Jellyfin Forum
Can I save progress for audio files? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Can I save progress for audio files? (/t-can-i-save-progress-for-audio-files)

Pages: 1 2

Can I save progress for audio files? - islan0 - 2024-02-08

• Jellyfin Version: 10.8.13
  • Unraid Version 6.12.6, Docker container

Progress saves fine for video files, but if I'm listening to an audiobook(.mp3, .flac) on Jellyfin, progress will not save if I play another track or exit the application. I'd like it to save as videos save, is that possible?

RE: Can I save progress for audio files? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-02-08

If you are listening to audiobooks, you need to use the Books library type (which supports audio files). The Books library type tracks progress.

RE: Can I save progress for audio files? - islan0 - 2024-02-08

(2024-02-08, 12:06 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: If you are listening to audiobooks, you need to use the Books library type (which supports audio files).  The Books library type tracks progress.

If I understand, I create a new library with the 'Content type' being 'Books', and audiobooks added in that library will track? If so, I did this but still not saving progress. What I did was: created new library, content type 'Books', added audiobook folder to the library, added audio files to the folder.

For your testing, how far into the audiobook were you listening? I forget where the setting is, but there is a minimum watch/listen time before playback tracking starts. Something like a minute into the content before it starts tracking progress.

And the increment it tracks is also configurable.

I have a lot of audiobooks and can assure you the expected behavior with the Books library type is that it tracks progress.

(2024-02-08, 01:49 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: For your testing, how far into the audiobook were you listening?  I forget where the setting is, but there is a minimum watch/listen time before playback tracking starts.  Something like a minute into the content before it starts tracking progress.

And the increment it tracks is also configurable.

I have a lot of audiobooks and can assure you the expected behavior with the Books library type is that it tracks progress.

I made sure to pass the minimum watch time. Just re-tested it with 1min minimum to make sure. Restarted app/device just in case, but still not saving progress.

Thanks for the tip about library type.

Still unresolved if anyone else has ideas.

Can you share your logs?

Do you have a reverse proxy setup? If so, are you passing the web socket?

(2024-02-08, 02:35 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Can you share your logs?
Do you have a reverse proxy setup?  If so, are you passing the web socket?

https://pastebin.com/0DXh5PMT
^logs
This is a snippet of logs from testing progress saving. "Leaving.Las.Vegas.1995.US.1080p.BluRay.x265.HEVC.EAC3-SARTRE.mkv" is the test movie which progress is saved successfully. "No44TheMysteriousStranger" is the audio file which does not save successfully. If more logs are needed, lmk.

No reverse proxy set up.

The log looks like it is tracking progress.

Code:
[2024-02-07 19:29:45.632 -08:00] [INF] [90] Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app "Jellyfin Web" "10.8.13" playing "No44TheMysteriousStranger". Stopped at "455996" ms

I see the same log in my server when I stop playback.

Code:
[2024-02-08 05:21:35.130 +00:00] [INF] [48] Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app "Jellyfin Web" "10.8.13" playing "My Dark Vanessa". Stopped at "1674774" ms

How are you resuming the audiobook?  My main setup is bare metal Linux, but I spun up a docker container and added my audiobooks just to make sure that there isn't some difference between the docker and package versions.  BTW, which image are you using?  I'm using the official jellyfin/jellyfin:10.8.13-1 image.

I was not able to reproduce your behavior.  It resumes as expected when I click play on "Continue Listening".

(2024-02-08, 05:23 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: The log looks like it is tracking progress.

Code:
[2024-02-07 19:29:45.632 -08:00] [INF] [90] Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app "Jellyfin Web" "10.8.13" playing "No44TheMysteriousStranger". Stopped at "455996" ms

I see the same log in my server when I stop playback.

Code:
[2024-02-08 05:21:35.130 +00:00] [INF] [48] Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app "Jellyfin Web" "10.8.13" playing "My Dark Vanessa". Stopped at "1674774" ms

How are you resuming the audiobook?  My main setup is bare metal Linux, but I spun up a docker container and added my audiobooks just to make sure that there isn't some difference between the docker and package versions.  BTW, which image are you using?  I'm using the official jellyfin/jellyfin:10.8.13-1 image.

I was not able to reproduce your behavior.  It resumes as expected when I click play on "Continue Listening".

Docker repository: lscr.io/linuxserver/jellyfin

How am I resuming the audiobook? - I play the audiobook until it should save progress, pause it and exit jellyfin, then come back and check if it's saved. 

Also I should note, the audiobooks never shows up on 'continue listening' like your screenshot. I do have a 'continue watching' which operates normally.

About to head to bed, but I when I get home from work tomorrow I will spin up a LSIO container. Since that image is not maintained by us, there's the possibility the problem you are having is unique to their image.