Jellyfin Forum
How to change default version of movie? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: How to change default version of movie? (/t-how-to-change-default-version-of-movie)

How to change default version of movie? - Nathan5471 - 2024-02-14

I have the normal version of Into the spider-verse as Spider-Man - Into the Spider-Verse and the Alternate Universe Mode as Spider-Man - Into the Spider-Verse - Alternate Universe Mode. Is there any way I can make it choose the normal version as the default?

RE: How to change default version of movie? - bitmap - 2024-02-14

The options are listed alphabetically if I recall correctly. Use the naming conventions of space-hyphen-space [version title] and ensure that the original has a version title alphanumerically before "Alternate Universe". In other words, something like this:

Spiderman Into the Spider-verse - 01 Original Universe.mkv

Spiderman Into the Spider-verse - 02 Alternate Universe.mkv

RE: How to change default version of movie? - Nathan5471 - 2024-02-14

Thanks, I will do that.

RE: How to change default version of movie? - visualblind - 2024-06-09

(2024-02-14, 06:05 PM)bitmap Wrote: The options are listed alphabetically if I recall correctly. Use the naming conventions of space-hyphen-space [version title] and ensure that the original has a version title alphanumerically before "Alternate Universe". In other words, something like this:

Seems that the code that dealt with ordering must have changed from 10.8.13 > 10.9.3 regarding the default selected when employing multiple versions of a movie.
Back on 10.8.13 I typically used the method you described but simply preceded the bracketed label with numbers in decreasing priority. This way of trying to influence default order by manipulating the file name no longer works and it is being determined first by the choosing the media with largest resolution (metadata jellyfin obtains via ffprobe), and if resolution is identical I would assume it falls back to filename ordering.

Example which no longer works:

2023 Wimbledon Final Carlos Alcaraz vs Novak Djokovic/
├── 2023 Wimbledon Final Carlos Alcaraz vs Novak Djokovic - 1[720p 50fps H264].mp4
└── 2023 Wimbledon Final Carlos Alcaraz vs Novak Djokovic - 2[1080p 25fps H264].mp4

From the filenames above I was trying to force the default selected to be the 720p version, but since 1080p is a larger resolution that version will be the default regardless of what anyone else actually wants. I can understand the reason they changed it, but I feel it's taking too much control out of the hands of site owners.

RE: How to change default version of movie? - ThomasPGH - 2024-06-10

(2024-06-09, 02:56 AM)visualblind Wrote:
(2024-02-14, 06:05 PM)bitmap Wrote: The options are listed alphabetically if I recall correctly. Use the naming conventions of space-hyphen-space [version title] and ensure that the original has a version title alphanumerically before "Alternate Universe". In other words, something like this:

Seems that the code that dealt with ordering must have changed from 10.8.13 > 10.9.3 regarding the default selected when employing multiple versions of a movie.
Back on 10.8.13 I typically used the method you described but simply preceded the bracketed label with numbers in decreasing priority. This way of trying to influence default order by manipulating the file name no longer works and it is being determined first by the choosing the media with largest resolution (metadata jellyfin obtains via ffprobe), and if resolution is identical I would assume it falls back to filename ordering.

├── 2023 Wimbledon Final Carlos Alcaraz vs Novak Djokovic - 1[720p 50fps H264].mp4
└── 2023 Wimbledon Final Carlos Alcaraz vs Novak Djokovic - 2[1080p 25fps H264].mp4

From the filenames above I was trying to force the default selected to be the 720p version, but since 1080p is a larger resolution that version will be the default regardless of what anyone else actually wants. I can understand the reason they changed it, but I feel it's taking too much control out of the hands of site owners.

I figured this too. I'm not sure but this might be a bug as the documentation actually says otherwise.
https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/movies/

RE: How to change default version of movie? - 5cdru1ls - 2024-06-10

(2024-06-09, 02:56 AM)visualblind Wrote: (...)

If you don't want the higher resolution to be selected, why on earth are you labeling the resolution for jellyfin to trigger this behaviour? 

If you dont want it sorted by the resolution label, dont use the resolution label? 

Its literally behaviour you can control yourself and explained in the docs: sorting is alphabetical if there is no resolution label.

RE: How to change default version of movie? - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-06-10

(2024-06-10, 08:51 PM)5cdru1ls Wrote: If you don't want the higher resolution to be selected, why on earth are you labeling the resolution for jellyfin to trigger this behaviour? 
Having the resolution in the filename makes it way faster to differentiate which file is which when you're browsing your files on a computer.
Yes, the docs do state how the system works, and I understand that using Jellyfin requires some compromises, but there are people that desire a certain file naming structure so they can identify their files.
It's not really surprising why people would want the resolution a video is set at in the filename when they store multiples of the same video in the same directory.

Is it reasonable to expect people give up that convenience and download mediainfo, then take the few seconds more to open each video's info? Should people start looking at file size to determine which file is the 1080p vs the 4K one?

Again, compromises are made when using something like Jellyfin, though that doesn't mean that people will be entirely happy with the changes to their folder/file structure.

RE: How to change default version of movie? - ThomasPGH - 2024-06-10

(2024-06-10, 08:51 PM)5cdru1ls Wrote: If you don't want the higher resolution to be selected, why on earth are you labeling the resolution for jellyfin to trigger this behaviour? 

If the resolution is the only difference between the two versions, what would you name it then?

I actually find the current behaviour a bit odd. It did work correctly in 10.8.13, though.
10.8.13 picked the 1080p version by default even if there's a 2160p version in a browser and on phones. The Android TV version defaulted to 2160, which is what I believe most users would expect from a TV. On most phones the user won't even notice a difference between the two but the one with the lower resolution loads much quicker and requires less mobile traffic.

Quote:2023 Wimbledon Final Carlos Alcaraz vs Novak Djokovic/

By the way, did you notice that when you play one of these for a few minutes you end up with two entries for the same movie in Continue Watching or is this something that only shows up here?

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/12049