Jellyfin Forum
(How do I get jellyfin to sort books by read order? (title them like shows?) - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: (How do I get jellyfin to sort books by read order? (title them like shows?) (/t-how-do-i-get-jellyfin-to-sort-books-by-read-order-title-them-like-shows)

(How do I get jellyfin to sort books by read order? (title them like shows?) - Betonhaus - 2024-02-15

I've been having issues getting my ebooks and audiobooks to be displayed in the correct order and i've been trying a few different ways to organize them. I'm wondering if it would make sense to use the labelling system that tv shows use, where each file is prefixed with a code like this: S01E01P01, where S01 refers to the series the book belongs to (author's primary or first series would be S01, and spinoffs or other works would be S02, S03, etc based on the date of the first book, with S00 for standalone books), E02 refers to the exact book in the series (Could use "B" instead so B01, B02, etc) And P01 refers to the book part if the book file is split into parts or chapters.

so folder structure could be like
George R. R. Martin/
├─ S01 Game of Thrones/
│  ├─ S01E01 A Game of Thrones.mp3
│  ├─ S01E02 A Clash of Kings/
│  ├─ ├─ S01E02P01 A Clash of Kings.mp3
│  ├─ ├─ S01E02P02 A Clash of Kings.mp3

Ideally if Jellyfin could handle the book subfolders transparently, like a little progress bar that indicates how many parts have been read and lettign you choose the next one?

Is that feasible? It seems to work for my audiobooks but not for my epub ebooks (it worked when I had epub and mobi versions in the individual book folders, but not when I removed the mobi versions)

or maybe I should just figure out why readarr is so terrible and set renaming schema to {Author Name}/{Book Series}/{Book SeriesPosition:00} {Book Title} ({Release YearFirst})/{PartNumber:00} {Book Title}
But then how do I make jellyfin respect the book read order? Sorting by folder doesn't work.

RE: Should audiobooks be titled like shows? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-02-15

We have book/audiobook file name documentation here.

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/server/media/books/

RE: Should audiobooks be titled like shows? - Betonhaus - 2024-02-15

Jellyfin doesn't seem to respect book read order and i can't seem to get it to do so.

RE: Should audiobooks be titled like shows? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-02-15

I'll experiment when I get home and get back to you.

RE: Should audiobooks be titled like shows? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-02-16

I couldn't get around to properly setup my testing server's Audiobook library. I finish setting up a comparable library on Saturday and get back to you. Sorry for the delay.

RE: Should audiobooks be titled like shows? - Betonhaus - 2024-02-17

I did manage to figure out readarr, which put a numbered prefix in front of each books folder name so that they would be in the correct order when sorted alphabetically in a file manager, but I don't see a way for Jellyfin to do that. It does seem to sorta have a "sort by year" function but it's very useless, with books having newer years when the republications came out, and other books just having "100" as the year.

RE: (How do I get jellyfin to sort books by read order? (title them like shows?) - Betonhaus - 2024-02-20

I still have not had any success in figuring out how to get Jellyfin to sort books by read order. I don't know why the folder sort doesn't put them in order based on the folder names

RE: (How do I get jellyfin to sort books by read order? (title them like shows?) - TheDreadPirate - 2024-02-20

I didn't have any luck either. Try editing the metadata (in the JF UI) and update or enter something in the "Sort title".

RE: (How do I get jellyfin to sort books by read order? (title them like shows?) - Betonhaus - 2024-02-22

yeah I'll just update the metadata manually for my ebooks. I'm not going to bother for my audiobook collection I got haphazardly as those things are cursed. One book is one file and another book is 300 parts