Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Can't connect to local server - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Can't connect to local server (/t-solved-can-t-connect-to-local-server)

Pages: 1 2

Can't connect to local server - Doug4Music - 2023-07-22

I cannot connect to the Jellyfin server from anywhere on the internal network except from the server host machine. I'm only wanting to connect from within my local internal network at this point.

I'm not a network expert, but I've set up DD-WRT, OpenWrt Lede LuCi, run Smoothwall and pfSense in the past following online documentation and am willing to follow instructions. I've searched the forums and documentation but so far no joy.

I sure would like to get Jellyfin running. I ran Plex and it just worked with no port forwarding rules. But I much prefer open source!

Specifics:
Fresh install of Jellyfin 10.8.10 running on Windows 10 on local network on DD-WRT v3.0-r48393 std (02/18/22) router.

Access from localhost:8096 - OK
Access from 127.0.0.1:8096 - OK

From other PCs on local network: "No servers have been found by the automatic discovery" 
From other PCs on local network specifying 192.168.x.xx:8096 "Connection failure We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again."
But I can ping 192.168.x.xx from PCs on local network.

From iPhone Swiftfin app on local WiFi network: "No local servers found"
From iPhone Swiftfin app on local WiFi network specifying 192.168.x.xx:8096: not successful, (just "Cancel" while searching, then "Connect" after not connecting)

From Roku Jellyfin app on local network: not found
From Roku Jellyfin app on local network specifying 192.168.x.xx:8096: "Error: [-28] Connection timeout after 30008 ms"

So on local network router DD-WRT I added port forwarding rules (not sure if this is correct):

Protocol: Both (TCP, UDP); Source Net: 0.0.0.0; Port from: 8096; IP Address: 192.168.x.xx; Port to: 8096; Enable: Yes

then also
Protocol: Both (TCP, UDP); Source Net: (blank); Port from: 8096; IP Address: 192.168.x.xx; Port to: 8096; Enable: Yes

then
I disabled UPnP in case that conflicts with port forwarding.

Thanks for help getting Jellyfin up and running.

RE: Can't connect to local server - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-23

Make sure the servers network is set to private and that there is a firewall rule in Windows Firewall.

Turning off uPnP won't change anything. That only matters for external connections. Same with the port forwarding rules on your router. Those are only needed with external connections.

RE: Can't connect to local server - Doug4Music - 2023-07-23

Thanks for the help and the information that uPnP and port forwarding on router is only for external connections. So I don't need to mess around at that level for local internet. I'll consider remote connections later.

The network is "Private network" in "Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center/View your basic network information and set up connections/View your active networks"

There are already two rules in "Windows Defender Firewall / Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall": One marked "Private" and one marked "Public".

PCs on local network don't see server.
Swiftfin doesn't see server.
Roku app now does see server, (but oh my, without a folder view music is near impossible to navigate large library.)

RE: Can't connect to local server - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-23

Upload your jellyfin logs to pastebin and post the link here.

RE: Can't connect to local server - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-24

I am assuming that the jellyfin server is also connected to router #2. Might be worth opening a command prompt (run as admin) and running

Code:
TRACERT.EXE <insert jellyfin server IP here>

I think this should tell us whether it is going up to router #1.

Also, I see this.

Code:
[2023-07-22 12:46:49.356 -05:00] [INF] [1] Jellyfin.Networking.Manager.NetworkManager: Using LAN addresses: "[10.0.0.0/8,172.16.0.0/12,192.168.0.0/16]"

And this.

Code:
[2023-07-22 12:47:40.382 -05:00] [WRN] [13] Jellyfin.Server.Middleware.ResponseTimeMiddleware: Slow HTTP Response from "http://172.26.128.1:8096/dlna/f1d0d9a4-7030-4238-8a51-35c9af60701a/description.xml" to "172.26.128.1" in 0:00:01.1490321 with Status Code 200

So you have another private IP address space or something? 10, 192.168, and 172.26?

RE: Can't connect to local server - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-24

Running tracert on the server to the server is always going to be 1 hop.

You should be running TRACERT from a CLIENT PC. So we can see what route the CLIENT request is taking to the server.

RE: Can't connect to local server - Revv23 - 2023-07-24

quite the complex network setup you have there, but leaving that alone for now..

if you are SURE your clients are on the 192.168.2.x network, then this is a windows firewall issue.

especially true if you are able to ping the server from a client.

Try looking here:
1. windows key ->type firewall
2. Select windows defender firewall
3. on the left side click "advanced settins"
4. Inbound Rules - scroll to jellyfin.

You should see 4 rules total for Private/public/tcp/udp. The private rules should be checked green for enabled

RE: Can't connect to local server - Doug4Music - 2023-07-24

I just went upstairs and signed in from wife's PC.
And Roku logs in.
Swiftfin logs in.

Thanks for working through this. I can't determine what specific action allowed access but I'll have to be satisfied that it just works now. I like to know how things get fixed "If you didn't fix it, it isn't fixed.) But now can move on.

I guess now it's time to learn how to configure and operate everything. I'm really having trouble navigating through music - folder view doesn't drill down so folder 'B' shows some 4000 songs, not subfolders, or by artist. But that's another issue entirely. I'll be looking throughout the forum for more help.

Thanks again

RE: Can't connect to local server - Revv23 - 2023-07-24

Hell yeah!

probably want to take down your pub IP from a few posts back..

as for music - it doesnt sort by folders. (actually this applies to all media) It sorts by metadata.

If your music has never been tagged you'll want to use something like musicbrainz picard to go through and name and tag everything. It's very easy though can take some time depending on the size of your selection. But for sure create a copy of your music folder before you mess with it!

RE: Can't connect to local server - Doug4Music - 2023-07-24

Yes, I checked Windows Defender Firewall after your very first response. I messed around there and at first there wasn't improvement, but either it took a reboot or a restart of Jellyfin to get results. Yes there are the 4 rules and both Private rules UDP and TCP are enabled and things are working. I'm not sure why that didn't work out of the box but whatever.

I have the complex network setup because a) I had extra routers cast off by local school and b) I set up an internal network for guests on wifi and an internal/internal network for me and mine. Lots of fun.