Jellyfin Forum
Seeking is very bad - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Seeking is very bad (/t-seeking-is-very-bad)

Seeking is very bad - Protos - 2024-03-25

I run JellyFin in a Windows VM using Hyper-V and seeking is horrendous. Is there a way to fix this without adding a GPU? If not, can I get the Intel Arc A380 and use that? Not sure if there's support for Arc yet.

RE: Seeking is very bad - Fate - 2024-03-25

Depends on why seeking is bad.

Is seeking bad on Transcoding? -> Get a GPU or use a better CPU
Is seeking bad on DirectPlay? -> slow Storage?
Is seeking bad over the Internet -> slow Upload on your Internet?

Maybe tell us about the Hardware you use.
(Also my personal preference, Windows is not great for performance on slow PCs)

PS. Intel arc is supported on Linux at least, not sure on Windows

RE: Seeking is very bad - Protos - 2024-03-25

(2024-03-25, 08:14 PM)Protos Wrote: I run JellyFin in a Windows VM using Hyper-V and seeking is horrendous. Is there a way to fix this without adding a GPU? If not, can I get the Intel Arc A380 and use that? Not sure if there's support for Arc yet.

Is seeking bad on Transcoding? -> No GPU Installed. Maybe that's why its slow.
Is seeking bad on DirectPlay? -> I am running RAID 10 with 4 Enterprise HDDs
Is seeking bad over the Internet? -> 2.5 gig networking with 2 gig coming from the ISP. Definitely not

My server is an HP ProLiant DL360 G9 running 2 Xeon E5-2697 v4 Processors (36 cores, 8 Virtual cores allocated to VM) with a total of 256 GB of RAM (16 allocated to VM)

I have no GPU installed and my Xeons have no integrated Graphics, so it would make sense if no GPU is the problem. Since I am running a 1U Server, I need to be able to use a single slot GPU. I've seen people partition their Arc GPUs in Hyper-V and game on them in a VM so I don't see why it wouldn't work...

RE: Seeking is very bad - Fate - 2024-03-25

With that kind of CPU Power should be fine without a GPU.

Can you post jellyfin logs?

Or, try seeking in the client and then screenshot task manager. Either it's somewhere bottleneck't or we are missing something obvious.

What kind of files are you playing h264/h265? mkv? very big files?

RE: Seeking is very bad - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-25

(2024-03-25, 10:27 PM)Fate Wrote: With that kind of CPU Power should be fine without a GPU.

Can you post jellyfin logs?

Or, try seeking in the client and then screenshot task manager. Either it's somewhere bottleneck't or we are missing something obvious.

What kind of files are you playing h264/h265? mkv? very big files?

8 broadwell cores isn't as powerful as you think for transcoding.  Encodes can only me split up to a certain point.  Usually around 8-12 threads and the returns on additional threads drops quickly.  So allocating more cores won't make too much of a difference.  Faster cores matters way more.  And broadwell on xeons are usually clocked slower than desktop chips.

IMO a GPU is almost a necessity, even with a modern CPU.  Having the GPU frees up the CPU to do other tasks that improve the Jellyfin UIs responsiveness.