Jellyfin Forum
Philips POS559002 and HDR - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Philips POS559002 and HDR (/t-philips-pos559002-and-hdr)

Philips POS559002 and HDR - Asterixx - 2024-03-10

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for any help.

I am having issues to properly setup the configuration I have and mostly the DLNA transcoding.

Main goal is to get the best picture quality to the TV (4k HDR).

The setup:
  • Windows 10 PC: Ryzen 5800x3D, 4070 TI
  • Latest version of Jellyfin Server
  • Philips POS559002 wired connection to the home network (1Gbps, but the LAN port of the TV seems to link on 100 Mbps).
  • Latest version of Jellyfin android TV app - playing with libVLC

I found that the TV is recognized, but it is using the default preset and most of the HDR things are not running in HDR at all.
So I took one of the 'LG Smart TV.xml' presets from (C:\ProgramData\Jellyfin\Server\config\dlna\system), made a copy and renamed to 'Philips.xml'. That had some good results, so I started to edit.

The struggle is that the above-mentioned Philips POS559002 TV is kind of stupid... Even using a USB drive I cannot run some of the HDR films. I guess it has some very limited codecs or hardware (P5 Perfect Picture Engine) capabilities with the default TV player.

So, currently, the full 'Philips.xml' is attached

Here is the Direct play part:
---
  <DirectPlayProfiles>

<DirectPlayProfile container="ts,mpegts,avi,mkv,m2ts,mp4" audioCodec="aac,ac3,eac3,mp4,mp3,wma,wav" videoCodec="HEVC,h265,h264" type="Video" />
    <DirectPlayProfile container="mp4,m4v" audioCodec="aac,ac3,eac3,mp4,mp3,wma,wav" videoCodec="h264,mpeg4" type="Video" />
    <DirectPlayProfile container="mp3" type="Audio" />
    <DirectPlayProfile container="jpeg" type="Photo" />
  </DirectPlayProfiles>
---

I found that in most cases it cannot run the TrueHD Audio, so I have to fast switch to another audio track or the player freezes and after a while just dies.
For example in: Murder.on.the.Orient.Express.2017.2160p.UHD.BluRay.REMUX.HDR.HEVC.Atmos

Also, some films are running kind of smoothly (surprisingly): Johnny.English.Strikes.Again.2018.UHD.BluRay.2160p.HEVC.DTS-HD.MA.7.1.REMUX-HDRemuX

Some are not starting in HDR at all:
1080p AMZN WEB-DL x265 HEVC 10bit EAC3 5.1
Season.1-8.1080p.BluRay.x265.HEVC.10bit.AAC-SET

My question is how to make the proper setup in the 'Philips.xml', according to the specifications of the TV and the supported codecs, so it can use the direct profiles and to transcode only the files it cannot play.
And eventually resolve the HDR issues with some of the files.

RE: Philips POS559002 and HDR - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-10

Doesn't that TV run Android TV? Why not install our Android TV app?

RE: Philips POS559002 and HDR - Asterixx - 2024-03-10

It is running Android TV.

The setup:
Windows 10 PC: Ryzen 5800x3D, 4070 TI
Latest version of Jellyfin Server
Philips POS559002 wired connection to the home network (1Gbps, but the LAN port of the TV seems to link on 100 Mbps).
Latest version of Jellyfin android TV app - playing with libVLC

If you are using our Android TV app, fiddling with the DLNA profile won't change anything since our Android TV app is a native client and not a DLNA client. Try switching to exoplayer instead of libVLC. I had a similar problem with libVLC just completely locking up my CCwGTV when attempting to direct stream HDR content.

What are your server specs since it may try to tone map the HDR content depending on what kind of HDR it is.

RE: Philips POS559002 and HDR - Asterixx - 2024-03-10

Let's get the example with: Johnny.English.Strikes.Again.2018.UHD.BluRay.2160p.HEVC.DTS-HD.MA.7.1.REMUX-HDRemuX
  • ExoPlayer doesn't play sound and every 5-10 sec skips forward...
  • The same played with libVLC is fine. There is sound and the video plays smoothly in HDR.

I see it, when the TV switches to HDR mode, as there is a bubble on the TV, that indicates that.

My guess is that the ExoPlayer uses the TV hardware much more and that's why it sucks, as the hardware sucks.

Interestingly enough, I've never had any issues with he HDR content in Netflix...

It depends on the profile of HDR. Netflix is likely using DV profile 5, which is more compatible with mobile SOCs (which most/all TVs also use). Your Jellyfin HDR content is likely in DV 7.6 or 8.1, maybe HDR10. AFAIK, Exoplayer will only use hardware acceleration to playback content. libVLC will attempt to use the SOCs CPU to playback content with mixed results.