Jellyfin Forum
Kodi “play with issue” - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Kodi “play with issue” (/t-kodi-%E2%80%9Cplay-with-issue%E2%80%9D)

Kodi “play with issue” - Jman4000 - 2024-02-14

I got jellyfin playing to (cast) my oppo by using the app and on my Mac. I’m trying to setup kodi (with jellyfin plugin ) to dlna play to/with my oppo 203.

Installed jellyfin and jellycon. (The kodi sync option seems to turn off every time I exit the program assuming it’s supposed to do that). Sometimes the “play with” option doesn’t show, sometimes it does. When it does show however it says it’s sending to my oppo when selected….however when I switch my receiver to it isn’t showing the movie. A couple of times the screen went black but I’m not sure if it was triggered or just a bug while switching. (It went black from the app once out of a dozen times) The same file works on the jellyfin app and from Mac to my oppo. So I know it’s not the file. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong in setup. Any advice to problem solve appreciated.

RE: Kodi “play with issue” - mcarlton00 - 2024-02-14

I think you may be duplicating work and it's leading to weird behavior.

While Jellyfin for Kodi and JellyCon are separate addons and can work independently of each other, if you're only trying to use this as a cast target there's no reason to have both of them installed. Jellyfin for Kodi and the whole sync process has no purpose here other than making extra popups in the way, and JellyCon will be more than sufficient for this use case.

The play with functionality is dependent on websockets. If it's not showing up in the web UI/mobile app, that means the websocket connection between your kodi box and the server has failed at some point. There's code to attempt to reconnect it, but it seems to be finnicky at best. The other part is that if your receiver is anything like mine, when your kodi device isn't selected as the input device, your kodi device has no displays connected at all. So it starts trying to play a video to nothing, and then you switch the receiver to it and it's trying to reconfigure displays and sometimes freaks out. Would probably be more reliable to switch to kodi before trying to cast to it.

RE: Kodi “play with issue” - Jman4000 - 2024-02-16

Ok, I removed jellyfin and kept Jellycon, reinstalled fresh incase there could be conflicts from previously having both. A few interesting things popped up. First I added the library with upnp and it saw the library but didn’t add anything. I then added it with nfs and it found the movies and can play them through the shield. However the “play with” function doesn’t show.

How is it supposed to be added, to be able to play with either kodi on shield or to the Blu-ray player? Interestingly when I had both the “play with” tended to show up but can’t now.( I tried on before this instal with jellyfin and that didn’t work either) that’s when I did the fresh install with jellycon based on your recommendation.

Also I found a few post that reference the websockets breaking if the server and kodi break connection. Are you familiar with this thought? If so can closing and restarting both help? If so does one have to be done first? Like does jellyfin on the server have to be up first then reopen kodi.. or vice versa?

As far as the websocket connection, imma bit confused on that is it a line of code? Does it add to the shield or to the jellyfin on my nas? Is there an specific link or anything I would need or just keep searching I’ll find it. .? Also you say it’s finicky does that mean it doesn’t really work or is just buggy and one needs patience with it sometimes. Appreciate all the effort. Ive read online people using kodi with their oppo 203 and it working well just wish I knew how they did it…your advice is very helpful.

RE: Kodi “play with issue” - mcarlton00 - 2024-02-16

There shouldn't be any conflicts from having both addons installed, as they're totally separate codebases and don't share any code.  It's just not necessary.

It sounds as though you may have installed both, set up jellyfin for kodi, but jellycon isn't configured.  Otherwise you would've seen two entries in the "play with" menu, one from jellyfin for kodi and one from jellycon (see image).  Or it's been set up and disabled the "Enable jellyfin remote control" setting for some reason.  You may need to go into the addon settings and try to do the server detection and user setup again.

[Image: sSdB92s.png]

Correct, websockets require an active network connection between the client and the server.  If there's any drops then the websocket connection will fail.  It attempts to reconnect, but isn't the most reliable currently.  The server has to be online before the client can establish the websocket, so if you're restarting things definitely make sure the client comes up last.

RE: Kodi “play with issue” - Jman4000 - 2024-03-08

Appreciate the help. I’m kinda stuck. Besides “enable jellyfin remote control “ are there any other essentially jelly con settings? (Direct play enabled?). I’ve tried numerous times and couldn’t get the “play on.” For troubleshooting purpose I tried just jellyfin app on my nas to see if “play to “ shows, it did, showed all the devices and played on all. Then attempted to setup jellycon with kodi and my Mac and Xbox kodi , just trying to get it to show up, in case the shield itself had a problem. It won’t show up on any of them, I got it to show sometimes in the movie list (not the wall) and it showed oppo however it wouldn’t actually play to, also other devices( like shield, )etc didn’t show. Wether it’s jellycon or jellyfin for kodi doesn’t really matter to me to get “play to “to work. Whatever other suggestions you have I’m open.

Other info if it helps.
The movies are added completely with the jellycon/fin app, nothing is through file manager. Enable unpn is on, look for remote upnp players, also on….

Should “allow control via http be on?”
Is there any kind of a permission issue I should look for?

Not sure what else to suggest