Jellyfin Forum
Pushing changes - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-development)
+--- Forum: Web Development (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-web-development)
+--- Thread: Pushing changes (/t-pushing-changes)

Pushing changes - Dzvon2 - 2024-04-07

Sorry for double posting in a day, but I have a bugfix done (I think) for an issue form the issues list. For 10.9 is there a hard freeze on pushing changes? When I try to push to my branch I am being told I don't have permission to make changes. I see there aren't really anything other than the automated official branches up right now so I am suspecting this is the case, but just was wondering in case I've been doing something wrong.

RE: Pushing changes - gnattu - 2024-04-07

You need to fork the repository and push to your own fork, and then open a pull request. Not even team members can directly push into the master branch.

RE: Pushing changes - Dzvon2 - 2024-04-07

(2024-04-07, 10:33 AM)gnattu Wrote: You need to fork the repository and push to your own fork, and then open a pull request. Not even team members can directly push into the master branch.

I am just now realizing I missed this in the contributing instructions... Thanks... Just for my curiosities sake, what is the reason you have to fork the repo instead of just working on the main repo? Other repos I've worked on just have contributors clone the main repo, you make branches/PRs from that, but pushing directly to master is restricted. Is it to have a cleaner git history or something?

RE: Pushing changes - Efficient_Good_5784 - 2024-04-07

Forking and cloning is the same thing. GitHub just uses the term fork to describe cloning.

Just in case there's a misunderstanding here, working on a clone means your work stays on your clone of the code base. Pull requesting means your work will be reviewed before it gets accepted to the actual code base. All this is to avoid conflicts of multiple people working on the same file(s) and causing issues with each other's code.

Just imagine you finished your bug fix, but another person pushed their own change before you did that resulted in your bug fix needing to be reworked again. It would be a mess directly pushing both to main before a review could be done.

Also since it wasn't brought up yet, yes there's a code freeze right now for 10.9. Non-bug-fix pull requests won't be accepted until 10.9 drops.

You can still submit pull requests, but they'll just sit there until the code freeze ends.

RE: Pushing changes - Dzvon2 - 2024-04-07

(2024-04-07, 03:13 PM)Efficient_Good_5784 Wrote: All this is to avoid conflicts of multiple people working on the same file(s) and causing issues with each other's code.

Ah ok this makes a lot of sense. This is the first open source repo I have worked on before so there haven't been issues with conflicts really with the prior experience I have. But I guess since this is open source, it is kind of the wild west so it makes sense you would want people to have their own forks and open pull requests based off their remote repo. Thanks for the explanation.