Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Transcoding formats that are supported (H265) - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Transcoding formats that are supported (H265) (/t-solved-transcoding-formats-that-are-supported-h265)

Transcoding formats that are supported (H265) - Ferrumenti - 2024-03-12

I have a problem with transcoding on a Jellyfin server when hardware acceleration is enabled. The format supported on the TV (btw XBOX SX (Jellyfin oficial app from the store) is the machine used for streaming on the tv) gives me a message that the client doesn't support the format, and the same thing happens on the computer. When I disable hardware acceleration, the TV plays the format without any issues through direct play without transcoding. It also works on the computer, but it uses the CPU for transcoding H.265 to H.264. On my computer, I have a Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX 970. Is it possible to have transcoding enabled but for the server to always use direct play if possible?

RE: Transcoding formats that are supported (H265) - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-13

What OS is your server running? What codec check boxes do you have checked in the Transcode settings on the server?

RE: Transcoding formats that are supported (H265) - Revv23 - 2024-03-13

On your PC I assume you are using web to play and not jellyfin media player?

Its transcoding because browser doesnt do x265.

RE: Transcoding formats that are supported (H265) - Ferrumenti - 2024-03-13

(2024-03-12, 10:03 AM)Ferrumenti Wrote: I have a problem with transcoding on a Jellyfin server when hardware acceleration is enabled. The format supported on the TV (btw XBOX SX (Jellyfin oficial app from the store) is the machine used for streaming on the tv) gives me a message that the client doesn't support the format, and the same thing happens on the computer. When I disable hardware acceleration, the TV plays the format without any issues through direct play without transcoding. It also works on the computer, but it uses the CPU for transcoding H.265 to H.264. On my computer, I have a Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX 970. Is it possible to have transcoding enabled but for the server to always use direct play if possible?
OS is Win 10, and these are the options checked. I am assuming that GTX 970 doesn't support H265 encoding, but I am not getting how to set it to transcode only if it is necessary using.

RE: Transcoding formats that are supported (H265) - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-13

The client automatically determines when transcoding is needed. The codec check boxes in the daskboard tell Jellyfin which codecs your GPU can DECODE. If you uncheck them that doesn't mean that you won't be able to play them. Just that the CPU will decode them instead of the GPU.

For the 970 only MPEG2, VC1, VP8, and H264 should be checked.

(2024-03-13, 02:40 AM)Revv23 Wrote: On your PC I assume you are using web to play and not jellyfin media player?

Its transcoding because browser doesnt do x265.

Yes, you are assuming right, but I am not using the PC to watch the media anyway so it's not an issue. I just don't get it why the TV needs to transcode format that its actually supported for direct play when hardware acceleration is on. When it's not on everything works just fine. Sorry but I am newbie in the world of media streaming, but I like this app a lot and I want to set it properly. Thanks for the help!

(2024-03-13, 08:14 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: The client automatically determines when transcoding is needed.  The codec check boxes in the daskboard tell Jellyfin which codecs your GPU can DECODE.  If you uncheck them that doesn't mean that you won't be able to play them.  Just that the CPU will decode them instead of the GPU.

For the 970 only MPEG2, VC1, VP8, and H264 should be checked.

Yap, now its working how it should! Thank you