Jellyfin Forum
Transcoding Issues with Intel N100 CPU and First-Generation Fire TV Client - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: Transcoding Issues with Intel N100 CPU and First-Generation Fire TV Client (/t-transcoding-issues-with-intel-n100-cpu-and-first-generation-fire-tv-client)

Transcoding Issues with Intel N100 CPU and First-Generation Fire TV Client - Jinxovarrio - 2024-04-06

Hello Jellyfin Community,

I'm seeking assistance with a transcoding issue I'm encountering on my Jellyfin server, which is running on hardware with an Intel N100 CPU, known to support transcoding capabilities. I've ensured that my server is properly configured for transcoding, including enabling hardware acceleration and setting up the necessary codecs.

The primary client device I'm using is a first-generation Fire TV. It's worth noting that this client device does not support HEVC/x265 playback natively, which is why transcoding is crucial for my setup. Despite this, I've observed that Jellyfin is not initiating transcoding as expected, resulting in playback issues.

To give you a detailed overview, here are the settings I've currently enabled:

Hardware acceleration: Intel QuickSync (QSV)
Enabled hardware decoding for formats: H264, HEVC, MPEG2, VC1, VP8, VP9, AV1, HEVC 10bit, VP9 10bit
Enabled hardware encoding and opted for low-power Intel H.264 and HEVC encoders
Set the deinterlacing method to either YADIF or BWDIF, with a preference for hardware-native DXVA or VA-API decoders when available
Despite these configurations, and ensuring that my network connectivity is stable and fast enough to handle real-time transcoding and streaming, the expected transcoding process does not seem to be kicking in for the first-gen Fire TV client.

I've also checked the Jellyfin logs for any errors or warnings related to transcoding but haven't found anything that points to a clear issue. Additionally, both Jellyfin and all its dependencies, including FFmpeg, are up to date.

I would appreciate any insights, suggestions, or guidance on how to resolve this issue. Has anyone else experienced similar problems with transcoding on similar hardware or with the first-gen Fire TV as a client? Any advice on tweaking the server or client settings to ensure smooth playback would be highly valuable.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Best regards,

RE: Transcoding Issues with Intel N100 CPU and First-Generation Fire TV Client - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-06

Which player is the firestick using? A lot of Firestick users have better luck explicitly selecting libVLC.

RE: Transcoding Issues with Intel N100 CPU and First-Generation Fire TV Client - Jinxovarrio - 2024-04-06

In the two available players I have the following error:

An error has been found in the player reinventing
Too many mistakes. Stopping playback

I have also tried using an external VLC application and here it does play, but at the beginning it gives visual errors and finally the audio is heard but the video is not seen.

When I see Jellyfin it says that the video is being delivered without transcoding, the problem is that on the server I am not converting the file from x265 to x264 for the client I imagine...

Is there anything I can do? I have the configuration set correctly, right? and I have an n100 processor with quicksync

RE: Transcoding Issues with Intel N100 CPU and First-Generation Fire TV Client - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-06

Turn on debug logging, replicate the problem, then share the log with us via pastebin.

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/administration/troubleshooting/#debug-logging

In debug logging the client will tell the server what it is compatible with, but only with exo or libVLC.

Also, which specific Firestick/FireTV do you have?

RE: Transcoding Issues with Intel N100 CPU and First-Generation Fire TV Client - Jinxovarrio - 2024-04-06

I hope I have done it right, since the log was very long and I have looked for the part after making the change, but I am not sure, if there is an error, let me know or if I have confused the file, tell me the path of the file, since I have taken the general jellyfin log

here the pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/EnHzqvmw

I was trying to watch the movie called "The Beekeeper" that I saw that appears in the log that I attached

My model is a 2nd generation firetv

Thank you very much for your help

That model does support HEVC, but not 10-bit. It also looks like it IS transcoding.

What version of Jellyfin are you running? I see that you are using docker, which image are you using?

the image I am using is
image: lscr.io/linuxserver/jellyfin:latest

I'm on the latest version, I installed it last week

I think the problem has to do with this

https://www.reddit.com/r/jellyfin/comments/10ypnyi/intel_quick_sync_video_not_working/

Can you share the ffmpeg log associated with this playback?

RE: Transcoding Issues with Intel N100 CPU and First-Generation Fire TV Client - Jinxovarrio - 2024-04-07

Hello, first of all, thank you for all your help.

I managed to solve it, the problem is that I followed the dockerhub installation instructions and reinstalled in docker giving the appropriate permissions to access all the renders and using the official image and the transcode now works.

I would like to ask you what your default player is, I have left the option of always asking because in some movies and series one or the other works better but I don't know how it would work with the automatic option

thank you so much

RE: Transcoding Issues with Intel N100 CPU and First-Generation Fire TV Client - TheDreadPirate - 2024-04-07

On my Chromecast with Google TV, I explicitly selected exoplayer. But a lot of users here with Firesticks have had issues with exo and had better luck with libVLC.