Jellyfin Forum
Trouble playing video with dvdsub - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Trouble playing video with dvdsub (/t-trouble-playing-video-with-dvdsub)

Trouble playing video with dvdsub - RonZwanson - 2024-02-02

Hello,

I have a problem playing videos with embedded dvdsub subtitles on androidtv (pgssub subs work fine), i get a message 'Player error encountered, will re-try' and then after about 5s 'too many errors, giving up' and the app return to the movie menu, the same file play on Firefox without issues (image attached), anybody got any idea ?
The video plays without issues when i removed the dvdsub with mlkvtoolnix

AndroidTV 0.16.4
Jellyfin server 10.8.13 on W11

RE: Trouble playing video with dvdsub - TheDreadPirate - 2024-02-02

Is your android TV device a dongle or streaming box? Or built into the TV?

RE: Trouble playing video with dvdsub - RonZwanson - 2024-02-02

it's a xiaomi tv box s

You are transcoding to HEVC. If I am looking at the right specs, it doesn't support HEVC. Try unchecking "Allow encoding in HEVC format" in Dashboard > Playback. Weird that the client is requesting HEVC when it doesn't appear to support it.

It does support hevc, i have no issues playing other hevc content with srt subs ou without subs, I unchecked "Allow encoding in HEVC format" in Dashboard just to check and i still have the same issue.

In the Android TV app. On the home screen go to settings in the top right, Playback, Preferred Player, set that to exoplayer.

Does that make any difference?

I already have it set to exoplayer, with libvlc i have audio/video sync issues and some video show up with the wrong aspect ratio (but no problem with subtitles, i just tried the same file and it worked)

RE: Trouble playing video with dvdsub - RonZwanson - 2024-02-03

I did a bit more troubleshooting and it seems I was wrong, it's not the dvdsub that causes the issue, it's the AAC 7.1 audio track that cause the transcoding to fail somehow, on my phone i was able to play the movie by selecting a secondary audio track (AAC stereo) with the dvdsub enabled, it transcoded without issues.

RE: Trouble playing video with dvdsub - tmsrxzar - 2024-02-03

solution: don't spend the extra effort encoding your blu-ray rips using AAC 7.1 when making backups?

it doesn't make sense to spend time and resources pre-encoding your backup to a format that then causes issues transcoding to your client
just save the initial effort and do a remux from the disc then there should be no issues

RE: Trouble playing video with dvdsub - RonZwanson - 2024-02-03

It's working now by downmixing audio to stereo in the app settings : preferences -> Playback -> Audio output to Downmix to stereo