Jellyfin Forum
Embedded subtitles - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: Embedded subtitles (/t-embedded-subtitles)

Pages: 1 2

Embedded subtitles - francesco d'amato - 2023-07-28

Hi guys
help me I am going crazy.
I had specially chosen files because they integrate subtitles, but I just don't understand why Jelly doesn't want to see them. I am trying everything.

What settings does it have to have in order to read the subtitles embedded in the file? I don't even have the icon that allows me to see them when playing the file. Confounded-face

RE: Embedded subtitles - TheDreadPirate - 2023-07-28

Settings > Dashboard > Playback

Scroll to the bottom. Is "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" enabled or disabled?

RE: Embedded subtitles - francesco d'amato - 2023-07-31

(2023-07-28, 03:40 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Settings > Dashboard > Playback

Scroll to the bottom.  Is "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" enabled or disabled?

Hey Thank you for you reply.

is enabled.
I checked all the settings over and over again and deleted and reconfigured the library several times

RE: Embedded subtitles - bitmap - 2023-08-03

Any additional info on your media file (mediainfo or ffprobe output) would be useful. You can also examine with something like mkvtoolnix to see what's going on, but that might be like using a jackhammer for a finishing nail.

RE: Embedded subtitles - francesco d'amato - 2023-08-28

(2023-08-03, 02:21 AM)bitmap Wrote: Any additional info on your media file (mediainfo or ffprobe output) would be useful. You can also examine with something like mkvtoolnix to see what's going on, but that might be like using a jackhammer for a finishing nail.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay, I don't know if these screens will help but I'm noticing that no subtitles included in my mkv files are loading.
At this point I think I understand that this is a Jellyfin configuration issue.

RE: Embedded subtitles - bitmap - 2023-08-28

The first file is SRT subs. It might take a few seconds (my rig is fast and it can take 15 seconds to extract on the fly) for subs to start, but those should work 100% of the time.

The second file is PGS subs, which will generally require transcoding to burn them into the video file (if the subtitle stream you highlighted is what you're using). That's not always the case, but is true for most common clients (Kodi handles them different, VLC may handle them different, Shield can supposedly display them without burn in).

These are both common types of subtitles and should be detected by Jellyfin as well as pretty much any client. Could you share what Jellyfin server version you're running, a little bit of info about the hardware, and what client you're using to watch the media?

RE: Sottotitoli incorporati - francesco d'amato - 2023-08-29

(2023-08-28, 11:32 PM)bitmap Wrote: The first file is SRT subs. It might take a few seconds (my rig is fast and it can take 15 seconds to extract on the fly) for subs to start, but those should work 100% of the time.

The second file is PGS subs, which will generally require transcoding to burn them into the video file (if the subtitle stream you highlighted is what you're using). That's not always the case, but is true for most common clients (Kodi handles them different, VLC may handle them different, Shield can supposedly display them without burn in).

These are both common types of subtitles and should be detected by Jellyfin as well as pretty much any client. Could you share what Jellyfin server version you're running, a little bit of info about the hardware, and what client you're using to watch the media?

ok buddy, thanks. So in the case of srt files it should load them after a few seconds but this still doesn't happen (I started playing while I was writing, paused it and even waited 5 minutes).

Jellyfin is hosted on a NAS, the version is 10.8.10-10
Normally to play I use an amazon firetv that takes Jellyfin's default media player "LibVLC". Even when I play the movie directly from the web browser it doesn't load the subtitles.
The Nas has 16 Gb of Ram, a 1 Gb/s network and an INTEL Celeron 1.5 GHz processor

I'll leave you the configuration screens, surely there's something wrong but I don't understand what.

RE: Embedded subtitles - bitmap - 2023-08-29

We're at everybody's least favorite part of troubleshooting. Could you recreate the issue and post your logs from that point on to pastebin or a similar service? The raw log can be found pretty easily in Dashboard > Logs. There are two types, one will be the Jellyfin log, the other (with ffmpeg in the name) is the transcoding log. They should be date/timestamped to give you an idea of when they're from.

RE: Embedded subtitles - francesco d'amato - 2023-09-11

(2023-08-29, 02:44 PM)bitmap Wrote: We're at everybody's least favorite part of troubleshooting. Could you recreate the issue and post your logs from that point on to pastebin or a similar service? The raw log can be found pretty easily in Dashboard > Logs. There are two types, one will be the Jellyfin log, the other (with ffmpeg in the name) is the transcoding log. They should be date/timestamped to give you an idea of when they're from.

Hi buddies

I razed jellyfin server, uninstalled and installed again, did the settings very carefully and only fed it a TV series to see what happened.
Absolutely nothing. The embedded subtitles just don't want to see them.

I'm about to give up, I think I'll go to another media server.
This is the last attempt. I am attaching the metadata blogs, I don't know if you guys can figure anything out.

RE: Embedded subtitles - TheDreadPirate - 2023-09-11

You said you are using 10.8.10, but the version of ffmpeg in that log doesn't match. Should be 5.1.3. Did you install a different ffmpeg? Or was that part of whatever image you are using? Is your NAS running TrueNAS Core?

Also, we would need to see the main jellyfin log. What is attached in your last post is just the ffmpeg log.