Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Lost all indication of my media via the UI - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Lost all indication of my media via the UI (/t-solved-lost-all-indication-of-my-media-via-the-ui)

Lost all indication of my media via the UI - cashewtree - 2024-01-24

Everything was running fine for weeks on my MacOS install. The only changes I made recently were trying to export the media disk via NFS (I since commented that out).  Most recently I was adding some show episodes.  After some transcoding and moving stuff around I look at the Web UI screen and nothing is showing up now.  No videos, no music, nothing.  The files are still there.

The version of Jellyfin you are running (e.g. 10.8.10)
Jellyfin
========
Version: 10.8.13
Operating System: Darwin
Architecture: X64

Your installation method and platform (e.g. Linux Docker, Debian repository, Windows installer, etc.)
Native dmg install.

ProductName:    macOS
ProductVersion: 14.2.1
BuildVersion:  23C71

A brief description of the issue as your thread subject, using the description for additional important context only if required
Ran fine for a few weeks, adding Music, movies, and Youtube videos

A full explanation of what is happening, versus what you expect to happen
After adding set of videos from a series of TV shows and one movie, I lost everything. I see no content at all.

I am expecting scans to show some media.  I am willing to wipe any caches or other metadata and try to regenerate content.

What client(s) you are using and how the issue manifests.
Using web UI.  No content shows up no matter how often I rescan. Removing and re-adding media directories has no effect.

Any other context you might think is relevant.
I tried removing all content folders and re-adding and res-scanning. This has no effect.
Sever runs as user "jellyfin"
Logs are in /Users/jellyfin/.local/share/jellyfin/log
I'm not sure how to enable debug level logging.  The web UI seems to not have that option under Server > Advanced > Logs

Here is tail of the log.
System.ArgumentException: Not enough valid pictures provided to create a splashscreen!
  at Jellyfin.Drawing.Skia.SplashscreenBuilder.GenerateCollage(IReadOnlyList1 posters, IReadOnlyList1 backdrops)
  at Jellyfin.Drawing.Skia.SplashscreenBuilder.GenerateSplash(IReadOnlyList1 posters, IReadOnlyList1 backdrops, String outputPath)
  at Jellyfin.Drawing.Skia.SkiaEncoder.CreateSplashscreen(IReadOnlyList1 posters, IReadOnlyList1 backdrops)
  at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.SplashscreenPostScanTask.Run(IProgress1 progress, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
  at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.RunPostScanTasks(IProgress
1 progress, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
[2024-01-23 23:38:57.226 -05:00] [INF] [95] Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.TaskManager: "Scan Media Library" Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
[2024-01-23 23:38:57.227 -05:00] [INF] [95] Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
[2024-01-23 23:38:57.294 -05:00] [INF] [93] Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.LibraryMonitor: Watching directory "/Volumes/EXTHDD/Music Videos"
[2024-01-23 23:38:57.294 -05:00] [INF] [92] Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.LibraryMonitor: Watching directory "/Volumes/EXTHDD/Photos"

I have one photo (recently added for testing).
ghidorah:~ allan$ ls -l /Volumes/EXTHDD/Photos
total 8864
-rwxr-xr-x  1 allan  staff  4537516 Jan 23 22:51 IMG_20240106_110643585_HDR.jpg
ghidorah:~ allan$ sudo su - jellyfin
Password:
jellyfin@ghidorah ~ % ls -l /Volumes/EXTHDD/Photos
total 8864
-rwxr-xr-x  1 jellyfin  staff  4537516 Jan 23 22:51 IMG_20240106_110643585_HDR.jpg
jellyfin@ghidorah ~ % ls -l /Volumes/EXTHDD/Music\ Videos
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 jellyfin  staff  96 Dec 31 17:15 Amore Eterno
drwxr-xr-x  4 jellyfin  staff  128 Dec 31 23:24 Avantgardey
drwxr-xr-x  3 jellyfin  staff  96 Jan 13 11:24 Blue Oyster Cult
drwxr-xr-x  3 jellyfin  staff  96 Jan  1 21:43 Fatboy Slim
drwxr-xr-x  3 jellyfin  staff  96 Dec 31 12:34 Orkestra Obsolete
drwxr-xr-x  3 jellyfin  staff  96 Dec 30 14:50 Portugal. The Man
drwxr-xr-x  7 jellyfin  staff  224 Jan  5 17:59 Postmodern Jukebox
drwxr-xr-x  6 jellyfin  staff  192 Jan 17 22:34 Robert Palmer
drwxr-xr-x  4 jellyfin  staff  128 Dec 30 12:05 Robyn Adele Anderson
drwxr-xr-x  3 jellyfin  staff  96 Jan 17 22:19 Todd Rundgren

RE: Lost all indication of my media via the UI - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-24

jellyfin keeps 3 days of logs. Can you zip them up and attach them to a post? You have to click "preview post" or "new reply" to get the full reply dashboard with the option to attach files.

RE: Lost all indication of my media via the UI - cashewtree - 2024-01-24

done, logs are attached

RE: Lost all indication of my media via the UI - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-24

I see the logs where it removed everything, but I still see log entries that it is watching the directories. Whatever you did with exporting the drive or whatever changed permissions on it so that Jellyfin no longer had access to it.

Double check permissions, double check that the path is EXACTLY the same, try re-creating the library.

RE: Lost all indication of my media via the UI - cashewtree - 2024-01-24

Yes, I see, it is related to permissions, as media shows up when created on the main OS partition.

I disabled NFS, revoked the access permissions I needed to give nfsd and restarted.  I doubled checked the paths (I copy paste such things as a matter of habit wherever possible).

MacOS doesn't make inspecting extended permissions easy.  I can confirm that the jellyfin account has access when I sudo su - to it.  Still, I suspect I may have inadvertantly removed access when adding the nfs Daemon to the ACL.

Yes, I confirm that is what happened.  THANK YOU

It's not obvious from an ls listing though.

I did not want to believe it was that, but your reminder forced me to retrace my steps. This is as bad as SELinux enforcement.