Jellyfin Forum
Unable to Play Large Movies Without Transcoding on Jellyfin Windows Client - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Unable to Play Large Movies Without Transcoding on Jellyfin Windows Client (/t-unable-to-play-large-movies-without-transcoding-on-jellyfin-windows-client)

Unable to Play Large Movies Without Transcoding on Jellyfin Windows Client - Kushal Goaten - 2024-03-06

Hello Jellyfin Community,

I'm encountering an issue with two large movie files that I'm unable to play on the official Jellyfin Windows client without transcoding. However, I've observed that these movies play smoothly on the official Jellyfin Android client without the need for transcoding. I typically watch all my movies using direct play, and I have transcoding disabled.

Here's a brief overview of the problem:

Issue:
When attempting to play these specific movies on the Jellyfin Windows client, I receive an error message indicating playback failure. The error message is as follows:

[Image: xQRY3uv.png]

[font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Noto Sans', sans-serif, 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, 'Apple Color Emoji', 'Segoe UI Emoji', 'Segoe UI Symbol', 'Noto Color Emoji']Upon examining the log file, I found the following entries:[/font]
Upon examining the log file, I found the following entries:
Code:
[2024-03-06 05:34:34.490 +01:00] [INF] [46] Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app "Jellyfin Media Player" "1.9.1" playing "The Godfather Part III". Stopped at "0" ms
[2024-03-06 05:41:54.790 +01:00] [INF] [32] Jellyfin.Api.Helpers.MediaInfoHelper: User policy for "kush". EnablePlaybackRemuxing: False EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: False EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: False
[2024-03-06 05:41:54.792 +01:00] [INF] [32] Jellyfin.Api.Helpers.MediaInfoHelper: StreamBuilder.BuildVideoItem( Profile="Jellyfin Media Player", Path="D:\Movies\The Godfather\The Godfather_ Part III 1990 2160p UHD BluRay REMUX DV HDR HEVC TrueHD 5.1-EPSiLON.mkv", AudioStreamIndex=null, SubtitleStreamIndex=null ) => ( PlayMethod=Transcode, TranscodeReason=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit )

Request for Assistance:
I'm seeking assistance from the community to find a solution to play these movies without transcoding on the Jellyfin Windows client. Given that the Jellyfin Android client can handle these files without transcoding, I believe there might be a configuration issue or a difference in codec support between the two clients.

Any guidance or insights on resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if additional information is required.

Thank you for your help.

RE: Unable to Play Large Movies Without Transcoding on Jellyfin Windows Client - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-03-06

From the logs you posted, looks like it transcodes because the container's bitrate is over the allowed limit. Do you have a bitrate limit set on your server?

If you want to keep the bitrate limit enabled, you can always encode the video(s) once with Handbrake to lower the bitrates.

RE: Unable to Play Large Movies Without Transcoding on Jellyfin Windows Client - Kushal Goaten - 2024-03-07

server has no limit as it plays on the android client same server same movie direct play

RE: Unable to Play Large Movies Without Transcoding on Jellyfin Windows Client - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-07

On the Windows client, did you set a max bit?

RE: Unable to Play Large Movies Without Transcoding on Jellyfin Windows Client - Kushal Goaten - 2024-03-07

i re re installed the app on windows but this time I del Jellyfin folder and in app data after uninstalling and it is working now.