Jellyfin Forum
AndroidTV App cannot resume or fast forward 4K content - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: AndroidTV App cannot resume or fast forward 4K content (/t-androidtv-app-cannot-resume-or-fast-forward-4k-content)

AndroidTV App cannot resume or fast forward 4K content - sergeantdjango - 2024-03-22

Hi jellyfin forum,

i really love the App, thank you for that at first!

I am currently running Jellyfin 10.8.13 in Docker on a Synology NAS. My Main TV is an Philips AndroidTV with the installed App from the PlayStore.
I actually just switched yesterday because of playback problems in Plex to jellyfin, but i configured everything and actually have the same problem in jellyfin now  Upside-down-face

It's only happening with 4K content, 1080p is pretty much fine. When i tested it on another TV (Samsung with no AndroidTV) everything is working as expected there, so i guess it's the AndroidTV itself. I have no idea what the problem could be, maybe someone here had a similar problem or knows what could help.
The TV itself is connected via Ethernet directly to the switch, so the connection is pretty fast. If i start a 4K movie from the beginning, everything is working like a charme with almost no loading time (maybe 0,5s to start the movie). But as soon as i fast forward or resume any 4K movie, i get i endless loading circle and nothing happens. I don't get any errors, the CPU usage of my NAS is not unexpected high, so i have no idea what the problem could be. I tried it with and without hardware encoding on the jellyfin server, but it doesn't make any difference.
What could the possible solution for that? All the 4K content is x265 mkv format.

Thank you in advance!

Regards

RE: AndroidTV App cannot resume or fast forward 4K content - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-22

It is probably trying to tone map. If you are using the official jellyfin/jellyfin docker image, Intel dropped support for the 4.4.X Linux Kernel for the version of the driver included in 10.8.13. Linux kernel 4.4.X is used on most Synology NASes.

You have a few options. Turn off tone mapping, revert to the official image for version 10.8.12, or try using the LSIO Jellyfin image and use their Intel OpenCL mod.

RE: AndroidTV App cannot resume or fast forward 4K content - sergeantdjango - 2024-03-22

Hi @TheDreadPirate,

thank you, i'll try that! I actually had 10.8.11 running before, the problem was there present as well, so i tried the upgrade to die current version.
I'll try the other docker image soon, i tried today to change from the exoplayer to the libvlc and it looks like its working for now.
I test this player for a few days and try the other image at the same time.

Regards

RE: AndroidTV App cannot resume or fast forward 4K content - sergeantdjango - 2024-03-25

Hi @TheDreadPirate,

well i cheered to early. The 4K content is playing now, but it stutters almost every 5 seconds and buffers again. Not only the video is laggy, the complete video interface is not responding.
It's the same behaviour with and without transcoding. Could there be any general issue in my network?

regards

RE: AndroidTV App cannot resume or fast forward 4K content - Serge K - 2024-03-25

Jellyfin client on Android TV has setting of speed streaming. Check it

RE: AndroidTV App cannot resume or fast forward 4K content - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-25

Which NAS do you have? It may not have the power to tone map 4K HDR content.