Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Migrate Jellyfish from bare metal linux to an lXC container - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Migrate Jellyfish from bare metal linux to an lXC container (/t-solved-migrate-jellyfish-from-bare-metal-linux-to-an-lxc-container)

Pages: 1 2

Migrate Jellyfish from bare metal linux to an lXC container - B B - 2024-03-18

Hello,

Please let me know if this is posted in the wrong place, as I am new.

I wanted to transfer my Jellyfin installation from an old laptop that is running a bare-metal Ubuntu server to my new home lab server running ProxMox. I read on the subject as much as I could before starting and finally decided to follow the tips from this thread: https://forum.jellyfin.org/t-transferring-jellyfin-data-from-linux-to-linux. I copied the /etc/jellyfin and /var/lib/jellyfin directories from my old computer and put them on a USB flash drive. I then installed Jellyfin for Debian on a LXC container on my ProxMox server and stopped the process using "systemctl stop jellyfin" as instructed. I then copied the two directories onto the new Jellyfin installation, but I cannot connect to Jellyfin's Web UI. Some interesting things that might help narrow down the issue are: re: After Jellyfin is installed, I get the setup page without any issues, but it seems to break after I stop it and overwrite the /etc and /var/lib folders (and then run the service again). I might be mistaken here, but I also believe that installing jellyfin on the LXC container does not create the /etc and /var/lib directories at all, which makes me wonder if those files are stored somewhere else for some reason nowadays and I am breaking the system by putting them there. I can double check whether the directories are created in a new LXC container if you need me to.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also changed the owner of both directories after copying them to the new computer.

RE: Migrate Jellyfish from bare metal linux to an lXC container - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-18

That forum post is for a bare metal linux to bare metal linux migration. Since this is a completely different install type, I'm not sure how much that post will apply here.

How did you install Jellyfin in proxmox? Using the tteck install script? I'm going to assume yes for now.

https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox

I've never used Proxmox or LXCs, but based on tteck's Jellyfin install script it is just installing Jellyfin in the same manor as it would a bare metal debuntu system. But in a LXC. Simply copying /etc/jellyfin and /var/lib/jellyfin and putting them in the same path on the HOST system is not going to work. You would need to put them wherever Proxmox is putting the Jellyfin LXC's storage.

Again, I have no idea where that is or even if it would work at all.

RE: Migrate Jellyfish from bare metal linux to an lXC container - B B - 2024-03-18

(2024-03-18, 11:15 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: That forum post is for a bare metal linux to bare metal linux migration.  Since this is a completely different install type, I'm not sure how much that post will apply here.

How did you install Jellyfin in proxmox?  Using the tteck install script?  I'm going to assume yes for now.

https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox

I've never used Proxmox or LXCs, but based on tteck's Jellyfin install script it is just installing Jellyfin in the same manor as it would a bare metal debuntu system.  But in a LXC.  Simply copying /etc/jellyfin and /var/lib/jellyfin and putting them in the same path on the HOST system is not going to work.  You would need to put them wherever Proxmox is putting the Jellyfin LXC's storage.

Again, I have no idea where that is or even if it would work at all.

Yes, I installed it using the Debuntu script, after also installing sudo and curl, which the Debian LXC container apparently does not come with. The files that I am overwriting are on the LXC container and not the host and yes, the folders are created during the installation(I just checked on a new container), so I was mistaken. As far as I could tell people are saying that Jellyfin runs without any issues on an LXC Container as long as you pass through the GPU, but none of them seem to have tried to transfer a previous installation, which means I have nowhere to read about this specific scenario.

RE: Migrate Jellyfish from bare metal linux to an lXC container - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-18

So you have Proxmox. Then you have a Debian LXC that you installed Jellyfin to with the debuntu install script? Within this Debian LXC you copied and pasted /var/lib/jellyfin and /etc/jellyfin?

RE: Migrate Jellyfish from bare metal linux to an lXC container - B B - 2024-03-18

(2024-03-18, 11:33 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: So you have Proxmox.  Then you have a Debian LXC that you installed Jellyfin to with the debuntu install script?  Within this Debian LXC you copied and pasted /var/lib/jellyfin and /etc/jellyfin?

Yes.

(2024-03-18, 11:33 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: So you have Proxmox.  Then you have a Debian LXC that you installed Jellyfin to with the debuntu install script?  Within this Debian LXC you copied and pasted /var/lib/jellyfin and /etc/jellyfin?

As I mentioned in my first post, the Jellyfin Web UI works after the installation(before I overwrite the two directories) and gives me the setup screen, so I believe that my issue might be coming from the two directories themselves(corrupted maybe?).

Is there a file or place in either of them that you could hint me towards or have me check? I tried checking the files on there for anything that stood out to me, but I would be lying if I said I understood everything I saw.

Pretty sure this will behave the same as a bare metal install from a Jellyfin data perspective. Just make sure that the file ownership is correct?

Can you share your jellyfin logs via sourcebin? /var/log/jellyfin

RE: Migrate Jellyfish from bare metal linux to an lXC container - B B - 2024-03-19

(2024-03-18, 11:49 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Pretty sure this will behave the same as a bare metal install from a Jellyfin data perspective.  Just make sure that the file ownership is correct?

Can you share your jellyfin logs via sourcebin?  /var/log/jellyfin

I have never used sourcebin, so hopefully pasting the log file on here will still work. At least it's not too big.

Edit: I figured out what SourceBin is and have it here: https://srcb.in/n77y4IHMxa

RE: Migrate Jellyfish from bare metal linux to an lXC container - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-19

When you made a copy of /var/lib/jellyfin and /etc/jellyfin, did you recursively copy those directories? It sounds like the copy you made is incomplete or the new install doesn't have permissions to read the files maybe? These logs are those of a first time install.

Try re-copying the copy you made and then "chown -R jellyfin: /var/lib/jellyfin /etc/jellyfin".

RE: Migrate Jellyfish from bare metal linux to an lXC container - B B - 2024-03-19

(2024-03-19, 12:15 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: When you made a copy of /var/lib/jellyfin and /etc/jellyfin, did you recursively copy those directories?  It sounds like the copy you made is incomplete or the new install doesn't have permissions to read the files maybe?  These logs are those of a first time install.

Try re-copying the copy you made and then "chown -R jellyfin: /var/lib/jellyfin /etc/jellyfin".

Yes, I made sure to recurse every command(cp, chown, chgrp) and I actually went back and did it a second time. Something that I noticed the second time around is that it did not copy one of the "People" in /var/lib/jellyfin/metadata/People, because of quotation marks in the name, but I would figure that missing the metadata for one person shouldn't break the whole service. Then again, it might, I don't know.