Jellyfin Forum
direct play quality issues - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: direct play quality issues (/t-direct-play-quality-issues)

Pages: 1 2

direct play quality issues - ijhhdboxywgtumogcq - 2024-01-28

Hi all,

Just a quick question.
I'm trying to switch from plex to jellyfin, but I feel as if the movie playback quality is less than on plex.

Here is a side by side, both are directly playing from the local network.
[Image: FRA0AHn.png]
https://i.imgur.com/FRA0AHn.png

when looking at the sky, you can clearly see the steps in color, it's almost as if the bitrate is not high enough but when looking at the playback info, it looks fine.
in the quality menu, it clearly says "auto - direct", so i'm not sure what i'm missing.

Is there a way to force full quality direct play?

Thanks

RE: direct play quality issues - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-28

direct is direct, up to the client at that point

what device/clients are you using?

RE: direct play quality issues - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-28

Click on the gear and click Playback Info and double check it is actually direct playing.

RE: direct play quality issues - ijhhdboxywgtumogcq - 2024-01-28

running the linuxserver jellyfin docker image (I assume this won't be an issue right?)
Server: 04f859780d09
Version: 10.8.13
client is the jellyfin-media-player v1.9.1 on NixOS

And honestly, whenever I play it in browser with the highest quality and bitrate, it is a lot less noticeable.

and it is

[Image: AOTGpcq.png]

RE: direct play quality issues - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-28

I'm not at home at the moment. Don't have access to JMP until tomorrow afternoon (US EST). Click on your icon in the top right and click on client settings. There are some rendering related settings in there you can fiddle with. If you can't figure it out I will try poke around tomorrow.

RE: direct play quality issues - ijhhdboxywgtumogcq - 2024-01-28

Thanks! Yeah, I looked into it already. Had to turn everything off under the video section to get direct play working. decode.disabled, sync.resample, cache default and aspect normal. transcoding,deinterlace and refreshrate autoswitch turned off.

Edit: alright, it might be host/client specific issue. Just installed the player via brew on an old macbook. looks much better with the same default player settings.
I'll have to look into it more. might be just the packages player for my distro, or i wouldn't be surprised it's some more wayland shenanigans.
Thx for the help

RE: direct play quality issues - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-29

I couldn't find any discernible difference in quality except that decode.copy was stuttery.

Client Settings > HardwareDecoding > decode.enable

Playback settings > Prefer fMP4-HLS enabled (not the one in the dashboard)

Does it still direct play with those settings?

RE: direct play quality issues - ijhhdboxywgtumogcq - 2024-01-30

Still plays directly, but I don't see any quality changes.
It's probably just how my system is set up, not even the settings.
I tested in on a completely different Wayland build under Sway, and the quality is considerably better (but still not super crisp)
I guess I'll just have to live with it.
Thx for your time.

RE: direct play quality issues - tmsrxzar - 2024-01-30

(2024-01-30, 07:40 PM)ijhhdboxywgtumogcq Wrote: I tested in on a completely different Wayland build under Sway, and the quality is considerably better (but still not super crisp)
I guess I'll just have to live with it.
Thx for your time.

(2024-01-28, 07:06 PM)ijhhdboxywgtumogcq Wrote: [Image: AOTGpcq.png]

i'm really not sure how much you can expect out of 9Mbit SDR video

RE: direct play quality issues - TheDreadPirate - 2024-01-30

My understanding is that the same video is rendered differently between Plex's player and Jellyfin's player. With notable banding in gradients on Jellyfin.

I'm wondering if Plex Media Player is doing some sort of post processing and Jellyfin is just displaying the video as is.