Jellyfin Forum
Any way to add/change what metadata from nfo gets sent through DLNA? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Any way to add/change what metadata from nfo gets sent through DLNA? (/t-any-way-to-add-change-what-metadata-from-nfo-gets-sent-through-dlna)

Any way to add/change what metadata from nfo gets sent through DLNA? - jorhajnes - 2024-02-18

Hi!

Is there someone who knows if there is a way to force more of the metadata to get sent through DLNA?
Maybe I'm not really grasping how this works but for me it feels like most of the metadata from nfo's dont make it through DLNA.

Things that do work:
Setting a title - this gets read and displayed over DLNA.
Adding "Genres" - this works (kind of) even though the nfo gets written instantly it doesn's display over DLNA unless i do a "Scan All Libraries" in dashboard - libraries (just scanning the file, library or collection it belongs to isn't enough to trigger the visible change over DLNA).

But after these two i cant find many other nfo info that makes it through.

My wish - To have "People", "Studios" and "Tags" that feels like the same type of metadata as "Genres" get shown over DLNA and get extra sorting options.

When editing a file in Plex (i know it doesnt use nfo but rather its own database hence why i dont use it) there are a ton of more options to sort from over DLNA - release date, actors, ratings, studios, genres, tags and many more.

If its only down to a database to show the information is there a way for me to modify the database to also send "People", "Studios" and "Tags" from my nfo's?

Im on a iMac and playing videos through a Quest 3 using both Pigasus VR player and Skybox (both of them only display "genres" and Skybox have problems identifying Jellyfins DLNA server so mostly using Pigasus).

RE: Any way to add/change what metadata from nfo gets sent through DLNA? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-02-18

DLNA does not support the extra metadata you want to pass. DLNA is a fixed protocol that is no longer being developed. The corpo consortium that made and developed it abandoned it in 2017(?).

There is no way to "make" Jellyfin pass more metadata. The client requests it and Jellyfin provides it and DLNA just can't and won't request it.

RE: Any way to add/change what metadata from nfo gets sent through DLNA? - jorhajnes - 2024-02-18

Thanks for your reply, so if I get this correct its not an issue with DLNA but rather Jellyfins databases.
Then maybe my question wasn't formulated correctly:

If the client pulled data directly from my nfo's then I wouldn't have had to do a full scan of my libraries for the changes to show up on the client side (my guess is that Jellyfin reads the nfo's when I scan and adds it to a database?).
Seeing how alot more info gets shown and can be sorted/tagged by via Plex it's not an issue on the client side either.
That leaves me to the conclusion that Plex is doing something in their databases that can be shown and sorted by my client (Pigasus) that Jellyfin is not. Could it be that Jellyfin only has a set number of lines it looks for and adds to its database from the nfo's and if so wouldn't it be possible to increase it to add more of the lines from the nfo's?