Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Playback Error - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Playback Error (/t-solved-playback-error--4349)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Playback Error - Hostile_18 - 2024-02-08

Hi. Bit of an odd one. Some of my films that are on paper no different to other files (i.e x265 1080 SDR .mkv) won't play on some clients screens. There seems to be no reason for it. For example Deadpool 2 will play on my Local PC direct but not my local Bedroom TV (which is another modern LG 22 Oled), it will play transcoded on my phone though, but it will also not play on a clients tv outside of my local network, while other similar file types will. I'd say about 30% of my collection this happens to. I'm using Intel quick sync, but even with it set to "none" the issue persists on those screens for select movies. 

How do I go about narrowing down the problem please?

RE: Playback Error - Hostile_18 - 2024-02-08

Fixed it. It was actually using the Jellyfin Media Player app on the firestick, the default "exo player" wasn't working with select files, changing it to any thing else in the user settings fixed it.

RE: Playback Error - jellofinnn - 2024-02-08

(2024-02-08, 04:40 PM)Hostile_18 Wrote: Fixed it. It was actually using the Jellyfin Media Player app on the firestick, the default "exo player" wasn't working with select files, changing it to any thing else in the user settings fixed it.

Strange one because exo player is the one that works flawlessly for me, or at least has thus far… what file types was is struggling with btw?

RE: Playback Error - TheDreadPirate - 2024-02-08

I second what jellofinnn said. I manually selected exoplayer as my preferred player on my CCwGTV 4K. But you are also not the first Firestick user where exo didn't work as expected. Since exo is provided by the OS, and FireOS is very much not keeping up with Android in general, I'm not surprised this has become the norm for Firesticks.

RE: Playback Error - Hostile_18 - 2024-02-08

(2024-02-08, 04:47 PM)jellofinnn Wrote:
(2024-02-08, 04:40 PM)Hostile_18 Wrote: Fixed it. It was actually using the Jellyfin Media Player app on the firestick, the default "exo player" wasn't working with select files, changing it to any thing else in the user settings fixed it.

Strange one because exo player is the one that works flawlessly for me, or at least has thus far… what file types was is struggling with btw?

Yeah I tried reverting it back to the exo player to make sure and both the Babaddook and Deadpool 1 and 2 wouldn't play with the Exo player selected. 

I compared it to others that do work on it like The Crow and I can't see any file differences that would make it not play one movie over another. They are all MKV, all 1080p, x265, same audio codec, all direct playing.

Both my second screen and my client that was having trouble were using Jellyfin with the media player on a Firestick, so I guess that was the commonality?

RE: Playback Error - tmsrxzar - 2024-02-08

yes there may be known issues with firestick* however there is more than 1 version of the stick (more like 4+)
2023 stick max has issues with some HDR types and DolbyVision
older sticks have issues with main10

in order to nail down the actual issue i would need to know which stick and see a mediainfo output

but if libvlc works for you then you can just do that, note there is no DolbyVision support with libvlc

RE: Playback Error - Hostile_18 - 2024-02-09

(2024-02-08, 09:50 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote: yes there may be known issues with firestick* however there is more than 1 version of the stick (more like 4+)
2023 stick max has issues with some HDR types and DolbyVision
older sticks have issues with main10

in order to nail down the actual issue i would need to know which stick and see a mediainfo output

but if libvlc works for you then you can just do that, note there is no DolbyVision support with libvlc

I'll have a look more indepth tomorrow. My firestick is a Firestick 4k one, one client is a 1080p firestick and a third client im not sure what Firestick she is using. All 3 clients work with the libvlc, though I noted on my one that the audio was ever so slightly out of sync with it. It certainly would be great for all videos to work with the default player.
I took these two screen shots, one movie where it would work, and another where it wouldn't. I was confused because I couldn't see a difference between the two. (To get the video playback for the movie that wasnt working I loaded it on the Media App on my PC, where is does work).
[Image: 2.png]
[Image: Screenshot-2024-02-08-162841.png]

RE: Playback Error - Hostile_18 - 2024-02-10

(2024-02-08, 04:52 PM)Hostile_18 Wrote:
(2024-02-08, 04:47 PM)jellofinnn Wrote:

Yeah I tried reverting it back to the exo player to make sure and both the Babaddook and Deadpool 1 and 2 wouldn't play with the Exo player selected. 

I compared it to others that do work on it like The Crow and I can't see any file differences that would make it not play one movie over another. They are all MKV, all 1080p, x265, same audio codec, all direct playing.

Both my second screen and my client that was having trouble were using Jellyfin with the media player on a Firestick, so I guess that was the commonality?

Hi. I've looked into it and my firestick that isn't working is Amazon Firestick 4k (1st gen), my clients firestick is Firestick 1080p 2021. Two other clients that can't play the same certain movies, but there not sure what firestick they are using. All files play on everyone's phones however.

RE: Playback Error - tmsrxzar - 2024-02-10

need to verify your media files are compatible https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications-fire-tv-streaming-media-player.html?v=ftvstick4k

other than Main 10 your screenshots don't show profile level so i can't tell you they are or are not

RE: Playback Error - Hostile_18 - 2024-02-10

(2024-02-10, 08:41 PM)tmsrxzar Wrote: need to verify your media files are compatible https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications-fire-tv-streaming-media-player.html?v=ftvstick4k

other than Main 10 your screenshots don't show profile level so i can't tell you they are or are not

Looks to be compatible, but I'm a little out my depth.

Here's two examples that won't work for everyone on firesticks;
[Image: wont-work-1.png]
[Image: wont-work-2.png]

Here's two examples that will work for everyone on firesticks;

[Image: Will-work-1.png]
[Image: will-work-2.png]