Jellyfin Forum
HELP!!! Troubleshooting - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: HELP!!! Troubleshooting (/t-help-troubleshooting)

Pages: 1 2

HELP!!! Troubleshooting - 9ja9ite - 2024-01-26

Hey Fam -
I'm a newbie to having or setting up a NAS and all related apps for it. I'm having some serious frustration with Jellyfin and just setting up a NAS in general. It's been way more headache and troubleshooting than I was hoping for. I'm not a very "techie" kind of guy but I'm fairly capable and have been able to research and yourtube video my way through most technical computer stuff I've tried. Figuring this out though has been though. I can not find any posts in forums that are helpful or work for my issues.

Right now I am having 2 main issues with Jellyfin I can not find answers for.

1 - Duplicates. I have tons of duplicates in my movie folder only. This does not happen in my collections folders. I can not find a way to remove them. Even when I try to individually delete them from Jellyfin the app tells me there's an error and it can't delete them. I've read about the merge versions plugin but these are not different versions. It just keeps duplicating the same movie file over and over. What's weird is it doesn't do it to every movie. Somehow some of my movies got put into snapshot folders on my QNAP filestion. Those don't seem to duplicate but I can't find a good video about sorting the files in QNAP to see if this is the reason.

2 - LAG & LOADING. So the first few days I was loading movies with only about half a dozen or somovies, Jellyfin worked fine. Now I've got maybe 2 dozen films and the loading is intolerably slow and it does not load all the movie images either on the collections folders or the movie posters in those folders. They just leave a blank space with the file name. This only happens on my TVs, not when I'm managing on my computer.

I've been burning up the search bar trying to find posts or youtube videos about how to fix this with zero luck. If anyone knows how to fix or about a post/thread that can help me fix these issue I'd be super appreciative.

QNAP TS-464-8GUS
2 - 20TB Exos drives
TP AX1800 Router
Mokerling 8port 2.5GB unmanaged switch
Roku TV's

RE: HELP!!! Troubleshooting - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-26

1. sounds like you have not setup your library paths properly so it's reading some kind of weird mirrored files on QNAP
1.5 no clue how file management works on QNAP, this isn't the QNAP forum
2. the slow loading is a good example of why installing jellyfin on a NAS is warned about on the hardware selection page; https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/administration/hardware-selection

maybe we can fix 1.; make sure the path you added to jellyfin is the root path to ONLY a movies folder and not the root of an entire drive; it should look like the naming scheme here https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/movies

and since "QNAP" there's this too https://forum.qnap.com

RE: Troubleshooting - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-26

1 - Do you have multiple versions of the same movie? View the media info in the Jellyfin UI and provide examples of these duplicates.

2 - Can you share your jellyfin logs with us?

RE: Troubleshooting - 9ja9ite - 2024-01-26

(2024-01-26, 09:36 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: 1 - Do you have multiple versions of the same movie?  View the media info in the Jellyfin UI and provide examples of these duplicates.

2 - Can you share your jellyfin logs with us?

So this is me feeling sheepish right now. 

I have no clue what you mean by logs or where to get them. I am so new to all this that I'm like a blind man groping in the dark. I have barely any frame of reference. 

As far as versions of the movies go I only have one "version" of any of them. I'm not doing multiple sizes or anything like that. I make one MKV of my movie and drop it into my Qnap's filestation movie folder. The only thing I can think of that might be causing it is the snapshots in the Qnap filestation. I dropped the first 3 or 4 in the main folder and the next day they had disappeared from my main folder. I found them in a snapshot folder. They still loaded on jellyfin so I just kept adding my MKVs the same way thinking they'd end up in a snapshot folder too but they have all stayed in my main folder - but those are the ones that keep duplicating. Those few original movies that went into a snapshot folder don't duplicate.

RE: Troubleshooting - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-26

(2024-01-26, 10:28 PM)9ja9ite Wrote: I have no clue what you mean by logs or where to get them. I am so new to all this that I'm like a blind man groping in the dark. I have barely any frame of reference.

1. open browser
  2. open jellyfin in browser
  3. go to jellyfin dashboard
  4. click logs on the left side navigation

RE: HELP!!! Troubleshooting - 9ja9ite - 2024-01-26

(2024-01-26, 09:35 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote: 1. sounds like you have not setup your library paths properly so it's reading some kind of weird mirrored files on QNAP
1.5 no clue how file management works on QNAP, this isn't the QNAP forum
2. the slow loading is a good example of why installing jellyfin on a NAS is warned about on the hardware selection page; https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/administration/hardware-selection

maybe we can fix 1.; make sure the path you added to jellyfin is the root path to ONLY a movies folder and not the root of an entire drive; it should look like the naming scheme here https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/movies

and since "QNAP" there's this too https://forum.qnap.com

So I'll double check the pathway when I get home but I'm pretty sure it looks like the one you detailed.

BUT --- First I have to pick my jaw up off the ground about the NOT installing jellyfin on the NAS. I'm kind of in shock and trying to process how to deal with this. I looked at that thread you linked and see the specs. Honestly for me it's all Chinese. I don't know how my QNAP compares to any of that. But what I'm reeling from is that in all the many many videos I watched about getting started with a NAS and which ones to buy and whether to use Jellyfin or Plex I never saw anyone bring this up. I relied heavily on NASCompares on youtube and I NEVER heard him say anything about needing a totally separate computer to run Jellyfin on or that the NAS is underpowered to use Jellyfin. I followed along to multiple videos doing my exact component  
set up with Jellyfin on a Qnap TS-464 and there wasn't a single mention of this.

I'm just sitting here thinking - WTF???

RE: Troubleshooting - 9ja9ite - 2024-01-26

(2024-01-26, 10:40 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote:
(2024-01-26, 10:28 PM)9ja9ite Wrote: I have no clue what you mean by logs or where to get them. I am so new to all this that I'm like a blind man groping in the dark. I have barely any frame of reference.

1. open browser
  2. open jellyfin in browser
  3. go to jellyfin dashboard
  4. click logs on the left side navigation

Gotcha! OK. I'm going to have to do this in a few hours. I'm at work right now. (don't tell my boss I'm chatting in a forum. HAHA.)  Winking-face

I'll post what I find later tonight.

RE: HELP!!! Troubleshooting - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-26

(2024-01-26, 10:41 PM)9ja9ite Wrote: I'm just sitting here thinking - WTF???

let me tell you, you're not alone

picture this

a random user shows up, they've followed a bunch of youtube advice and purchased a device
installed a 3rd party jellyfin onto it; because this actually comes from QNAP not from Jellyfin https://jellyfin.org/downloads/server
the device is recommended to avoid by the people who write the software
the first post is about how running it on the device is slow, which is like "well, yea"
and also talking about QNAP which is not really used by people on that forum

so you try to do your best so they can compare their system to recommended hardware and they're not even sure if their device meets those recommendations because the page you linked is gibberish to them

provide your logs, we can do the best we can but you should adjust expectations a bit in my opinion

RE: HELP!!! Troubleshooting - 9ja9ite - 2024-01-26

(2024-01-26, 10:58 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote:
(2024-01-26, 10:41 PM)9ja9ite Wrote: I'm just sitting here thinking - WTF???

let me tell you, you're not alone

picture this

a random user shows up, they've followed a bunch of youtube advice and purchased a device
installed a 3rd party jellyfin onto it; because this actually comes from QNAP not from Jellyfin https://jellyfin.org/downloads/server
the device is recommended to avoid by the people who write the software
the first post is about how running it on the device is slow, which is like "well, yea"
and also talking about QNAP which is not really used by people on that forum

so you try to do your best so they can compare their system to recommended hardware and they're not even sure if their device meets those recommendations because the page you linked is gibberish to them

provide your logs, we can do the best we can but you should adjust expectations a bit in my opinion

Hey there tmsrxzar - 

First let me just say thank you for trying to help with this. I'll get my logs as soon as possible. Just need to get home.

If I might also very gingerly ask - Did my "sitting here thinking -WTF???" comment come off wrong? It wasn't meant to be directed toward you or Jellyfin. It was more frustration at the youtubers I was relying on who didn't bring this up as a possible consideration. Just so I don't misunderstand your intentions might I ask how your reply was meant? It's obviously describing me and this scenario. Without knowing you or having a frame of reference or context it seemed like a snarky retort to my comment. And please understand I'm NOT saying it was or was how you meant it to be. Only that it seemed like that and I didn't want to take it that way if it wasn't meant to be. 

Hopefully it was just a lost in translation kind of thing  Smiling-face Victory-hand

RE: HELP!!! Troubleshooting - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-27

(2024-01-26, 11:48 PM)9ja9ite Wrote: Hey there tmsrxzar - 

First let me just say thank you for trying to help with this. I'll get my logs as soon as possible. Just need to get home.

no worries, whenever, we're on your schedule if i'm not around there's more helpers ready to jump in

(2024-01-26, 11:48 PM)9ja9ite Wrote: If I might also very gingerly ask - Did my "sitting here thinking -WTF???" comment come off wrong?

not at all

(2024-01-26, 11:48 PM)9ja9ite Wrote: Just so I don't misunderstand your intentions might I ask how your reply was meant?

indicating we are in the same boat, you're not sure "WTF" but it's the same thing on this side of the internet

(2024-01-26, 11:48 PM)9ja9ite Wrote: Hopefully it was just a lost in translation kind of thing

i would like everyone to have a good experience with jellyfin, not because i wrote it, not because i am in any way affiliated (i didn't and i'm not)
because i like the software and i want it to get better
people with a bad experience do not contribute or tell people about it and that's how a project dies

it's a constant fight against people who make bad recommendations which then reflect badly on jellyfin, nobody blames raspberry pi it "must be because of jellyfin"

i am happy to help wherever possible
but i am also a realist, some things just work the way they work no matter how much we may not like the way they work