Jellyfin Forum
set language per show? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: set language per show? (/t-set-language-per-show)

set language per show? - Iacov - 2024-03-12

hey

i'm not sure if it fits here or under troubhleshooting - or if there is an obvious setting i was just too blind to find

most of my transcoded files have german set as primary/first audio track - which was no issue back in the days, as i could fine-tune the languages set by default in plex
but i can't seem to find a similar setting (to set a specific/preferred langauge for a show) in jellyfin

actual usecase:
my kids have to watch some shows in english - and i would like to set the language specifically for this show, either by server-wide default or per user
manual switching per episode has become quite laborious
for my own user, it's a non issue, as i set the default language for my profile to english and call it a day

is there some setting for jellyfin that could fit the description?

RE: set language per show? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-13

In my experience, Jellyfin selecting a "preferred" language is hit or miss. I'm not sure there is a way to make Jellyfin consistently do this.

RE: set language per show? - Iacov - 2024-03-13

thanks

too bad - follow up, though not jellyfin related...is there an easy way to change the default audio-track of an mkv's tracks?
or is there a plugin that could help selecting a preferred language?

RE: set language per show? - Emailluka - 2024-03-13

Sadly currently you cannot even filter per language.
I guess theres already a problem with recognizing what kind of languages are available (as audiotracks in files)
I proposed that feature already but theres not much response to it Confused-face

For your second question -> mkvtoolnix/JMkvpropedit
This tool can do most things possible with mkvs. Have not tried to change audiotrack-positions, but maybe you dont even need to recompile it.
You just need to do this on a file to file basis.

But you can try a workaround for your usecase - even tough it means alot of work and space on your drives.
Make copies of your mkvs, delete the 'other' audiotracks and rename them to yourfile - ger.mkv, yourfile - eng.mkv,....
That way you can 'select' the audio directly.
Or alternatively just make a whole new folder and give your kids just access to that Smiling-face

Viel Erfolg Smiling-face

RE: set language per show? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-13

(2024-03-13, 08:26 AM)Iacov Wrote: thanks

too bad - follow up, though not jellyfin related...is there an easy way to change the default audio-track of an mkv's tracks?
or is there a plugin that could help selecting a preferred language?

You can use MKVToolNix or ffmpeg to change the default audio track.  In most clients, this should result in that track being selected when you initiate playback.