Jellyfin Forum
LG 2023 WebOS Trouble with DTS and TrueHD - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: LG 2023 WebOS Trouble with DTS and TrueHD (/t-lg-2023-webos-trouble-with-dts-and-truehd)

LG 2023 WebOS Trouble with DTS and TrueHD - pLeX - 2024-03-01

Hey Guys,
I have here a brand new LG OLED65G39LA and try to get JellyFin running. I have the latest Server Version 10.8.13 installed on Windows 11 and using the App from the LG Store. I have an Yamaha RX-A1080 connected via HDMI-ARC. 

I cannot get audio pass through for DTS and TrueHD audio running. Every movie will be playback with PCM Stereo. When I enabling the DLNA server on jellyfin and using the media player app, DTS audio is working! Is anyone getting DTS audio working on WebOS?

regards

pLeX

RE: LG 2023 WebOS Trouble with DTS and TrueHD - anthonylavado - 2024-03-01

I want to say that the current version of Jellyfin-Web still enforces transcoding DTS to AC-3 (Dolby Digital) because of the year where LG dropped all DTS support (even passthrough). When we implemented it, I believe there was no way to confirm which model TV was being used, so we could either set it for all, or for none. Naturally we went for all. It may take a fix that would come in the next version of Jellyfin.

RE: LG 2023 WebOS Trouble with DTS and TrueHD - quixotic120 - 2024-03-07

is it possible to make it some kind of user choice? I have an lg cx oled which doesnt support DTS but have rooted it and patched in DTS support via https://github.com/lgstreamer/dts_restore

yet despite this the transcode is forced with all DTS-HD content. TrueHD is mixed - sometimes this just works, sometimes it thinks its playing direct but there is no audio, and sometimes it transcodes (which probably means I have mislabeled streams I'm guessing).

this makes sense based on what you've said but since i've patched with the above I can play back the same files directly from USB and they pass through no problem for the most part (there are some limitations described in the GitHub readme). I def understand why you would make it "all" but for people like me to be able to change it back would be very helpful although I do recognize I am an edge case. But as is this kind of breaks jellyfin for me - when HDR content transcodes the TV doesnt go into HDR mode so it looks awful.

Edit: reading up a bit it appears the (only) solution per emby is to avoid webos altogether so nevermind! see https://emby.media/support/articles/LG-Why-not-Atmos.html this makes sense as the issue is with pass through and I’ve only been able to get direct play to work with the root patches. Looks like I’m either getting a streaming box or re encoding my library, wonderful. Nothing like a $2500 tv that needs another $200 box to work lmao

RE: LG 2023 WebOS Trouble with DTS and TrueHD - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-07

FWIW, a $30-80 Android TV or Roku dongle/box will also work. My Chromecast with Google TV 4K ($50) has DTS and Dolby passthrough.

RE: LG 2023 WebOS Trouble with DTS and TrueHD - quixotic120 - 2024-03-07

(2024-03-07, 07:15 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: FWIW, a $30-80 Android TV or Roku dongle/box will also work.  My Chromecast with Google TV 4K ($50) has DTS and Dolby passthrough.

oh nice, will those do dolby vision though? currently looking at shield vs zidoo z9x but if something that cheap can do remuxes with HDR10+/DV7 then that's a much better option

RE: LG 2023 WebOS Trouble with DTS and TrueHD - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-07

On paper, the CCwGTV 4K (not HD) hardware can play DV5, DV8, and HDR10. On paper, exoplayer can handle DV5 (mp4 container only), DV8, and HDR10/+. I've only been able to get HDR10 to work on my Pixel 6a via Findroid (not the official app) using exoplayer. DV8 content sometimes works, but has issues with scrubbing. I don't own any HDR displays, but my parents do have an HDR TV I could test on the next time I visit.

RE: LG 2023 WebOS Trouble with DTS and TrueHD - quixotic120 - 2024-03-08

interesting. I will have to research more. Ideally I can find something that can play all this content but still use some form of the jellyfin client as I and my family have grown quite accustomed to it. And ideally it's a platform that can handle subtitles reasonably well, including ASS and PGS but that seems to be asking quite a bit. Maybe just building something out of a SFF pc?

on the WebOS front: I've been playing around with it more and with the fmp4-hls container (@pLeX - this is under playback in the client settings if you wish to try it yourself). I now have the DV/HDR video working directly on the TV (and looking wonderful!). TV goes into HDR or DV mode as necessary. 

DTS-HD transcodes to AAC, TrueHD passes through with issues. However, I dont know if this is actually the case. On files where TrueHD is the only track i get no audio; on files where it seems to work it seems to "skip" one track in the selection list. e.g. if I have 1. TrueHD Atmos 7.1, 2. DTS 5.1, 3. Commentary, etc and I manually select the 5.1 track when the file is playing the commentary is what actually plays. So I don't know if the TrueHD is actually what's being passed through or if the 5.1 track is although there are no logs to indicate transcoding occurred. I'll dig through the direct stream logs tomorrow to see what's happening, it's late now. My receiver is older and isn't the kind where it has a light or icon to indicate Atmos content so I can't tell that way.

I still will evaluate alternatives because I want non-transcoded audio streams and the overwhelming majority of my library is DTS-HD plus the above isn't exactly reliable results. The few rips I have where there is only 1 TrueHD audio stream have no sound, switching audio tracks is a mess, etc.

RE: LG 2023 WebOS Trouble with DTS and TrueHD - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-08

In terms of just raw playback compatibility, the best client is Kodi with one of the Jellyfin extensions installed. Which would require a SFF PC with relatively modern hardware.

RE: LG 2023 WebOS Trouble with DTS and TrueHD - quixotic120 - 2024-03-08

but then no dolby vision right? or at least no native DV passthrough, just tone mapping, from what i've read, because no graphics card mfrs will license DV. Just from this experience I'm finding native passthrough of DV content looks better than tone mapping although I'm sure that can be tuned. Everything has tradeoffs I suppose and now it's just figuring out which ones I can live with

necro edit: fwiw for anyone finding this ages later I ended up going with a ugoos am6b+ running corelec with jellyfin for kodi to connect my library. plays back all DV content with all profiles working, passing through all audio, etc. and the DTS enable patch I posted above cannot allow passthrough and likely never will