Jellyfin Forum
Win 10 & NAS - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Win 10 & NAS (/t-win-10-nas)

Win 10 & NAS - Schmusername - 2024-03-06

Been running on a Win10 with a 16tb internal, and recently expanded to a NAS

Couldn't get JF install to work on the Synology OS, and Plex had major framerate drop, even with paid version, while Jellyfin works fine on the PC while accessing internal HDDs.

I want to disuse my local media folders and have JF, which is installed on my desktop PC, to play media stored on my NAS. 

So I go to add a library, and add folders to that library.

But, when I am prompted to add a folder to a library, I cannot very well understand how to fill out the fields on the screen. I'm unsure what format/style/syntax they all need to be.
I have tried a lot of variations and attempted to get JF to recognize the folders' network locations, but it just either doesn't recognize anything I've tried, or a setting somewhere might be off. Attached is a screenshot, and honestly I don't even know what a correct example would look like.

The first field is asking for "Folder"

Question: Folder what? What do I put here? Might sound like a stupid question, but if I were to provide a perfectly correct answer to this question it is simply: MOVIES. But I know that won't work. So what will? The networked folder location? The folder type? The folder name AND loccation? I really don't know.

The Second Field is asking for "Shared network folder"

Same question - what do I put here? Again - I'm not being obtuse. I just want to know, assuming the name of the folder is MOVIES, which is inside of VIDEO, which is inside of MYSERVERNAME, then how would that look? Honestly the shared network folder name is MOVIES, but the location is MYSERVERNAME/VIDEO/MOVIES, but sometimes it comes up as MYSERVERNAME/VOLUME1/VIDEO/MOVIES, and so I really really don't know how to fill this out. A bit more description, clearer examples would have made a world of difference.

Thanks in advance.

Can someone please provide an example of a correctly filled out page like this so I can see the formatting of the text? Thank you all for your help.

RE: Win 10 & NAS - pxr5 - 2024-03-06

OK, there are quite a few variables that are needed before the correct format string goes into these fields:

1. You have a Synology NAS right. Are there any shared folders on the NAS? I assume you do and have some video (Movie and TV) folders shared out. What protocol are you accessing the shares by - SMB, NFS?

2. How do you access these shared NAS folders with Windows 10? Can you see these folders from Windows 10? If you can then the format for Jellyfin would be the same. e.g. for SMB it would be \\nasname\sharedfoldername or \\192.168.x.x\sharedfoldername These would go in the "Shared network folder" field.

(Help with setting up shared folders correctly: https://mariushosting.com/synology-how-to-create-a-shared-folder/

As you have a Synology NAS, the easiest way to run Jellyfin is with a Docker container. Here is a great guide on how to set it up https://mariushosting.com/how-to-install-jellyfin-on-your-synology-nas/

RE: Win 10 & NAS - Schmusername - 2024-03-07

What protocol are you accessing the shares by - SMB, NFS?

1. Sorry, I don't know what the SMB NFS or what protocol is. It's doubtful I'd be able to answer that question unless you told me exactly where to look.

I have Folders called TV and Movies on my NAS. They are shared with 2 user accounts on my NAS's OS. The Name of the NAS's OS is simply called DSM. So in DSM, I have set those to shared with the 2 user accounts within the Synology OS.

2. As far as the Windows machine, where the JF server software is installed, I couldn't tell you what kind of status the folders have right now. Viewing the folders in Windows file explorer, all I can say is they look just like ordinary windows folders, except their parent folders have little green pipes next to the folder icon.

So, assuming, just as an educational exercise if I was using "SMB protocol" and my server's name was BozosNAS, and I wanted to share the folder "Movies" it would be \\BozosNAS\Movies ? Or 192.168.x.x\Movies ? WHat goes in the x places? How would I find that information?

Now that I'm looking at your first link my reaction is, yes, you can be sure I did that process months ago when I put it together. It was one of the first steps.
I don't know what a Docker container is.

And now I'm working through the guide you linked last, and I am at an impasse because after I executed the task to find my UID & GID, I found my Synology Quick Connect is borked and it's a whole other ticket. I ran the task, but until I fix this other thing, I won't be able to set those variables. I'll try to fix whatever is preventing me from connecting to my email, and I'll bookmark this conversation.

Thanks for your help, I think I'm on the right path.

RE: Win 10 & NAS - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-03-07

(2024-03-07, 03:19 AM)Schmusername Wrote: What protocol are you accessing the shares by - SMB, NFS?

1. Sorry, I don't know what the SMB NFS or what protocol is. It's doubtful I'd be able to answer that question unless you told me exactly where to look.

I have Folders called TV and Movies on my NAS. They are shared with 2 user accounts on my NAS's OS. The Name of the NAS's OS is simply called DSM. So in DSM, I have set those to shared with the 2 user accounts within the Synology OS.

2. As far as the Windows machine, where the JF server software is installed, I couldn't tell you what kind of status the folders have right now. Viewing the folders in Windows file explorer, all I can say is they look just like ordinary windows folders, except their parent folders have little green pipes next to the folder icon.
Sounds like SMB. If you mounted the Synology shared folders with "\\<your-nas-name>\<folder-name>", that's how SMB shares are mounted on Windows.

(2024-03-07, 03:19 AM)Schmusername Wrote: So, assuming, just as an educational exercise if I was using "SMB protocol" and my server's name was BozosNAS, and I wanted to share the folder "Movies" it would be \\BozosNAS\Movies ? Or 192.168.x.x\Movies ? WHat goes in the x places? How would I find that information?
The "x" variables are placeholders for your NAS' IP address. With Synology, you'll see it's IP address on your home page widget on the bottom-right of the screen. 192.168.x.x is a common internal network range, so if you see IP addresses that start with those numbers, you have to be on the person's network to access them as they're not external facing IPs.

Look at where your media folder is on Windows. When you mount it to your Windows Explorer, you have to give it a drive letter. What drive letter does your NAS folder have? (ex: D:, E:, F: etc...)
On the first screenshot that you posted, you're supposed to click on the drive letter that's the same one on the mounted NAS folder with your media files.
You can either type out the full path, or you can click on the provided GUI. Just click your way to your media file(s).

Since you already have mounted the NAS folder onto Windows, you do not need to type in a shared network folder path. You're supposed to do only one of the two to create a library on Jellyfin.
The shared network folder option is if you don't have the NAS folder mounted directly to your computer.

RE: Win 10 & NAS - Schmusername - 2024-03-26

That was it - I was accessing my data through Windows "Network", and I was unaware of this drive letter assignation ritual. I Opened Synology Assistant and mapped my drives and gave them letters. I had no idea you could/should do that. Seems weird, but whatever. It worked!