Jellyfin Forum
How to (force) recreate chapter images for specific movie/show/season? - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: General Questions (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-general-questions)
+--- Thread: How to (force) recreate chapter images for specific movie/show/season? (/t-how-to-force-recreate-chapter-images-for-specific-movie-show-season)

How to (force) recreate chapter images for specific movie/show/season? - Iacov - 2024-03-20

hey

i have found some of my shows being in a wrong order (some by me naming them in the wrong order, some having differences between aired and dvd order)
now that i have fixed it, i would like to get the chapter images in order, too

are chapter images being recreated automatically on the next scheduled task?
or do i have to force it? (if so, how?
can i force the recreation for one item (be it one movie, one show or one season) manually?

i have currently activated "exctract chapter images" only, "extraction on library scan" is off

thank you in advance Smiling-face

RE: How to (force) recreate chapter images for specific movie/show/season? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-20

I think you have to rescan the show and select "Replace all metadata" and check "Replace all images".

RE: How to (force) recreate chapter images for specific movie/show/season? - Iacov - 2024-03-20

(2024-03-20, 03:24 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: I think you have to rescan the show and select "Replace all metadata" and check "Replace all images".

thank you

at least immediately nothing happens - but maybe together with the nightly schedule i will have new chapter images
(currently it displays none - neither images nor chapters itself - , even though the files have chapters)

RE: How to (force) recreate chapter images for specific movie/show/season? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-20

You can manually run the chapter image extraction in the Dashboard. Dashboard > Scheduled Tasks.

RE: How to (force) recreate chapter images for specific movie/show/season? - pavichokche - 2024-05-31

Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm finding some movies, I think any movie which didn't have embedded chapters, is NOT getting chapter images extracted. The library has both chapter images options ticked, I've manually run the scheduled task, and I've tried to replace all the metadata for one of the movies and replace images. Still no chapters are generated...

RE: How to (force) recreate chapter images for specific movie/show/season? - TheDreadPirate - 2024-05-31

If you added chapters, try running the chapter image extraction job in Dashboard > Scheduled Tasks.

RE: How to (force) recreate chapter images for specific movie/show/season? - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-05-31

(2024-05-31, 03:52 AM)pavichokche Wrote: I think any movie which didn't have embedded chapters, is NOT getting chapter images extracted.
Videos with no embedded chapter files are not supposed to get chapter images extracted (because they don't exist otherwise) unless you're thinking about dummy chapters.

Dummy chapters are taken at set intervals. You need to go into the dashboard to change the dummy chapter value. A value of 0 will disable them. Any other number higher than 0 will create chapters in x intervals.

The value is set per second, so if you put 60 for the dummy chapters option, you get a chapter per minute.

RE: How to (force) recreate chapter images for specific movie/show/season? - junadlao - 2024-06-01

(2024-05-31, 11:01 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote:
(2024-05-31, 03:52 AM)pavichokche Wrote: I think any movie which didn't have embedded chapters, is NOT getting chapter images extracted.
Videos with no embedded chapter files are not supposed to get chapter images extracted (because they don't exist otherwise) unless you're thinking about dummy chapters.

Dummy chapters are taken at set intervals. You need to go into the dashboard to change the dummy chapter value. A value of 0 will disable them. Any other number higher than 0 will create chapters in x intervals.

The value is set per second, so if you put 60 for the dummy chapters option, you get a chapter per minute.

This morning I upgraded to 10.9.3 from 10.8.13 and I got a similar problem for new movies. The quoted message above is absolutely right and it was beause of dummy chapters but the problem was that for users like me who had no idea that there was a new feature for specifying a dummy chapter value -- we didn't know. The previous default value was 5 minutes for videos with no specified chapters and for my case I was accustomed to that and expected that behavior until this morning when I added a new video which didn't have dummy chapters generated.

So after a whole day's of off and on trying to debug the problem, the problem is that the new default value is zero (0) which indicates "don't make dummy chapters" whereas it should be 300 which indicates make dummy chapters as 5 minutes (300 seconds). I believe this only happens for the new server versions because as I remember from 10.8.13, it was still 5 minutes per dummy chapter.

RE: How to (force) recreate chapter images for specific movie/show/season? - pavichokche - 2024-06-03

OKAY! Thanks guys, so indeed the dummy chapters were the feature I was looking for! And yes, that's defaulted to 0 now, so setting it to 300 for 5-minute intervals is good.

HOWEVER, there is a small wrinkle - simply setting it to a non-zero value is not enough.
I need to do a 'Refresh Metadata' -> 'Search For Missing Metadata' on every item which I want dummy chapters for, and THEN run the chapter extraction task. There IS NO NEED to tick 'Replace Images', just search for missing metadata and run the task afterwards.

Fantastic, thanks so much!