Jellyfin Forum
Connecting a Synology network folder - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Connecting a Synology network folder (/t-connecting-a-synology-network-folder)

Connecting a Synology network folder - savas - 2024-04-02

Hello

I've installed Jellyfin via apps on TrueNAS, which is running fine. I've yet to move my data to my TrueNAS which is the plan down the line.

I'd like to start using Jellyfin with my current media files located on my Synology Diskstation DS413j, however I'm having no luck connecting to the folder.

Quote:Shared network folder: If this folder is shared on your network, supplying the network share path can allow clients on other devices to access media files directly. For example, \\server or \\192.168.1.101.

I've tried adding the network folder as my Synology (lets say \\192.168.1.101\volume2) then on the above folder I added the directory I'd like to share, for example "Movies", however I'm unable to connect. Jellyfin stating

Quote:The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again.

After some searching I tried enabling NFS with NFSv4 support on Synology and gave permission for the IP of TrueNAS to access the volume, assuming there's a permission issue. Still no luck with that..

I'm assuming I've got a permission issue or I'm typing the location incorrectly or missing something?

After searching I keep reading the directory needs to be mounted to the OS? As in I need to mount the Synology folder to TrueNAS for then Jellyfin to access it? (here) But that does not seem right. I'm wondering if I am simply doing the syntax wrong on the URL and folder

Do I add \ for the folders, do I add before or after the IP? For example "\\192.168.1.101\volume2" or "\\192.168.1.101\volume2\" ?

RE: Connecting a Synology network folder - gnattu - 2024-04-02

You mount the folder to a mount point on you system then you pass in the mount point as the folder, and you should not use the shared network folder option anymore as it will be removed in Jellyfin 10.9.

RE: Connecting a Synology network folder - savas - 2024-04-02

I'm using TrueNAS and I'm not quite sure how to do that or if I'm understanding you correctly. How do I go about doing that? Do you mean mount it via Additional Storage?

(2024-04-02, 02:39 PM)gnattu Wrote: you should not use the shared network folder option anymore as it will be removed in Jellyfin 10.9
Noted.

RE: Connecting a Synology network folder - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-04-03

(2024-04-02, 10:34 PM)savas Wrote: I'm using TrueNAS and I'm not quite sure how to do that or if I'm understanding you correctly. How do I go about doing that? Do you mean mount it via Additional Storage?
Mounting is adding it onto the OS in a way that makes it look like the shared network is directly attached to the system.
In windows, mounting would basically be adding it with a letter path so that programs could open it as if it was a drive attached to the system.

TrueNAS is built as a "locked-down" appliance. The developers behind it expect you to only use what is in the GUI they provide.
They give you the freedom to mess around with the system shell, but the developers don't support you there.

There's no way to mount network shares with the GUI. You'll have to use the system shell to do this, but this is unsupported.
What that means is that a future update may wipe out your mounted shares since they expect you to not install or change things outside of the GUI.

It would be easier for you to transfer over your data from the Synology NAS to your TrueNAS server.
Is there a particular reason you haven't done so yet? Does your TrueNAS server currently not have enough storage? Or is it because you can't afford the down time as you wait for the data transfer to complete?

RE: Connecting a Synology network folder - savas - 2024-04-04

(2024-04-03, 02:25 AM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote:
(2024-04-02, 10:34 PM)savas Wrote: I'm using TrueNAS and I'm not quite sure how to do that or if I'm understanding you correctly. How do I go about doing that? Do you mean mount it via Additional Storage?
Mounting is adding it onto the OS in a way that makes it look like the shared network is directly attached to the system.
In windows, mounting would basically be adding it with a letter path so that programs could open it as if it was a drive attached to the system.

TrueNAS is built as a "locked-down" appliance. The developers behind it expect you to only use what is in the GUI they provide.
They give you the freedom to mess around with the system shell, but the developers don't support you there.

There's no way to mount network shares with the GUI. You'll have to use the system shell to do this, but this is unsupported.
What that means is that a future update may wipe out your mounted shares since they expect you to not install or change things outside of the GUI.

Thanks for the breakdown. It's only temporary so if it's something I can do just to get access to the media for the time being I can test out Jellyfin in more depth.

(2024-04-03, 02:25 AM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: It would be easier for you to transfer over your data from the Synology NAS to your TrueNAS server.
Is there a particular reason you haven't done so yet? Does your TrueNAS server currently not have enough storage? Or is it because you can't afford the down time as you wait for the data transfer to complete?
A few reasons, yes. I'm using 3.5 drives on the Synology NAS, the goal was to move over to 2.5 ssd's, but haven't got the drives yet, in addition, if I am not mistaken when I move the drives over, they'll require a format, which requires empty drives.