fly With Me s01e01.mkv

RE: Insisting on treating some TV shows as movies - Serge K - 2024-01-23

the library must be configured or as Show or as Movie

RE: Insisting on treating some TV shows as movies - ProsjektX - 2024-01-23

(2024-01-23, 03:11 PM)Serge K Wrote: the library must be configured or as Show or as Movie

Well, the only option when creating a library is "Mixed movies and shows", which I have selected, and all the shows are in a separate folder. Are you saying there's another option..?

RE: Insisting on treating some TV shows as movies - Serge K - 2024-01-23

I never used this Mixed variant only use Movies or Shows separately

RE: Insisting on treating some TV shows as movies - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-23

(2024-01-23, 03:18 PM)ProsjektX Wrote:
(2024-01-23, 03:11 PM)Serge K Wrote: the library must be configured or as Show or as Movie

Well, the only option when creating a library is "Mixed movies and shows", which I have selected, and all the shows are in a separate folder. Are you saying there's another option..?

when adding a library, under content type, it should be listing more than just mixed, movies, music, shows, books, photos should all be listed

are you saying that those options do not exist?
or are you saying that the only option that is appropriate for your content is mixed?

RE: Insisting on treating some TV shows as movies - ProsjektX - 2024-01-23

Dohh.. I got a suspicion, and well, it turns out the translation in the library type selection is very confusing/incorrect in my native language which I used... Switched to English and there it was! Didn't think there was a dedicated shows type.

RE: Insisting on treating some TV shows as movies - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-23

there you go then

just to leave a note, unless absolutely needed the mixed library type should be avoided

and for home videos (or random videos) that do not need scraping use the Photos type, not that it is pertinent to the topic at hand but i threw it in any way

RE: Insisting on treating some TV shows as movies - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-01-23

Jellyfin will base its metadata search on the type of library you created for it. If you create a show only library, it will only search for show metadata. Likewise for movies.

I believe most of the metadata providers built into Jellyfin split movies and shows, and so they have a different link to access metadata for both type. This is the reason why the correct ID number won't work when you enter it on the metadata. There's no option to select which database type to pull from since Jellyfin handles that in the background (would be nice to be able to override though).

There're some metadata plugins that don't care on the library type (like the aniDB & AniList plugins for anime since they both mix shows and movies in their databases and are accessible with the same link type).

There's always the option for you to manually edit in the metadata that you want something to have. Just make sure to lock the metadata so that Jellyfin doesn't bother pulling in the wrong metadata later on, or removing your custom edits.