Jellyfin Forum
Random Transcodes without playback - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Random Transcodes without playback (/t-random-transcodes-without-playback)

Random Transcodes without playback - miasinterestinglife - 2024-03-25

I'm running Jellyfin as an App on TrueNAS Scale. I just recently discovered, that the Server had a constantly unusually high CPU usage (~35%) without any obvious reason. After checking htop, I discovered that Jellyfin was transcoding a movie that I had recently imported but that was never watched/opened by any client. It is also perfectly compatible with all of my clients, so there would be no reason for it to be transcoding. Jellyfin never wrote a log about it either, so I can't really trace where those transcodes might be coming from.

Just checked if it had anything to do with chapter image extraction but after disabling it for every library, it still kept on going so that might not be it (though I could be mistaken)

RE: Random Transcodes without playback - Fate - 2024-03-25

You sure its transcoding? I would guess it's playing the files to generate Chapter images or episode preview images.

If you use top press "c" to see the full command-line that is running and post it here.

RE: Random Transcodes without playback - TheDreadPirate - 2024-03-25

The app from the TrueCharts app store, or whatever is called, has some weird behaviors that don't exist in the official docker image. So I can't provide an explanation for that behavior other than it shouldn't be happening and, AFAIK, doesn't with official releases.

Perhaps you can share your logs anyway? Post them to sourcebin or pastebin and link back here.

RE: Random Transcodes without playback - miasinterestinglife - 2024-03-25

(2024-03-25, 09:53 PM)Fate Wrote: You sure its transcoding? I would guess it's playing the files to generate Chapter images or episode preview images.

If you use top press "c" to see the full command-line that is running and post it here.

For whatever reason, JellyScrub was trying to create .bif files outside of the scheduled task and being requested by a client. After toggling it on and off it continues with the next movies anyways. I'm gonna wait if it will stop, but currently it is going through everything that hasn't been run through Jellyscrub yet.

RE: Random Transcodes without playback - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-03-26

(2024-03-25, 10:05 PM)miasinterestinglife Wrote: For whatever reason, JellyScrub was trying to create .bif files outside of the scheduled task and being requested by a client. After toggling it on and off it continues with the next movies anyways. I'm gonna wait if it will stop, but currently it is going through everything that hasn't been run through Jellyscrub yet.
Did you disable the following Jellyscrub options?:

1. Generate trickplay files on demand when a client requests one
  2. Create trickplays when videos are discovered

Number 1 will start generating a BIF file when a stream is opened by a client if the video doesn't have an existing corresponding BIF file.
Number 2 will generate BIF files for videos that don't have a BIF file each time a library scan takes place.

If you want to let it create trickplay files for all the videos in your libraries, you're just going to have to let it process all the BIF generation. Jellyscrub has the option to let you use the CPU or GPU to create the trickplay files, so if you want it to go faster, see if you can get the GPU to do the work (note that the file size per BIF file goes up and quality goes down a bit with GPU encoding the BIF files).

Depending on the total size of your library, what type of content you have in them, and how powerful your server is, Jellyscrub can take up to a few days to a week or so of 24/7 system utilization to do its job if it's starting from scratch.
Once Jellyscrub has created trickplay files for everything, subsequent runs by Jellyscrub will take way less time since it will be creating the files on the few videos that are added over time.