Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Video "split" on android TV - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Video "split" on android TV (/t-solved-video-split-on-android-tv)

Video "split" on android TV - Lance - 2024-03-10

Hello,

i just got a Fire Stick 4k Max (or whatever exactly its called), installed Jellyfin for Android but i encounter a problem. Some videos are "split", like the video is moved to far to the left and comes back from the right side. Best look at the pictures provided to understand what i mean.

But it doesnt happen with all movies. Some play fine, some are wraped around like in the pictures. The files i check have all been 4k HDR HEVC. I noticed the cut is always at the same point. It doesnt change when i change the quality until i reach around 30Mbps (i assume that could be 1080p?) at which it becomes normal again (albeit with bad quality, because 1080p). Its also the same across different movies.

I tried the two different players which come with jellyfin for android as well as VLC, it was the same for everyone. Not really sure where i should look. Files should all direct play because of the fire stick, but transcoding is properly set up and working. At least the file was direct playing when i checked for one movie (the one in the pictures) (took a look at the logs, its also direct playing 

"[2024-03-10 21:33:38.849 +01:00] [INF] [55] Jellyfin.Api.Helpers.MediaInfoHelper: User policy for "Michael". EnablePlaybackRemuxing: True EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: True EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True
[2024-03-10 21:33:38.849 +01:00] [INF] [55] Jellyfin.Api.Helpers.MediaInfoHelper: StreamBuilder.BuildVideoItem( Profile="AndroidTV-External", Path="/data/media/movies/Tetris (2023) [imdbid-tt12758060]/Tetris (2023) [imdbid-tt12758060] - [German DL][WEBDL-2160p][DV HDR10Plus][EAC3 Atmos 5.1][HEVC]-NIMA4K.mkv", AudioStreamIndex=null, SubtitleStreamIndex=null ) => ( PlayMethod=DirectPlay, TranscodeReason=0 ) "mediaConfused-facevideos/34a5d0f9-53a3-5793-a080-d44e113dacd7/stream.mkv?MediaSourceId=34a5d0f953a35793a080d44e113dacd7&Static=true&VideoCodec=hevc&AudioCodec=eac3&AudioStreamIndex=1&SubtitleStreamIndex=3&api_key=<token>&SubtitleMethod=Embed&Tag=07339e68417ad5a7f3fd0b05777b42f5"
[2024-03-10 21:34:32.481 +01:00] [INF] [72] Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app "Android TV" "0.16.6" playing "Tetris". Stopped at "0" ms
[2024-03-10 21:50:54.112 +01:00] [INF] [53] Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.WebSocketManager: WS "192.168.178.103" request"
)

Any hints on what i can check are appreciated.

RE: Video "split" on android TV - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-10

I had to find a prior thread on this problem. Appears to be a known issue on Fire TV devices when the video has a non-standard resolution.

https://forum.jellyfin.org/t-solved-weird-rendering-issue

RE: Video "split" on android TV - Lance - 2024-03-11

I previously skimmed over the other replay, should have maybe took a better look at it, especially the linked amazon discussion as that clearly shows the same problem i have.

Ok, so it seems that this is not a problem of jellyfin for android but from teh fire tv stick. I guess i can close this post now.

Or maybe sneak in a second question. I read on another post also from you i think that the bandwidth detection is not really good. That explains why jellyfin always transcodes down to a really low resolution and my only solution is to chose the 120 mbps option in the menu. Correct? Out of curiosity, would that be a android problem or a jellyfin for android problem?

Thank you

RE: Video "split" on android TV - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-11

I think that is a Jellyfin for Android problem.

RE: Video "split" on android TV - Lance - 2024-03-11

Addition: I just chatted with a amazon customer service guy and basically said that thats a third party app issue and they cant help with that. He can forward it to the technical division but i doubt there is anything fruitfull coming out of it. I also doubt that its a third party app issue as its not only jellyfin, but also VLC player and i am not the only one with this problem, like we have seen in the other post.

I guess i finish watching all movies which height is divisably by 16 and then maybe get the chromecast or build myself a kodibox. Depends on my motivation then.

(2024-03-11, 05:00 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: I think that is a Jellyfin for Android problem.

Ah, ok. Well, maybe we get a improvement for this one day, but honestly thats not a big problem and i can life with (compared to the fire stick problem which tears my movie into two)