Jellyfin Forum
Is it possible to add custom naming conventions to Jellyfin? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Is it possible to add custom naming conventions to Jellyfin? (/t-is-it-possible-to-add-custom-naming-conventions-to-jellyfin)

Is it possible to add custom naming conventions to Jellyfin? - damnsignin - 2024-03-01

I have just recently moved my entire media collection of nearly 15 years to a Media NAS with Jellyfin. I'm trying to figure out how to configure IMDB data collection. I've read the server guide for movies and shows and my structure is close, but not identical. My collection has tens of thousands of folders with hundreds of thousands of files. I've used a "slim" version of the name conventions, like so:

Quote:Shows
├── Series Name A
│  ├── Season 01
│  │  ├── 0101-0102 - Episode Title .mkv
│  │  ├── 0103 - Episode Title .mkv
│  │  └── 0104 - Episode Title .mkv
│  └── Season 02
│      ├── 0201 - Episode Title .mkv
│      ├── 0202 - Episode Title .mkv
│      ├── 0203 - Episode Title - Part 1.mkv
│      └── 0203 - Episode Title - Part 2.mkv
└── Series Name B
│  ├── Season 01
│  │  ├── 0101-0102 - Episode Title .mkv
│  │  ├── 0103 - Episode Title .mkv
│  │  └── 0104 - Episode Title .mkv
│  └── Season 02
│      ├── 0201 - Episode Title .mkv
│      ├── 0202 - Episode Title .mkv
└──Franchise Series A
│  ├── Series A (1987)
│  │  └── Season 01
│  │  │  ├── 0101-0102 - Episode Title .mkv
│  │  │  ├── 0103 - Episode Title .mkv
│  │  │  └── 0104 - Episode Title .mkv
│  │  └── Season 02
│  │      ├── 0201 - Episode Title .mkv
│  │      ├── 0202 - Episode Title .mkv
│  ├── Series B (1993)
│  │  └── Season 01
│  │  │  ├── 0101-0102 - Episode Title .mkv
│  │  │  ├── 0103 - Episode Title .mkv
│  │  │  └── 0104 - Episode Title .mkv
│  │  └── Season 02
│  │      ├── 0201 - Episode Title .mkv
│  │      ├── 0202 - Episode Title .mkv

Quote:Movies
├── Franchise Name A
│  ├── (2012) 1 - Movie Subname
│  └── (2015) 2 - Movie Subname
└── Franchise Name B
│  ├── (1997) 1 - Movie Subname
│  └── (2003) 2 - Movie Subname 
├── Film (1990).mp4
├── Film (2022).mp4
├── Film (1999).mp4 
├── Film (2004).mp4
└── Film (1987).mp4

For shows, I've just set up the episodes under the season and under the series, sometimes under a franchise, with each episode as SSEE (or SSEEE in very rare cases) without the S##E## format because it seemed redundant to have all the extra labels on each episode.

For movies, I similarity tried to avoid redundancies by just placing movie series in shared folders with years and numbering for titles. Some movies series will even have (1984a) and (1984b) to sort the movies in order if they are the same year, but different titles.

Is there any way I can instruct Jellyfin to use this structure? To tell it to just auto read the titles of episodes as [Parent series folder -> Parent Season folder -> episode] for shows and [Parent movie series folder -> (year) movie title] for movies?

Otherwise it could take me months to rename my entire catalog to fit the set naming conventions, even with software like Bulk File Renamer.

RE: Is it possible to add custom naming conventions to Jellyfin? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-01

Not without re-writing the Jellyfin code.

You have three options. Either use a library type that only shows the folders and files without scraping online metadata, like the Music Videos library, create separate libraries for each franchise with the franchise folder as the library root, or create collections for each franchise, but the libraries have all your shows/movies.

RE: Is it possible to add custom naming conventions to Jellyfin? - mcarlton00 - 2024-03-01

Theoretically? Yes.
Practically? No.

The naming patterns are built into the server itself. You'd need to maintain a custom fork of the server that would be able to parse your nonstandard structure. If that sounds up your alley, then have fun I guess. This is probably your starting point. https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/blob/master/Emby.Naming/Common/NamingOptions.cs

I suspect if you just pull our the franchise level of your structure, you might have somewhat reliable results. Still probably not going to be wonderful, but slightly better chances of success.

RE: Is it possible to add custom naming conventions to Jellyfin? - damnsignin - 2024-03-01

Crying-loudly-face  Thank you all for your quick replies. I'll have to accept this is beyond my coding skills and live with that.

Does anyone know of a software that might expedite/automate the renaming process instead? Something that could copy the series folder name to each episode and then convert the SSEE format I've been using to S##E## on it's own to get the resulting structure Jellyfin can use? I've been using Bulk Rename Utility for years, but I don't think it could handle this automated process without creating a bunch of erroneous file name titles.

RE: Is it possible to add custom naming conventions to Jellyfin? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-01

Tiny Media Manager is a good app (not free, IIRC). Sonarr is another option.