Jellyfin Forum
Is there an Android TV player that just works? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Is there an Android TV player that just works? (/t-is-there-an-android-tv-player-that-just-works)

Is there an Android TV player that just works? - baratazana - 2024-03-06

I've been using Jellyfin for a while now on a Chromecast with google HD, and on an Onn TV android TV box. Both work generally fine, but I could never find a player that gives me that "just works for any situation" experience.

A bit of info:

My media is on a server, and the players connect to the server via WiFi (AC). Bandwidth is sufficient and jitter is acceptable. Most of my media is MKV files with embedded subtitles (srt), but some external (srt) subtitles can be present at times. The most common video codec is H.264, with H.265 in the second place. Most common audio codecs are AAC and AC3, but EAC3 is becoming common too. I try to avoid transcoding as much as I can, but remuxing sometimes is unavoidable.

Here's my current experiencie with different players:

Exoplayer
  • Works mostly well and integrates well with Jellyfin.
  • Must remember to set the max bandwidth to a high value. Auto sometimes causes transcoding.
  • Problem: Subtitles Constantly delayed by 1s or so. No place to adjust timing in the player.
  • Problem: Seeking forward or backwards causes the subtitles to get really out of sync. I read a plausible explanation online about how remuxing would always cause this, but sometimes it works. This is related to the fact that Exoplayer does not support MKV containers directly.
  • Workaround: Convert all a/v/s from MKV containers into separate mp4/srt files? This would be a bit annoying.

LibVLC
  • Works mostly well and integrates with jellyfin.
  • Problem: Has a super annoying "micro stutter" problem when subtitles are displayed. Does not happen on all media, but it does on most of the media I have. It's annoying enough to be unusable.

Vimu (external)
  • Supports most A/V formats without problems.
  • Supports MKVs (no remuxing!)
  • Configurable streaming buffer size. Shows buffer levels. Good for debugging.
  • Problem: No configuration option to turn on subtitles by default. Requires user to turn it on every time.
  • Problem: Does not support external (srt) subtitles. A workaround is to embed all srt subtitles into MKV files.
  • Problem: Under some conditions, will stutter weirdly (as if missing frames), even when the buffer is full. Once it starts to stutter, the only solution is to stop the playback and hit play again. It will lose the position, forcing a lot of manual re-positioning. This is frustrating enough to make me give it up.
  • It's a solid player, and would be perfect if those bugs were fixed (I'll report them to the author).

MX Player (external)
  • Very complete player. Plays basically anything without transcoding or remuxing.
  • Lots of features. In fact it has so many features it becomes confusing.
  • Problem: Codec issues. I had to download EAC3 codecs from some questionable sites to make it work.
  • Problem: It appears that the player was purchased by another company and now there's a "frozen" version kept by volunteers and an "official" version? This is not ideal.
  • Problem: Despite all the options, basic things are sometimes hard to do (like turning subtitles on/off or selecting the language).

I also heard of using Kodi as a player for videos, but I haven't investigated into that.

Currently, I use MX Player since it's the only one that doesn't stutter or does weird things to subtitles in any form. It's a bit quirky and its history makes me hope it won't one day suddenly disappear from the Play Store (and my device).

So that's it. What are you folks using as a player? I really would like something that would work in an easy and integrated way, without hiccups. Basically something anyone can come and just press play to watch movies and series.

Best,
B

RE: Is there an Android TV player that just works? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-07

AFAIK, there is no "perfect" player for Android TV.

Regarding setting the max bit rate to 120Mbps. There is a system wide setting to always use 120Mbps. On the Jellyfin for Android TV home screen, click on the gear in the top right, click Playback. Set the max bit rate there to 120Mbps and it will be permanent.

I have a Chromecast with Google TV 4K and I do not have the issue you described with exo player and subtitle desync. Try installing the "Subtitle Extract" plugin and pre-extract all your subtitles. I'm wondering if your server is struggling to extract them on the fly.

RE: Is there an Android TV player that just works? - qwerty12 - 2024-03-07

(2024-03-06, 10:32 PM)baratazana Wrote: Exoplayer
  • Problem: Subtitles Constantly delayed by 1s or so. No place to adjust timing in the player.
  • Problem: Seeking forward or backwards causes the subtitles to get really out of sync. I read a plausible explanation online about how remuxing would always cause this, but sometimes it works. This is related to the fact that Exoplayer does not support MKV containers directly.

More or less known. Look at this and this.

Quote:Currently, I use MX Player since it's the only one that doesn't stutter or does weird things to subtitles in any form. It's a bit quirky and its history makes me hope it won't one day suddenly disappear from the Play Store (and my device).

If you want to try another external player, Just (Video) Player is pretty light, free, open-source, ExoPlayer-based, supports a ton of formats and is in the Play Store. I can't remember what its subtitle-via-Jellyfin support is like (if I were to guess, I would say non-existent), but the ultimate reason I don't use any external player is because, understandably, they're not aware of Jellyfin and they can't report playback progress back to your JF server.

Quote:I also heard of using Kodi as a player for videos, but I haven't investigated into that.

So that's it. What are you folks using as a player? I really would like something that would work in an easy and integrated way, without hiccups. Basically something anyone can come and just press play to watch movies and series.

Kodi is the only application I keep on my Google TV box to play stuff from Jellyfin. When it comes to playback, I am completely satisfied with it. I don't play 4K content, so I can't speak to that, but I have had no problems playing back 1080p AV1, H.264 and H.265 video with E-AC-3, and AAC and AC3 audio on my onn. box (2023). Subtitles display perfectly fine, no problems whatsoever (SubRip; I don't watch anime so I don't have anything with ASS subtitles, and no rips of anything with bitmap-based subtitles). Even the little things, like being able to use your own fonts for SubRip/non-ASS subtitles, and the support for having data shunted over SMB (with the Jellyfin for Kodi plugin) are plusses for me.

When it comes to choosing what you want to watch, I do find it slightly clunky there (custom skins are a rabbit hole I don't wish to go down) - the official Android TV app looks much cleaner and better organised to me. Getting Kodi working the way I wanted it to was a little time-consuming as someone new to it.

The third-party, mpv-based Android Jellyfin client, Findroid, added an Android TV-specific interface, which looks great. It wasn't ready to use on Android TV when I tried it a few months ago (and, in all fairness, it wasn't described as being so) but I'm kinda looking in that direction for something that "just works" in the future.

RE: Is there an Android TV player that just works? - abpjf - 2024-03-08

I offload all playback ("Play With" / "Play Using" - I don't recall off the top of my head) to an external player. Generally either VLC or MVP. Haven't run into anything that won't play properly (subs, codecs, etc).

RE: Is there an Android TV player that just works? - baratazana - 2024-03-19

Quote:More or less known. Look at this and this.

Oh noes and it appears that some kind soul even went as far as producing a PR, but it eventually got abandoned Slightly-frowning-face

Quote:If you want to try another external player, Just (Video) Player is pretty light, free, open-source, ExoPlayer-based, supports a ton of formats and is in the Play Store. I can't remember what its subtitle-via-Jellyfin support is like (if I were to guess, I would say non-existent), but the ultimate reason I don't use any external player is because, understandably, they're not aware of Jellyfin and they can't report playback progress back to your JF server.

Wow, that's a nice tip, thanks! I'll try it right now!

Yeah this is the problem with the external players. Fortunately, I rarely watch something "halfway" and then go back into it. It's somewhat annoying that many times the "watched" reporting is incorrect too, causing confusion.

Quote:Kodi is the only application I keep on my Google TV box to play stuff from Jellyfin. When it comes to playback, I am completely satisfied with it. I don't play 4K content, so I can't speak to that, but I have had no problems playing back 1080p AV1, H.264 and H.265 video with E-AC-3, and AAC and AC3 audio on my onn. box (2023). Subtitles display perfectly fine, no problems whatsoever (SubRip; I don't watch anime so I don't have anything with ASS subtitles, and no rips of anything with bitmap-based subtitles). Even the little things, like being able to use your own fonts for SubRip/non-ASS subtitles, and the support for having data shunted over SMB (with the Jellyfin for Kodi plugin) are plusses for me.

When it comes to choosing what you want to watch, I do find it slightly clunky there (custom skins are a rabbit hole I don't wish to go down)  - the official Android TV app looks much cleaner and better organised to me. Getting Kodi working the way I wanted it to was a little time-consuming as someone new to it.

I used a kodi server on a RPi for quite some time in the past. I have to confess however, that I don't understand how Kodi fits in with a Jellyfin player. So at that point I'm supposing you don't use the JF app, but the Kodi app that via some plugin can talk to the JF server. Is that correct?

Quote:The third-party, mpv-based Android Jellyfin client, Findroid, added an Android TV-specific interface, which looks great. It wasn't ready to use on Android TV when I tried it a few months ago (and, in all fairness, it wasn't described as being so) but I'm kinda looking in that direction for something that "just works" in the future.

Another one I'll keep an eye on, thanks!

l also tried the VLC app in the past, but it had absolutely terrible performance. I was very surprised as it works so well on the PC.

- Thanks!

(2024-03-08, 06:27 PM)abpjf Wrote: I offload all playback ("Play With" / "Play Using" - I don't recall off the top of my head) to an external player. Generally either VLC or MVP. Haven't run into anything that won't play properly (subs, codecs, etc).

Yes, I've been offloading to MX player. I've tried VLC and it just can't play anything right. Lots of stuttering. The LibVLC option is better but has the "micro stutter" subtitle issues identified above. The tricky part is that it does not happen with all movies, only some, but when it does, it's extremely annoying.

I didn't know MVP. Will test!

- Thanks

RE: Is there an Android TV player that just works? - qwerty12 - 2024-03-21

(2024-03-19, 03:36 AM)baratazana Wrote: I used a kodi server on a RPi for quite some time in the past. I have to confess however, that I don't understand how Kodi fits in with a Jellyfin player. So at that point I'm supposing you don't use the JF app, but the Kodi app that via some plugin can talk to the JF server. Is that correct?

Yes, you would be correct. I use Jellyfin for Kodi. The Jellyfin documentation explains it better than I could.

Hopefully you find (or have found) something that works for you!

RE: Is there an Android TV player that just works? - mikeporterinmd - 2024-04-01

The Just (Video) Player worked well. Most particularly, it did proper DTS-HD MA playback. It does support subtitles. I didn't notice and sync issues with subtitles, either. Just (Video) Player is using Media3, also.

Mike

RE: Is there an Android TV player that just works? - baratazana - 2024-04-30

Update: I installed Kodi and the Kodi Jellyfin add-on. After I understood that I also need to install a server plugin, things work mostly OK Smiling-face

I've noticed however that playback on Kodi (on some movies) can be a bit choppy. It's very minor, mostly on pan scenes, but it's definitely there. I don't remember this happening with MX player...

I'll keep investigating to see if there's a way around this.

RE: Is there an Android TV player that just works? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-01

The choppy-ness may be due to different refresh rates on the monitor and video. Some players scale the refresh rate during playback, some change the refresh rate of the monitor to match the video. Check if Kodi has refresh rate scaling settings.