Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Migrating back to old Laptop - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Migrating back to old Laptop (/t-solved-migrating-back-to-old-laptop)

Pages: 1 2

Migrating back to old Laptop - Trey1287 - 2024-03-18

I'm fairly new to Jellyfin and I recently got a new Macbook. I've been running Jellyfin on my new computer but I want to go back to using my old laptop as my dedicated server. I've been searching for the solution to this but I cannot figure out how to migrate back to my old machine.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Jellyfin on the old laptop, but I still get an invalid password error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

RE: Migrating back to old Laptop - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-18

Are you trying to migrate the jellyfin data from the new laptop to the old laptop? Or just using a fresh install on the old laptop?

RE: Migrating back to old Laptop - Trey1287 - 2024-03-18

I'm open to either honestly. I want to go back to using the old laptop as my primary server. Again, I'm a fairly new user but I don't see a way to change my server option on either computer. When I reinstall Jellyfin on the old laptop, it just brings me to the sign in page. I'm able to sign in when I go to localhost:8096 but that's just signing in to the new computer's server.

I can supply logs from either computer, but I haven't been able to find a solution so far. Thanks for the reply!

Reinstall on the old laptop. From your new laptop I'm assuming you tried using your old laptop's IP and it brings you to a prompt to login. If so, clear your browser cache.

I've had no problems running the server or logging in on the new laptop using the new laptops IP. I cleared the old laptop's browser cache and tried connecting to old IP:8096 and it still brings me to the login page where my credentials are invalid.

When I installed on my new laptop, everything worked right away. I suspect one of the issues could be that the two laptop's share similar names (Macbook and Macbook-2) and that the old laptop is trying to connect to the new laptops server. I've uninstalled Jellyfin completely on the new laptop and am still not able to make any progress on getting the old laptop's server up and running.

Is it possible that the old laptop is using your prior Jellyfin configs? I'm not sure if those get cleared out if you uninstall.

Try re-enabling the startup wizard to reset the admin credentials?

Stop Jellyfin, find system.xml and set "IsStartupWizardComplete" to false, start Jellyfin.

Yes I believe the old laptop using prior configs is the root of the issue. I only see system.xml.dll , which I can't open on my Macbook. Is there another way or a command prompt to get to the startup wizard?

I honestly wouldn't be opposed to just starting from scratch at this point, but I can't seem to get my old computer to act as the new server. It just tried to get me to sign into the new server.

Thanks again!

What OS is your old laptop running?

RE: Migrating back to old Laptop - Trey1287 - 2024-03-19

MacOS Big Sur 11.7.10

RE: Migrating back to old Laptop - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-19

Our docs say that the configs are in ~/.config/jellyfin/ and ~/.local/share/jellyfin/. If you are ok with starting over, rename or delete those folders.