Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: New episode metadata - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+---- Forum: Media Scanning & Identification (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-media-scanning-identification)
+---- Thread: SOLVED: New episode metadata (/t-solved-new-episode-metadata)

Pages: 1 2

New episode metadata - Theetjuh - 2024-03-28

Hi,

I just noticed that the metadata of Shows isn’t populated for the last few new episodes.

For lets say the Bad Batch, since episode S03E04 it just shows as ‘Aflevering 4’, that’s Dutch for Episode 4 Winking-face , instead of the episode name. Also no info about the episode.

It seems to still pull metadata for new Movies, just not Shows.
Is there somewhere I can check best to see what is going wrong?

Thanks in advance!

RE: New episode metadata - bitmap - 2024-03-28

Check your metadata providers. Sometimes the source of the metadata has not been updated yet -- this is often the case with shows that are still airing. Depending on where you're pulling your metadata from, you can check at the source to see if it matches (e.g., TVDB still has this listed as Episode 4 and the preferred/enabled metadata provider is TVDB).

You can check this on a per-library basis in Dashboard > Libraries > [Library Name] and checking the episode metadata provider section.

RE: New episode metadata - Theetjuh - 2024-03-28

Ahhh there, thanks!

I’m using TheMovieDb and when I look at their website, all seems well.
So why doesn’t pull the data?

I already looked through the logs, but when an episode gets imported I don’t really see any info regarding pulling metadata.

Metadata is pulled when:

1) The content is scanned in, either through real-time monitoring or via scheduled process.
2) When you manually scan an item* using "Search for missing metadata" or "Replace all metadata" options.
3) On scheduled refresh, which is set per library as Never or 30, 60, or 90 days.

*An item can be a library, movie, show, or episode. The option to refresh metadata or scan a library both have the options described.

So likely what happened is that the episode entered your collection so quickly that TMDB was not yet updated, so it labeled it as "Episode 4". In 30-90 days (or never, depending on your library setting) the title would be updated based on your metadata provider's information at the time.

To fix this, go to the Episode page in your browser as an admin, click the kebab (three vertical dots), and click Refresh metadata. Select either "Search for missing metadata" or "Replace all metadata" from the drop-down and then click Refresh. You will likely need to refresh the page or go back Home and pull the episode up again to see any changes. This should populate the new data.

That indeed changed a bit, it updated the score and info text, but it didn’t change the episode name.
Even with selecting replace all metadata.

I have the setting on every 30 days, the weird thing is … I just checked Family Guy and that is missing the episode since episode 14 in season 20.
So that should have changed ages ago right?

Is the episode name taken into account when you refresh metadata?
Or have I stumbled on a bug?

Also when I look on TheMovieDb the episode titles are already filled in for the whole season for those 2 Shows I mentioned.

And is TMDB prioritized and/or the only metadata provider for that library? As far as I'm aware, a metadata refresh should trigger a name change unless (portions of) the item's metadata are locked. You can check with Edit Metadata for that episode to see if anything is locked.

ETA: If you enabled "Prefer embedded titles over filenames" that may affect the titles that show up. I don't believe locking a series affects the episode naming, but I could be wrong about how that hierarchy operates.

TheMovieDb
The Open Movie Database

That is the prioritization order, so no not the only provider.
When I checked the metadata of the episode I saw that you can lock it indeed, but no that is not set.

RE: New episode metadata - Theetjuh - 2024-03-29

Is there anything that I can check why it doesn’t change the episode name after ‘Replace all metadata’?

RE: New episode metadata - bitmap - 2024-04-02

I might check your logs and see whether it's doing anything. You can enable debug logging but it's a lot of info to sift through. Start up Jellyfin fresh, refresh the metadata on the show, season, or episode, and grab your logs from Dashboard > Logs. Throw them on a pastebin site and post the link. Redact public IP addresses if present.

RE: New episode metadata - Theetjuh - 2024-04-03

Thanks, I need to check when I can make some time for this, just got butt load of work for the coming days Slightly-frowning-face