Jellyfin Forum
Transcoding fails on Roku with subtitles for some media - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Transcoding fails on Roku with subtitles for some media (/t-transcoding-fails-on-roku-with-subtitles-for-some-media)

Transcoding fails on Roku with subtitles for some media - Ouji - 2023-07-31

Hi!

Jellyfin version: 10.8.10 
Roku version: 1.6.6

Server was installed using the Ubuntu 20.04 repository.

I will see if I can provide logs later on.

I'm trying to play an anime episode on my Roku, but for this episode specifically, whenever I try to load the subtitles, it doesn't load the episode. This worked for most episodes, but it simply doesn't load on this one.

Whenever I try to load the subtitles, it says "There was an error retrieving the data for this item from the server". What is happening?

RE: Transcoding fails on Roku with subtitles for some media - TheDreadPirate - 2023-08-01

Is there a font issue or something? Are all the subs the same? Are they internal subtitle tracks or are they all ASS/SRT files?

RE: Transcoding fails on Roku with subtitles for some media - Byrd1911 - 2023-08-10

Ouji dateline='[url=tel:1690823665' Wrote: 1690823665[/url]']
Hi!

I'm trying to play an anime episode on my Roku, but for this episode specifically, whenever I try to load the subtitles, it doesn't load the episode. This worked for most episodes, but it simply doesn't load on this one.

Whenever I try to load the subtitles, it says "There was an error retrieving the data for this item from the server". What is happening?

Ouji dateline='[url=tel:1690823665' Wrote: 1690823665[/url]']
Hi!

Does the episode play without the subtitles fine?

RE: Transcoding fails on Roku with subtitles for some media - bitmap - 2023-08-10

I know others have asked questions, but you'll likely need to post your ffmpeg log (easiest retrieval is via Dashboard > Logs) of when this happens. Recreate the issue, then immediately find the most recent ffmpeg log in the list, open or download it, upload it to pastebin or somewhere similar, and post it. You can obfuscate any details you're worried about, but careful not to pull out any data that's needed for troubleshooting.

RE: Transcoding fails on Roku with subtitles for some media - Ouji - 2023-08-12

(2023-08-01, 02:51 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: Is there a font issue or something?  Are all the subs the same?  Are they internal subtitle tracks or are they all ASS/SRT files?

I will check if the fonts are the same, it's for Airing Anime that I'm getting from Sonarr, so they might be diffferent.

(2023-08-10, 04:56 PM)Byrd1911 Wrote: Does the episode play without the subtitles fine?

Yes, it does. I'm positive this is probably a subtitle issue, but I can't figure it out yet. Might have to change subs?

(2023-08-10, 10:04 PM)bitmap Wrote: I know others have asked questions, but you'll likely need to post your ffmpeg log (easiest retrieval is via Dashboard > Logs) of when this happens. Recreate the issue, then immediately find the most recent ffmpeg log in the list, open or download it, upload it to pastebin or somewhere similar, and post it. You can obfuscate any details you're worried about, but careful not to pull out any data that's needed for troubleshooting.

Yeah, I ended up posting on my last day where those Roku clients are located, I don't have Roku at home (neither I tried played the episode on Fire Stick, but I will give it a try).

I will reply back in 30 days when I'm bacxk to where the Roku clients are and I can get the logs, but by the way everyone is phrasing, it does seem like a subtitle issue.
Is there any recommendations of what I can do to avoid this in the future in regards to subtitles? I also use subtitles for Series and Movies as I'm not a native english speaker.

Thank you again for the all the help!